Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I know I'm not using Android, using Windows 10 mobile, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in anyway.

It isn't a specific app that pushed me away. It wasn't a specific ability of my device, though continuum is awesome. The thing that is stopping me from going back to an iPhone/iPad combo is that I no longer have food faith when it comes to Apple and software.

Will the next update wreck my device due to a server authentication issue? Will it make my device work worse? Will the iPad continue to have little more than the iPhone? I don't think any of this is out of malice, for the record. I doubt they'd keep screwing things up on purpose.

But I always tell the people around me that if they don't think a company has their back to not give them money. I'm living by that.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Klyster in a nutshell: if it's not Apple-bashing, it's not on topic.

Sure...show me where I bash Apple...
I have 500+ posts, if I'm bashing Apple, it shouldn't be hard to prove it.

Knock yourself out...

Last edited:

Gabrielanicolao

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
My opinion is little different. I'm using iPhone for last 5 years and currently iPhone 6+ because iOS has extra ordinary features which no smartphone have ever introduced.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
My opinion is little different. I'm using iPhone for last 5 years and currently iPhone 6+ because iOS has extra ordinary features which no smartphone have ever introduced.

That's kinda like me and Samsung phones...

Others are starting to introduce features TouchWiz has had for years...

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
No difference on 6S. Same speedy phone.
Forgive me if I dont believe you because the iPhone 7 Plus is faster than the 6s and also has more RAM and there is definitely a speed boost with RT on although its a fast phone to begin with

An icloud account ties all of your idevices together, in a homogeneous way, not patchwork.
And nothing about Google voice is patch work.Its one account you gotta setup and bingo,you get the same functionality of iOS

Anyway Android also lets you send SMS and also recieve notifications on Windows,something iOS cant

You happen to have a fully licensed KMS as part of your network?:rolleyes:
So what you are telling me is that Microsoft published the "tools" to bypass the license agreement on their own website?:oops:

Were official channels used for the key as a medium?Yes
Is an official Windows key being used?Yes

Then there is no violation.Period

Okay, my point still stands.

It doesnt.If you ever do a readthrough on how Android as an OS functions you would realise there isnt much difference between the Android and iOS update structure.I would argue Android is actually more flexible as not only do devices from 2012 still recieve security fixes,but things like iMessage(if it existed) would be updated through the Play Store and not a whole OS update

Allo is updated through the Play Store
Google Play Services updated through Play Store
Android System Webview which is basically the browser engine like Apple's Nitro is updated through the Play Store
Launcher and icons updated through Play Store
Heck Google just unleashed a brand new Gboard keyboard as an update to their old keyboard on the Play Store,something iOS brags in its OS update notes
Chrome,Gmail,Google Keep,Google docs all updated through the Play Store

I would go so far as to state that 90% of Android users are already enjoying a major chunk of the iOS experience on Android.An iOS device from 2011 doesnt get the latest iOS deisgn changes in the app.Guess what?Android devices from 2011 all get updated design changes through the Play Store

Those fragmented graphic charts are nice for marketing purposes tho
[doublepost=1482399613][/doublepost]
iPhones don't work out of the box? Millions of people using their devices right out of the box would disagree with that.
No they sometimes dont.I had a horrendous experience when I restored my PC Backup of my iPhone 6 to my 7 Plus.Heavy battery drain and stutters.Then I reformatted and setup as new and zero problems.iOS is better than Android on this count but not by much

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No they sometimes dont.I had a horrendous experience when I restored my PC Backup of my iPhone 6 to my 7 Plus.Heavy battery drain and stutters.Then I reformatted and setup as new and zero problems.iOS is better than Android on this count but not by much
Sometimes any device might have issues. Doesn't really mean anything as far as some sort of a general statement about iPhones not working out of the box because of that any more than that applying to essentially anything out there in that sense. But it seems like that's all been fairly well established in subsequent posts in this thread.

