Why cant my Apple TV 1st Gen play MPEG-4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SimplyMac2012, Dec 12, 2012.

1. SimplyMac2012, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

macrumors member

SimplyMac2012

Question: Why can my Apple TV 1st Gen only play one film out of my library in iTunes i have TED the movie its saved as MPEG-4 just like my other films.

When i try to play anything else the ATV begins to play i get screen freeze and the speech comes out less frequent.

I own a Apple TV 3 and plays back all of my library without any hassle.

Regards

Adam

2. macrumors 68000

If you ripped the movie with ATV3 preset, it won't play on the ATV1. Either rip 2 copies, one for each or rip in ATV1 format to watch on both.

3. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's a hassle. My ATV3 will play almost anything. Even many pass through remuxed AVI files play in their new m4v containers.

ATV1 is very picky though and always needs a pretty narrow and specific profile for files to work.

4. thread starter macrumors member

SimplyMac2012

Re: Which Profile to Use for Apple TV Gen 1

Ok thanks guys for your replies but i am slightly still confused i use Handbrake & Total Video Converter i have tried in Handbrake ATV 1 but when i play back video is scrambled and audio is all over the place

Can you just let me know which profile to use so i can play back through not only my apple tv 3 but the 1st gen as well

Regards

Adam

:mad:

5. macrumors 68000

It sounds like the movies don't have the copy protection removed when converting. Are you on a Mac or a PC?

The more details you give us, the more likely we can help.