Why can't they make a simple telephone that works!

Discussion in 'Community' started by winwintoo, Nov 26, 2004.

1. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    It used to be that the telephone was the one thing that never broke. You could have a telephone for YEARS and nothing would ever go wrong with it.

Now it seems like every week I'm out searching for either a battery for the silly thing or a new telephone altogether.

This latest *top of the line* model has been in service for less than a month and today it's telling me that the handset needs to be closer to the base station - the f*^(*&^^%*&^% handset IS ON THE F(*&^*&%*^& BASESTATION!!

What is this world coming to??

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    "For years, I hoped that someday my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    If the question is "why", the answer is, as usual, "creeping featurism". People compare bulletlists of features - the one with the most features sells. Reliability has really taken a hit lately too. In Consumer Reports last test of telephones, they added a test where they dropped each phone off a table to see if any broke. They were shocked to find that over half of the phones broke and wouldn't work after being dropped less than 3 feet.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    How about a simple telephone without any features that is tied to a wall with a cord.

They don't need batteries, and keep you within a few feet of the outlet.

But they generally don't have many problems.

Edit: Tie yourself to a wall and get rid of the features and batteries. :p
  5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be

and they work in a power outage....
  6. winwintoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    Well I took this phone apart and gave it a stern talking to and got it working again, but tomorrow I'm off to the store to get a phone like the one pictured above - if I can find one :D

The problem with creeping featurism is that there is one feature that is useful that's only available in the expensive model with all the other useless features that tend to break down.

After going through a few microwave ovens in the last couple of years too, I finally found one for $39 at Wal-Mart that only has an On/Off switch - works like a charm. Doesn't have an annoying clock or timer that needs to be reset every other day and it doesn't take a nuclear physicist to operate it.

Take care, Margaret
  7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    My stupid cell is a Moterola, approximately one year old. I almost never use it because I buy minutes, rather than a monthly plan. Today, I needed someone to call me, and the stupid thing doesn't answer calls. I get a beep when I get a voicemail, but no call. I called the helpline, but their recomendations don't work. I guess I have to either call my provider to see if it's their issue, or take the phone in to get it fixed. I have used it for less than 120 minutes. :rolleyes:

edit:spelling, coherence. I've been up since 4:00 doing the shopping thing.
  8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    I used to get this too. I was told it was due to low signal -- when the signal wasn't sufficient to sustain a call, it would just go straight to voice mail. This was back in the day with AT&T, and I still notice it every so often with Cingular (pre and post AT&T).

And I agree about the complicated phone thing! This goes especially for cell phones -- why do we have a call button, an end-call button, a gazillion numbers, calculators, the internet, etc. etc. all packed into a phone! The option should be there for people who want that, but why hasn't someone made a phone with numbers and a "call" button? To end a call, just close the phone. So simple.
  9. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    You should be able to plug them into the wall and call people. There's really no need for caller ID, listening to salespeople and yelling at prank callers spices up your day :)

God I'm lonely...:)
  10. winwintoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    ... and while I'm at it, what about the photo-copy machine at work. Used to be, you'd open the lid, slap down your original, punch the button, and it would spit out a slightly grainy but recognizable copy and you were done.

Now you have to decide if you want single or double sided, what size and quality of paper, do you want it stapled or hole-punched, collated, sorted, stacked or interleaved, and after you've made all those decisions, and punched all those buttons - if you're lucky and the cursed thing doesn't jam - you get a grainy, blotchy, barely recognizable copy and a warning that you'd better call the repair depot (meaning you're going to spend the next week on the phone with them) so you scurry back to your cube and pretend you had just gone to the washroom - who me? no I didn't use the photocopier is it jammed again?

Don't get me started on the group printer...........

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    And 60-button remote controls littered with indecipherable acronyms...

All geeky overly-complex engineering-led industrial design.
    Apple is a rare exception...
  12. winwintoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    Rented a movie. OK, now what. I think we need that other remote, the one for the DVD player. OK, got it. Hmm that's not working, now I remember, this new tv has something different and we need the remote for it, not this universal one. Where did I put the remote for the new tv? <rummage around> found it! what no batteries? borrow the batteries from this universal remote we don't need it now anyway. Ahhh now it's working but the sound isn't any good. Put the batteries back in the universal remote see if we can adjust the sound there..................

Hey there was a Friends re-run on channel 53 - why didn't we just watch that instead?

Between everything needing different size batteries and all the stuff that you need to plug in, it's a mess. And don't electricians know that we have a gazillion things to plug in, why do they still think they need to *hide* the outlets behind the sofa where we can't get at them. Put the darn things out in the middle of the wall where we can reach them. By the time we string all those powerbars and extension cords, it looks like spaghetti anyway.

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    My mom has an old Panasonic cordless phone that we've had for years. That thing has bumps and bruises all over it, and has been used as a dog chewing toy more than once, but it keeps on chuggin' along.

When my mom used to smoke, she would go out to the garage and talk on the phone. One day, she was done talking and put the phone on the car bumper. Next thing we know, we are returing from our cousin's house (appx. 15 minute highway drive) when kids in the car next to us start making phone signs with their hands, and pointing to our bumper. Somehow the phone got lodged in between the bumper and the car, and went along for the ride. One heck of a phone...