Why can't they sell iApps separately?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wowoah, Dec 29, 2004.

1. wowoah macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    I hate that the iLife suite has to be sold as a suite. I don't own a digital video camera, so I have no use for iDVD or iMovie, and I'm not much of a musician, so I don't use GarageBand ever. The only reason I would upgrade to iLife '05 when it comes out is to get the newest version of iPhoto, and $39 seems like quite a bit for photo organization software.

Is there any reason Apple just doesn't separate the iApps and sell them for $10 or even $15 each?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Because Apple are Apple, and will to a large extent do as they please :rolleyes:

...still no sign of that two button scroll wheel mouse...
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Mainly because if they were going to charge for them independently each iApp would warrant the $39 price tag by itself. iView Media costs $59 without any photo editing capabilities, and other apps comparable to iMovie/iDVD/Garageband cost upward of that figure. You have to be joking with your $10-15 price tag!

Just think that you're getting a good deal for iPhoto and the other apps come as free bonuses.
  4. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    Plus, the whole thing about the iApps is integration. If you were to use iMovie without having iPhoto, you'd have problems importing pictures, and so on. They're a package. They work together.
  5. Earendil macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    Right. The day Apple splits the iApps up, is the day they charge us $49 a piece for them, as that is the going market for not only software, but software of that quality and purpose. Just because you get 5 apps for $49, does not mean you're getting screwed because you don't use all the apps...

6. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    I was wondering just the opposite today... why is not keynote part of iLife. I think they should offer two packages, 1. software not requiring a superdrive and 2. software requiring a super drive and keynote would be part of iLife. - just my opinion.
  7. rock6079 macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    i was aboutto post, andn then i realised pretty much everyone eles said the same thing i was going to. do u realise that $49 is worth even one of the programs, i mean even iTunes is worth $49. apple pretty much only charges for packaging, i mean at one point they were all free, to d.l. a few GB's isnt practical now
  8. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    That would just leave iDVD on its own and so there isn't really a point, anyway it can be installed on a non-superdrive machine, just that when you come to burn the disc you would need to send an achive to a computer that had the superdrive
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    There's always going to be people stopping by to complain about a products price, even if it's a bargain in the industry.

Heck, even if you were selling crack for a buck -- somebody is probably going to grumble about your high price.
  10. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    A whole buck?!
    That better be some good crack! :eek:

Anyway, I think there's no good reason for Apple to split up iLife. We're getting a pretty good deal as-is.
    The worst thing Apple could do is offer different sets of iLife apps (al la the with or without Keynote post above). That would just make upgrading software confusing for people who don't know what they're looking for.
  11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    It would make the software sound cheapo. For just 19.95, you can have iPhoto mailed to your home. Besides, each program included in iLife is worth 50 bucks easily. I am surprised they sell it that cheap because it's less than buying Windows programs of this quality.

You can always search for shareware or commerical apps also.
  12. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Keynote doesn't really fit in with the iLife them - remember it's the Microsoft Office for the rest of your life!

If Apple ever does release an office application suite then Keynote should be bundled with that but not iLife.