Why can't my new MacBook connect to WPA-PSK wireless?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tekhna, Jan 11, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    Airport sucks. A lot. It works just fine in WEP or unprotected networks, but WPA-PSK it doesn't do a damn thing. It shows it as connected with a full signal, but Safari, iChat, etc... won't connect to the internet. For some reason Azureus works, but it's going at an amazing 146 bytes/sec and then back down to 0. What's going on here guys? This is my first Mac and I am sorely disappointed in Airport.
  2. macrumors regular

Paul Wright

Aug 24, 2006
    i had the same problem took it to the store and kindly replaced the airport card :)
  3. macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It does sound like a hardware issue since my PowerBook connects to WPA-PSK protected networks no problem.
  4. macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    I use WPA/WPA2 with my Airport Extreme (g) and MBP CD. No trouble whatsoever.

Do you have access to a different router that you could try?
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2003

i doubt its hardware as it connects to other types of connections fine !!!

so it must be software ! think people

got the same problem on my macbook pro still no fix wake up apple and yes iv got the latest wireless patch !!!!

anyways have a word with apple but i guess you're in the same boat as me just a waiting game now i suppose
  6. macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2003
    the problem is that wpa-psk can use tkip or aes .. and I found that macs only work with tkip...

try changing the encryption to tkip in the base station
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2003
    in a forest
    Just a quick snipit from the Airport Admin Utility help files:

"WPA and WPA2 have two modes: Enterprise mode, which uses a RADIUS server for user authentication, and Personal mode, which relies on the capabilities of Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) for WPA, and AES-CCMP for WPA2..."<snip>

These help files actually have a small amount of helpful information.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2007
    I have a similar problem with my MBP 17" C2D..It won't connect to my WPA-PSK network.
    I don't think is an HW problem cause the MBP connects to WEP or unprotected network without any trouble.

IMHO is a software compatibility problem between my USR 9110 router and the Airport card.
  9. macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2007
    creat new location did it for me!

I wasted 6 hours of my life with this same issue. what fixed it for me was to create a new location. hope this helps someone and that apple gets their stuff together!!!
  10. macrumors member

Nov 1, 2004
    mine has no problem connecting to WPA-PSK, but it does tend to drop due to 10.4.10, so i reverted back and everything is fine now.
  11. macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2008
    Hi, I'm having similar problem.
    Brand new Mac Pro, trying to connect to my WAP-PSK and after adding the KEY (As password) it says that password is wrong. Of course I checked 10000 times that the password is correcnt, the MAC address is in the router access list.

It did connect first time around when I UNprotected the network so the the MAC PRO could see it in the initial setup screens. Then I added th MAC address, added protection, key to MAC and everything was fine for about one hour.

Then after a re-boot the problem about not being able to connect started

Any idea? What do you mean creating a new location?

12. macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2010
    May need to toggle SSID

I ran into the same problem with my MacBook Pro. I don't broadcast my SSID, but when I enabled it, the MacBook connected. I then turned my SSID back to being off and the MacBook continued to be able to access the connection.
  13. macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2012
    Click the  apple icon on the top-left of your Mac, open System Preferences then Network then Wi-fi
    on the bottom-right you can see the Advanced... button, just click it. on the first tab "Wi-Fi" Click the plus button;

Network Name: Your wifi SSID Name
    Security: Any (Personal)
    Password: Your wifi password

just click OK.
    then another ok, maybe you need input your Mac Password to apply the change.Now your Mac will auto join your wifi.
    That's all!

14. macrumors 6502

Feb 28, 2011
    And you're absolutely sure that the capitalization of the passwords is correct?