Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I've been trying to track down a file and I have finally been given the info to find it.

It was in ~/Library/Caches buried under a few other folders.

Once I knew where it was I tried a search again but still couldn't find it.

Why is this.

Here's an example, in my ~/Library/Caches is a Safari Folder but if I search for it on the HD, I can only find a ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari or ~/Library/Safari but no ~/Library/Caches/Safari

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Double-click your hard drive
Then open Users
Open your username
open Library
open Caches
and see if Safari is listed there. What version of OS X are you running?

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Yep there is a Safari folder there right where it should be, but a HD search will not find it. However a HD search will find both Safari folder that are one level up in the Library folder and also one level down in the Metadata folder.

It was actually a different folder I was looking for not the Safari one but I thought that was a good example or the problem.

I'm using 10.4.2

If you do a HD search with 'Safari' in the field do get the Safari folder in ~/Library/Caches/Safari?

A seach will also not find the folder from my home directory or from the Library directory, but it will find it if I search in the Cache directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.