Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seraphx17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Other than the first 20 minutes when it was literally impossible to order, I keep on seeing "Not eligible" on all of the models.

Has anyone been able to pre-order for pick-up?

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I would like to know the same thing as well. I want to pre-order to pickup in store, but am also seeing the not eligible status on the checkout page. I'm currently waiting to speak with an Apple live chat representative regarding this issue, and will post their reply here.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Apple may want to leave some stock for walk-ins. And with only 8 business days until launch, it may just be too hard to ensure the proper product distribution required to handle pick ups.

I'm sure Apple has its reason that it'll share with us at... . . sorry. I couldn't type that with a straight face.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Here's an official Apple representative's reply regarding pre-ordering the iPad online and picking it up in store:

Currently due to the extremely high order volume, in-store pick up will not be an option. However, it'll ship to your address just as fast as it would be available in-store.

I can't say for sure when it will become available. I would recommend checking back tomorrow morning to see if it's available!

nick7138

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Apparently, I was one of the lucky ones. I was able to get it for instore pickup just before it went down again. According to a representative:
That order option is having difficulties with the high volume today. It will be eligible for instore pick up still.

EIGHTYTHREE

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
Because the store would be 100x more crowded than its already gonna be...they would have to have armed guards at the door like a Vegas pawn shop! Apple stores are crowded enough when there isn't even a new release item,so you would have people who waited overnight for the launch and people waiting for in-store pickup, and this doesn't include all the extra people who are around just cause of hype. Where do you think all these people will fit? It just doesn't make sense to have total in-store pickup for this type of launch. Its just not safe.

and the other simple reason is the amount of stock readily available.

Last edited:

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
The option to pick up in store was unavailable to me all day. I just tried now and was able to select pick up at then Apple store in Rockaway, NJ.

Im sort of still on the fence about if I want to upgrade, if I put the order in now can I cancel before the 16th with no problem? I want to see how much I can sell my iPad 2 for before determining if I want the new one.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I'm also able to select pre-order with pick up in store option in NYC at both the Fifth Avenue and Grand Central stores.

Seraphx17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Yep, it looks like store pickup just went live. Now the question is what time will they let us in!

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Are deliveries held until 5pm or are they delivered normally throughout the day

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I would believe they would want to keep the stores clear for the folks trying to buy an iPad in store.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Load on shipments, capacity in store for space, number of sales transactions, number of customers etc. Apple is masterful at supply chain management. They spread it out to minimize problems.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
i would just order for shipment and avoid the crowd. no matter what shipping option you choose, you will probably receive it on launch day based on what's happened in the past.

jpl88

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
anyone knows how long apple will hold onto my ipad for instore pickup if I'm not able to go to the store on the day they invite me to pick it up?

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
anyone knows how long apple will hold onto my ipad for instore pickup if I'm not able to go to the store on the day they invite me to pick it up?

i remember past emails saying something like "pickup before 9PM on launch day or else your unit will be given up for sale."

Seraphx17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
For people who have done this in the past, can you just walk in and immediately pick it up? Or do you have to wait in line?

zpilot

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Why anyone would want to do an in-store pickup on launch day is beyond me. Especially for an iProduct!

jpl88

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
i remember past emails saying something like "pickup before 9PM on launch day or else your unit will be given up for sale."

thanks - I guess with this policy they only charge customers when they pick up the item not when they place it online?
sounds like I'll have to "time" my purchase so that in store pickup falls on the right date.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Why anyone would want to do an in-store pickup on launch day is beyond me. Especially for an iProduct!

Several reasons:

1. I live in an apartment complex with an unattended lobby, and I don't want people stealing a $500 iPad since I won't be home to sign for it.
  2. I will be working and won't be able to be at home all day to sign for it.
  3. I can go and pick it up at my own convenience at the 24 hour Fifth Avenue store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.