why cant i play AVI files

Discussion in 'Community' started by Royal Pineapple, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

is there any way i can play an avi file on quicktime, or anyhting for that matter? so far i have been un sucessful in both QT and WMP
    any help?

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

3. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

yea i have the same problem to with alot of avi files (they will play on my pc but when i transfer them over they say serching for codec on apple web sight and then say codec can not be found.... also i have had aproblem with some of the mpeg files being cut short and only playing like the first 45 seconds or so its weird... video files defently play alot better on pcs so much for quicktime being the best video player out there...

4. vniow macrumors G4

5. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

Well, deffinently try VLC its a very good player. Quicktime can play all movies and pure DiVX movies. The only problem is that there is many "cuts" of DiVX out there. DiVX if I remember right is MPEG2 coding doing a MPEG 4 type conpression scheme. The thing is that there is no standardization for DiVX, there should be with all the people out there supporting it, but there has been many mods to players. If I remember right there is DiVX files that show up as true DiVX files but instead of having the normal MP3 layer in them they have a .wma files for the sound, and since MS owns all the .wma codecs, there is no way to have these decoded unless there is some open source way to do it. There is more variation out there in the DiVX then there should be, thank goodness there is some people who decode the .wma layer into a normal MP3 layer. If I remember right the .wma version is a specific version done by MS for Windows Media Player. BTW- how is MPlayer?

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

avi files and macs don't like each other. Most of the time. Most
    of the time you can get them to work if you try to play them in
    a couple of different players (WMP, Real, QT, etc.). If all else fails
    you can use a PC. ;)

7. alset macrumors 65816

alset

DarkNovaMatter asked, so here's some feedback...

MPlayer is great. I run into occasional sound bugs, but stopping the movie and starting it again resolves that problem. Sound bugs are a rarity in the current release and seem to be related to the encoding structure of the file, as they are more prominent on some files than others.

Other nice features in MPlayer include:

The ability to jump forward/backward by ten seconds in a file while in full screen mode. In QT (and VLC, I believe) you need to use the slider on the Transport to FFWD and RWD.

A window that acts as a playlist, allowing you to load up multiple files for playing.

Good support for subtitles.

I have been an MPlayer junkie for about four months and wouldn't trade it for anything. Anyone who hasn't tried it should download it right away.

Dan

8. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

Hmmm, sounds interesting to try. While I know about the whole AVI file situation (unfortunately from trying to play one file) I got refered to it by a freind, loved it since version 3.0. My only problem is why is the same file when tried on other machines (through some freinds), plays worse on my machine even when a lesser machine can play it?, the system the same etc., etc. It was a particular AVI file for Deus Ex: Invisible War- all of the other people could play it at a good frame rate and also it didn't have a video problem (aka- the video paused, then went forward but the movie kept going on at the pace as a normal play). The system was the same, Same OS (X that is) same everything and yet mine was the only one that did poor playing it. I have no idea, oh and is it true that MPlayer can do WM files? cause if it can I can I have a perfect use for it (another DX2 file- the only reason why I tried WMP for mac- BTW is it me or is this really bad piece of software for the mac ?- very skippy and unresponsive for me even in 9)

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i also run the quicktime-vlc -mplayerr combo in that order. MPlayer is a decent player and the search type feature where you can advance forward quickly is sweet. My only issue is that you need ot learn the keystrokes.

example in most palyer you hit apple + F to goto full screen. Now in VLC and Quicktime you can hit esc to go back to the previous size but in Mplayer it closes the files so oyu must hit apple+f to reduce the size. Just one of those things i noticed.

11. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Actually, you can press F without the Cmnd key to get out of full screen mode.

Dan

12. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I personally like VLC, it play tons of different formats. Try it out sometime.

13. comrade macrumors regular

Hmm. I was going to post the same question. Another problem I have run into is sometimes mpgs or mpegs (same thing right) that I download won't play and will say I am missing some codec. Don't know why that happens.

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Quicktime itself only supports MPEG1 streams (and MPEG4, I guess now)... but not MPEG2. You need to buy Apple's MPEG2 codec, or use a 3rd party player such as VLC (VideoLan) -- which supports it.

As for the AVI question...

people get confused... AVI is not a specfic format. It is a container file format. The video can be encoded in many types of codecs. Some, Quicktime supports... others, quicktime does not.

If it happens to be a DIVX AVI... you can play it with MPlayerOS X or VLC. If it's an older codec that has no OS X support... you are out of luck

arn