Reactions: mrex

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
What sets ios apart is the alacrity Apple has been displaying recently with security and bug fixes.
And you get it with the Nexus.Also its not alacrity but rather a lack of proper QA.When Forstall and Jobs were around,things were PROPERLY FIXED before release.Now its more like throw unoptimised software at the public beta testers,hope it works out and if it doesnt pull the update

Case in Point=WatchOS 3.1.1.I was updating my Watch just when the news broke on MR and was almost certain a trip to the nearest Apple store was on the cards.Luckily though nothing happened

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And you get it with the Nexus.Also its not alacrity but rather a lack of proper QA.When Forstall and Jobs were around,things were PROPERLY FIXED before release.Now its more like throw unoptimised software at the public beta testers,hope it works out and if it doesnt pull the update

Case in Point=WatchOS 3.1.1.I was updating my Watch just when the news broke on MR and was almost certain a trip to the nearest Apple store was on the cards.Luckily though nothing happened
IOS 6 was a child's toy compared to IOS 10. There had to be thousands of enhancements between ioS 6 and ioS 10, with hackers becoming more sophisticated as well. So Forstall and Stevie let the bugs pile up and then released an update while Timmy releases more frequent bug updates and more frequent security patches with more frequent functionality updates as well.

Timmy's beta program by whatever what can measure on MR, seems like a success and then a nice and tidy point release is made to the patch.

I don't know about your watch, you always seem to be having these one-off issues with your computing equipment.

How's your nexus coming along, or is this another theoretical conversation?
[doublepost=1482409873][/doublepost]
Forgive me if I dont believe you because the iPhone 7 Plus is faster than the 6s and also has more RAM and there is definitely a speed boost with RT on although its a fast phone to begin with
Right, exactly, the bolded.

And nothing about Google voice is patch work.Its one account you gotta setup and bingo,you get the same functionality of iOS

Anyway Android also lets you send SMS and also recieve notifications on Windows,something iOS cant
I can send SMS to my iphone on Windows, what is the point?

So what you are telling me is that Microsoft published the "tools" to bypass the license agreement on their own website?:oops:

Were official channels used for the key as a medium?Yes
Is an official Windows key being used?Yes

Then there is no violation.Period
You deflected the question totally.

It doesnt.If you ever do a readthrough on how Android as an OS functions you would realise there isnt much difference between the Android and iOS update structure.I would argue Android is actually more flexible as not only do devices from 2012 still recieve security fixes,but things like iMessage(if it existed) would be updated through the Play Store and not a whole OS update

Allo is updated through the Play Store
Google Play Services updated through Play Store
Android System Webview which is basically the browser engine like Apple's Nitro is updated through the Play Store
Launcher and icons updated through Play Store
Heck Google just unleashed a brand new Gboard keyboard as an update to their old keyboard on the Play Store,something iOS brags in its OS update notes
Chrome,Gmail,Google Keep,Google docs all updated through the Play Store

I would go so far as to state that 90% of Android users are already enjoying a major chunk of the iOS experience on Android.An iOS device from 2011 doesnt get the latest iOS deisgn changes in the app.Guess what?Android devices from 2011 all get updated design changes through the Play Store

Those fragmented graphic charts are nice for marketing purposes tho
[doublepost=1482399613][/doublepost]
I have no idea of what you are trying to say, except that IOS devices enjoy a longer lifespan.

Your experiences don't seem to mirror many, let alone some.

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I had been using Apple devices increasingly more during the past few months, but a stellar deal on an Huawei P9 Lite has shown me that android is quite good, too, and that I'd been neglecting it.

Both OS's are good in my opinion. I consider my 128GB iphone 7 my main device and the Huawei a nice-to-have backup particularly as I have added a 128GB microSD. Yes, apps mostly won't work on the card but the 16GB internal memory is sufficient for my apps.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
IOS 6 was a child's toy compared to IOS 10. There had to be thousands of enhancements between ioS 6 and ioS 10, with hackers becoming more sophisticated as well. So Forstall and Stevie let the bugs pile up and then released an update while Timmy releases more frequent bug updates and more frequent security patches with more frequent functionality updates as well.

Timmy's beta program by whatever what can measure on MR, seems like a success and then a nice and tidy point release is made to the patch.

I don't know about your watch, you always seem to be having these one-off issues with your computing equipment.
I dont recall Forstall and Steve bricking devices 3 times in a year.

Timmy doesnt do proper QA which is why quick updates are needed as a patchwork solution.Steve never released 7 updates on a particular iOS version including updates which brick devices

Did you miss the news about the Watch.A large chunk of the AW owners bricked their watch on OS 3.1.1 and needed to visit a AS to get it fixed.The issue was widespread enough for Apple to roll back the update

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/13/watchos-3-1-1-pulled-bricking-complaints/

How's your nexus coming along, or is this another theoretical conversation?
My Nexus 7 2012 was doing just fine on the latest version of Android

I can send SMS to my iphone on Windows, what is the point?

