why can't the iPhone store infinite number of recent calls, SMS, and emails

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M. Malone, Jun 16, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    I don't understand why the iPhone can't use its large hard drive to store all calls, SMS, and emails that have been sent or made. I would love to have an extensive call history and see every SMS I sent and received. Personally, I don't put any music, videos, or photos in my iPhone. I'm sure there are many people who are the same and would like to utilize the hard drive.
  2. macrumors 65816

Jun 21, 2007
    Well, I believe it can store about 100k SMS messages, so I wouldn't worry too much there.
  3. macrumors 604

Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    Something might be wrong with your iPhone? I'm able to store all my calls, text messages, and emails (stored in All Mail within Gmail on my iPhone) and I can access that anytime I want. All text messages are saved individually, and remain on my iPhone unless I "delete" them by choice. Also, your call history is on your AT&T wireless bill at the end of each month, depending on your billing cycle. :confused:
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    emails only stores the last 250.

SMS App is choking and lagging big time after some hundred messages.

Calls are limited I think to 100
  5. macrumors 65816

May 28, 2007
    Northern NJ
    If you want to look at an extensive call history, look at your detail monthly phone bill.
  6. macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2007
    thats because the database is massive
    surely you dont need all those messages?
  7. macrumors 6502

May 31, 2008
    Err, might have a bit of OCD to want to keep all of those data? :confused:
  8. macrumors 603

Mar 20, 2007
    I was a bit upset about that when moving from my Treo to the iPhone, but I guess I got over that.

I think Apple is only using one db for the SMS messages (when they should really use one per converation). It takes the phone a few seconds to parse the db. The call list is only for the past 30 days (or so) as is the voicemail. This was mainly done because on a fringe few folks actually like looking at the first call they made from their phone (or first voicemail or first sms). Other folks just don't care.

Can Apple fix it? Yes they can, will they? Who knows...

As the others said, if you must look at the call info, just consult your past bills, they are all available in OLAM.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jul 13, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    From the programmer side of things, you must place limits on your data structures.

(Basically you must define the size of things that hold the data.)