Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
most video chats usually comprise of people going...can you see me? i can see you!!!! etc etc etc infinite loop.

there is a very small number of people that use it for something useful.

my logitech Quickcam pro for notebooks works fine with my PB, but not with ichat; no one i know uses ichat anyway.

Adium is good for me. i just wish that they would enable a greater support for showing emoticons, for example, when i type :D, it comes up as : D on adium. they overcomplicate the key sequences for these smileys.

S

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
macOSX-tastic said:
most video chats usually comprise of people going...can you see me? i can see you!!!! etc etc etc infinite loop.

there is a very small number of people that use it for something useful.

That's because there are so few people who are equipped to do it right!

I was at a friend's house one day and his teenage daughter fired up a webcam chat with one of her friends. The thing was dark and blotchy, but (to their credit) not blurry and grainy like most $20 webcams are. The video was moving jerkily along at a steady 3-5 fps. Her dad looked at it and proudly said to me "Now THAT's about as pristine a webcam image as you're ever going to get."

Uh.... no, because when I fire up an iChat video stream with another Mac user, we can do full-motion, full-screen video with hardly any lag or jerks at all...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
HughJ said:
iChat is crap, Video support is awful & will NOT Work with anyone using AIM (that would be a total of three people i know who use it), Yahoo is ok, but can be problematic with video, Mercury is too damned demanding and is really flakey

Well, you're clearly angry about this...but... I have successfully used iChat to do video with AIM users....

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
lamina said:
[rant]
WHYYYYYY can't Microsoft Messenger for Mac OS receive/transmit webcam? Why am I limited to iChat that NO ONE USES?

AIM is the #1 instant messenger, so I don't get why you think nobody uses it.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
slb said:

I've noticed that often there's large areas and communities that are pretty much dedicated to one messenging client. I have friends outside of the province that use Yahoo. However, I'm yet to meet someone at my school, or even in my city or province (though I probably just haven't met enough people) that don't use MSN as their IM client. So one can see why it would appear that no one uses a different one.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
slb said:

It would seem that this claim is pretty open to debate -- a study done in Apr. 06 pegged MSN as having the most users worldwide and didn't find a huge predominance of any one client in the US. Anecdotally, it's North America where AIM is relatively more popular, as others have noted. But what data supports the view that it is the "#1 instant messenger?"

From the study:

The MSN Messenger application has the strongest penetration worldwide, with 61 percent of worldwide IM users utilizing the application in February.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
HughJ said:
anyone using AIM ...

should be shot. dead. aol sucks. anything to do with aol or from aol sucks. anyone who says 'aol is ok' sucks. anyone who knows what the letters 'aol' stands for sucks. just typing the letters 'aol' sucks.

msn is no better.

anything else is fine.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Because Microsoft probably wants people to use windows and doesn't want to give the Mac version of messenger any functionality.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
im in australia and i wish that most people used AIM regardless of whether video chats work that well or not. ive come to realise that msn is really slow and has sucky features. most of my friends who use it havent come to realise that. most of them think that instant messaging IS only msn. ichat is a wonderful client and probably has the best video chat features BUT knowone i know uses AIM or .mac so ichat is withering away on my mac. THANK GOD for adium!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.