Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macitect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
in a nutshell...

I'm trying to look up a patent on the US Patent website, but Safari trys to display at FULL image size instead of a reduced size. The HELP menu says macs must "be able to specifically display TIFF files using ITU T.6 or CCITT Group 4 (G4) compression." and recommends a minimum Quicktime 4.1 for Macs. I'm running 10.3.8 iMac SE (500 Mhz) w/640MB ram & QT 6.5.2.
I don't have a problem if I switch to Opera or (dare i say it) IE so I'm assuming the problem is w/ Safari....

Here is the link

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm

Type in a number (100,000 is a good one) then click on IMAGES. The image loads but Safari doesn't correct the size.

Any help would be most appreciated!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Macitect said:
in a nutshell...

I'm trying to look up a patent on the US Patent website, but Safari trys to display at FULL image size instead of a reduced size. The HELP menu says macs must "be able to specifically display TIFF files using ITU T.6 or CCITT Group 4 (G4) compression." and recommends a minimum Quicktime 4.1 for Macs. I'm running 10.3.8 iMac SE (500 Mhz) w/640MB ram & QT 6.5.2.
I don't have a problem if I switch to Opera or (dare i say it) IE so I'm assuming the problem is w/ Safari....

Here is the link

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm

Type in a number (100,000 is a good one) then click on IMAGES. The image loads but Safari doesn't correct the size.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Works for me.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Every version of Safari I've ever used has loaded those patent office images as FULL SIZE HUMONGO IMAGES. Still don't know why.

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
I know this isn't what you asked, but Firefox will automatically scale the images for you, if you set it in the Preferences.

I don't know of a way to do that in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.