Why can't you italicize text in a text message?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Nov 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Is there some method?

2. macrumors 65816

Beeplance

No.

Why? Because it's a text message, not Microsoft Word.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Haha I understand but it's also a hand held computer, not a StarTAC. I have had numerous cases where I wanted to use italics or bold text

4. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You can't. It's a text message. In other words it's plain text, no formatting. Can you italicize text in a plain text email? No you cannot.

5. macrumors G3

It's supposed to be a quick form of communication. Typing in all lower case letters, for example, would be perfectly acceptable if it wasn't for autocorrection.

6. macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Actually in the iOS default mail application, you do have the option to italicize/bold your words. Highlight the word with your finger and you will get the option to do so.

7. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Doesn't matter if it's a DynaTAC or a cluster of 1,024 mac minis in a grid. SMS doesn't have a facility for rich text. It's a plaintext-only medium... which means, NO formatting.

Use e-mail then.

8. macrumors member

That's not plain text though...that'd be html formatted (you may not see the formatting codes but they'd be there if you looked at the source code of the email).

9. macrumors 6502

!!!!! Use lots of exclamation points instead!!!!!!!!

10. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I don't think that I have ever wanted to use bold type or italics when sending a text. For me, it is just a way to to quickly communicate, not write an essay.

11. macrumors 6502

numberforty1

this thread made me giggle.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

Why?

13. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

"italicize text in a text message?" in the title, being text precludes the ability to add formatting as mentioned.

14. macrumors demi-god

Text messages need to be compatible with your StarTac. Try email. :cool:

15. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Text messages pre-date all these fancy 'data networks.' They work by hiding the text data within the voice transmission signal.

Basically, the phone companies discovered they had a little bit of spare space in the signal and invented a way to use it. As such, they put in what they could fit. It's why texts are limited to 160 characters.

So the idea of tripling the amount of possible characters (regular, bold, and italic) was probably not high on their list of priorities.

Now, Apple could currently add such things to iMessage, but I'm sure they don't want to make it confusing. It would be kind of annoying to format texts and have your iPhone friends see it all but your Android friends not. So I guess iMessage is inheriting the limitations of SMS just so they can live together happily.

16. macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

indeed not via SMS. but one could (in theory) be able to via iMessage.
    Way back in the day my friend and i had a specific verizon flip phone.. and as long as we sent SMS to other verizon users it would allow us to change font colors...italicize etc.. I was 14 then so i dont really remember how it did that.. not sure if it actually sent as a mms.. or if verizon had specific codes built into the phone it self to recognize those things.. or if it really just used a different way to send the text.. via a messenger. I do know for a fact it counted against my monthly SMS and didnt charge me data (that was back in the day when i had to watch my texts lol)

17. macrumors 6502a

Still laughing at the idea of formatting in a text message....... :p

r u 4 real?

18. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope. Just use asterisks if you need to emphasize something.

ex:
    I really need the documents, *please* send them to me ASAP.

19. macrumors 6502

numberforty1

because if you want to get all fancy why don't you just send an email instead.

who the hell would want to italicize in an SMS? ..oh yeah..you would. (i forgot):p

if you need to be "emotive" & get your point across why not just use a cute little emojii in your text?

:eek:;)

20. macrumors member

You could be nerdy and <i>italicize</i> with HTML for effect. :p