Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I still can believe how crap Apple's music app is, you still can't have your song list in artist order. I mean how basic a function is that, it is the default setting on the iTunes desktop version, so they must think it is important. I am not interested in the streaming thing, well not yet anyway, they will have to improve things and make it a lot less confusing before i start using it, but at the moment i just want a decent music app where i can find songs by artist easily. It is quite unbelievable how poor this app is considering Apple are supposed to be the market leaders.

Or why can't we have an expand all button in the Artist section, that would work the same as a song list in artist order.

Reactions: Liam555

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
You can change this in the settings.

Settings > Music > Sort Albums > By Title

I suppose the heading isn't obvious as it references Albums rather than Songs, but it does work for both.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
UK
You can change this in the settings.

Settings > Music > Sort Albums > By Title

I suppose the heading isn't obvious as it references Albums rather than Songs, but it does work for both.

Thanks but already tried that, it just puts you albums in order by title, you still have to mess about expanding all the albums, i am wanting a song list in artist order.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Thanks but already tried that, it just puts you albums in order by title, you still have to mess about expanding all the albums, i am wanting a song list in artist order.

I have it working OK here.

When you are in My Music, are you tapping on the drop down at the top (between Recently Added and your list of music) where you can select Artists, Albums, Songs etc?

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I have it working OK here.

When you are in My Music, are you tapping on the drop down at the top (between Recently Added and your list of music) where you can select Artists, Albums, Songs etc?

I am, i can either have my albums in either artist order or title order, but that is not what i am looking for.

I am looking for either of the following-

Song list in artist order, rather than alphabetical by song name.

OR

Album list in artist order but where you can expand all albums, which would basically give you the same as song list in artist order.

If you open up iTunes in OS X click on "Album by Artist" which is the default setting you will know what i mean. You can see all you songs in album order on one big list and just scroll up and down choosing which song you want and not have to keep opening and closing albums and skipping about. All seems like basic functionality too me, after all we have it in iTunes.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Sorry - I misread you originally - I thought you were looking for songs in alphabetical order.

So really they just need the setting for album sorting for songs as well.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Thats right, doesn't seem like i am wanting anything special really, just what we already have in iTunes.

Cant see why Apple won't let us have such basic functionality in IOS.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I think the trouble is that there are so many ways of doing it, that everything isn't necessarily obvious to the devs. Although as you say, that's the default in iTunes so it would obviously make sense to have some consistency.

I have a bugbear with Spotify, which is that in Your Music if you tap on Artists, you just go to a big long list of songs, not split by album.

Apple Music does this as I would like - tap on Artist to go to a list of their albums.

From there you can tap on the album art to start playing the album, or tap on the album title area to go to the list of tracks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.