Why can't I print 2 pictures per page in iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EricNau, Dec 22, 2006.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, the title sums it up... I'm trying to print two 4x6 pictures on one sheet of 8.5"x11" photo paper using iPhoto, but they print about half that size and in the wrong direction. In the preview print window there is a little yellow exclamation point, although it doesn't tell me the problem.

What have I overlooked?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How are you doing it? I did this:

Select two photos
    File -> Print
    Style: Standard Print
    Size: 4x6
    Duplicates: 1
    All the sub-options turned off

And it seems to do what I'd expect it to do.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I did this too, the preview looked like it was perfect.

4. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sorry, forgot to mention, it's the same picture, so under duplicates I selected 2.

(I can print two different pictures on the same page just fine.)

5. Savings macrumors member

I just opened up iPhoto 6, selected two photos, went to the Print dialog, selected Standard Prints, size 4x6, and unchecked One Photo Per Page. Looked fine and I didn't get any warnings. The warning was a yellow triangle with an exclamation point, right? I think if you mouse over or click the yellow warning, it provides explanation tooltip text. Usually when I receive that warning, it has to do with the photo's resolution being too low.

If this is some sort of iPhoto bug also, OmniGraffle a try. Seems to work nice for cramming a large number of photos onto photo paper, especially with the nice auto-alignment features. I used to use AppleWorks in OS9 to do that kind of photo printing before I tried the version of OmniGraffle that came free with my Mac.

EDIT: seems to only happen when trying to print two of the same image. When I select two different images and choose duplicate, it shows the first photo twice on the same page with no triangle. You could right click on the image and choose "Duplicate" and then select the duplicate and the original image and print both of those on the same page, which seems to not have the bug.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When I select duplicates, I too get the warning triangle, but with no explanation of what is wrong. But at least the preview window looks correct. Does the image in the preview window correspond to what you get on paper, Eric, or is it only the paper that's wrong?

7. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It looks fine in the preview window, but if you click the preview button at the bottom, that accurately shows what prints out.

8. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

While it was a very good theory, it actually does the same thing, only this time, it doesn't display the yellow triangle. You can see for yourself by clicking the print preview button at the bottom.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, even when I clicked the preview button, there was no problem with my images in the print preview window, either. I'm stumped!

10. Savings macrumors member

Does the image come out fine if you only print ONE of it to a page?

11. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

OK, I think I may have figured it out (or at least found a work around). If I only select one picture, and select 2 duplicates, but do NOT select 'zoom and crop,' it prints regularly, despite the fact that the yellow triangle is still there.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, gosh, sorry, when I commented on making the options unchecked...I should have been more specific. The zoom/crop one messes up pictures for me too.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Sounds like you found the issue, but I was going to suggest making sure you have the Page Setup set for the right orientation and paper size. Ah, I guess iPhoto's print dialogue is a bit different from normal and includes paper size right there. (I always print from Photoshop, so..)