why can't I watch HD movies on apple tv?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by hotec, Apr 13, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2009
    I purchased movies in the itunes applestore. itunes is connected via apple airport extreme to apple tv. both, itunes and apple tv have the latest software.
    I can watch/hear on my flat screen my complete music, musicvideos and all regular films (purchased via apple itunes store) BUT I CAN'T WATCH THE PURCHASED HD movies like the newest James Bond or Transporter 3. My screen is totaly white, no ton, no movie.
    AND I can't see my RENTED movies, they are not shown in the apple tv menu.

Nobody at apple can help me, I don't know, whats wrong.
    I disconnected everything, and my apple tv is connected to the flat screen with an HDMI cable.

Who can help??????????????

2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2008
    United States
    I'm not sure what the issue could be, but others can help you with that. For now I'd recommend changing the thread title.

Currently it says "Why can I watch HD Movies on apple tv?"

it should say can't...

i'm not trying to be picky, but it could be a bit confusing (they are complete opposites)
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2009

you are write, but my english is not perfect, I'm German, sorry
    and thanks !
  4. macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
  5. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2008
    this happened to me once... all i did was reset the Mac and the :apple:TV

give that a try and see if it is any better
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2009
    that was the apple recommandation.
    I did everything, resetting, disconnecting all cables
    but nothing happens.
  7. macrumors 6502

Sep 23, 2008
    Two different things.

Rented movies can only sit on one device at a time. If you downloaded them on your PC/mac, the file stays there and cannot be watched on another device unless you transfer it over. If you do that, then it disappears from your PC/mac.

Re the white screen for HD movies, no idea. Either your HDMI cable or your ATV is goosed. Eliminate things in order, ie try a new HDMI cable, then try it with a different TV. If they don't work, its your ATV.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2007
    I had the same problem trying to play an HD movie after resetting to factory settings. I just entered my iTunes account info in the Apple TV settings and the movie played correctly again.
  9. macrumors G3

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    How do you have your apple tv connected to your tv?
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I found the solution... for me at least

I changed my Apple TV to display in 1080i from 729p and it corrected my "white box" problem with all HD content on Apple TV.