Why can't I see my Trash folder in Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by the Falcon, Aug 6, 2005.

1. the Falcon macrumors member

I can't see my Trash folder in Mail. My girlfriend has the previous iBook model and she does have a Trash folder in Mail. I myself have the latest iBook model, but for some reason I apparently don't have a Trash folder in Mail.
    Do I or do I not have a Trash folder? Is it there but just hidden or do I really not have one?
    In the Accounts preferences, I turned on "Move deleted messages to a separate folder", but when I delete messages I have no idea where they go to. Not into any folder I can see, anyways.
    If anybody can tell where my deleted messages go and how I can get to see my Trash folder, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. reh macrumors 6502a

Restart mail. The Tiger version of mail seems a little funky about showing some of those folders for the first time.

3. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that did help. I do have a Trash folder now after all, though there's not that much in it, which is weird considering I deleted quite a lot of mail (all kinds of stuff I didn't need to keep after migrating).
    Iterestingly enough, though, inside the Trash folder, I now have two sub trash folders, one titled "On My Mac" and one with the name of the account I'm using. What's up with that?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's normal. You should have one sub-trash can for each account and one for "On My Mac". If you delete mail from account 'A', it should go to 'Trash/A'. If you have a local piece of mail and delete that, it should go to 'Trash/On My Mac'.