Meaning you can type an SMS on the PC and send it via the Phone?This isnt possible on Windows unles you have an Android or Windows 10 Mobile

You deflected the question totally.
I brought the discussion on track.A network KMS license has nothing to do with the discussion.A KMS key was used to setup the OS and later on replaced with the official key . Your assertion is I broke the license agreement which implies that Microsoft published the tools to bypass their own license agreement on their own website

I have no idea of what you are trying to say, except that IOS devices enjoy a longer lifespan.
The point is that Android devices CAN last as long as iOS devices but dont get unusable at the very end.Case in point my 4 year old Android tablet

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I dont recall Forstall and Steve bricking devices 3 times in a year.
No they just left huge security holes unpatched, which is why facetime doesn't work on IOS 6.

Timmy doesnt do proper QA which is why quick updates are needed as a patchwork solution.Steve never released 7 updates on a particular iOS version including updates which brick devices
The software the Timmy produces is far and away more complex than what Stevie and Forstall produced. I actually haven't read about any devices getting bricked in any great number. Certainly not more than android or Microsoft, and way less, imo.

Did you miss the news about the Watch.A large chunk of the AW owners bricked their watch on OS 3.1.1 and needed to visit a AS to get it fixed.The issue was widespread enough for Apple to roll back the update

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/13/watchos-3-1-1-pulled-bricking-complaints/
Yes it happens, even Microsoft and google who have been in the business a long time has bricked and or rendered devices not usable.

My Nexus 7 2012 was doing just fine on the latest version of Android
Pics or it didn't happen.

Meaning you can type an SMS on the PC and send it via the Phone?This isnt possible on Windows unles you have an Android or Windows 10 Mobile
Why would I want to do that? If I type an SMS on windows, send it from windows. But if I type an imessage on my ipad, I can finish it on my iphone.

I brought the discussion on track.A network KMS license has nothing to do with the discussion.A KMS key was used to setup the OS and later on replaced with the official key . Your assertion is I broke the license agreement which implies that Microsoft published the tools to bypass their own license agreement on their own website
Okay, the point is in all of that, you violated a license agreement. Microsoft doesn't make things complicated, unless you figure out a way to do an end-run around their security features.

The point is that Android devices CAN last as long as iOS devices but dont get unusable at the very end.Case in point my 4 year old Android tablet
Sure last physically as long, but just stop getting updates.

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iOS still annoys me. I've played with an iPhone 7 quite a bit and I still would definitely not want one. No user accessible file system, no easy way to send songs from the phone's music library, Apple maps integration in 3rd party apps (yuck) instead of Google maps, no super cool live wallpapers or skins without jailbreaking, SwiftKey isn't as good as on Android, comparatively low screen resolution, no easy way to turn the phone into a file server (WiFi file transfer pro), no OLED edge screen (I enjoy mine), poorly organized Gallery app (not enough designated folders), iCloud being an underpowered mess, Apple Music bias in the music app, the list goes on. There are a select few things I like about the iPhone, but they pale in comparison to the negatives for me. I used an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 4 and have spent quite a bit of time playing with the 4S, 5, and 7. No thank you!

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
iOS still annoys me. I've played with an iPhone 7 quite a bit and I still would definitely not want one. No user accessible file system, no easy way to send songs from the phone's music library, Apple maps integration in 3rd party apps (yuck) instead of Google maps, no super cool live wallpapers or skins without jailbreaking, SwiftKey isn't as good as on Android, comparatively low screen resolution, no easy way to turn the phone into a file server (WiFi file transfer pro), no OLED edge screen (I enjoy mine), poorly organized Gallery app (not enough designated folders), iCloud being an underpowered mess, Apple Music bias in the music app, the list goes on. There are a select few things I like about the iPhone, but they pale in comparison to the negatives for me. I used an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 4 and have spent quite a bit of time playing with the 4S, 5, and 7. No thank you!
Thats actually a developers choice, some apps use google maps.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Back on topic, for me personally, one thing I like about flagship android devices are that they are more future proof even with no more OS updates.

I've read one comment how iOS 6 is a child's os compared to iOS 10. I agree. Android KitKat was released about same time as iOS 6. As of now, there are still 25℅ of active android users on KitKat [1]. Lots of users OK with KitKat. I'm still on KitKat on my Nexus four.

Try finding 25℅ of iOS users on an iPhone 5 on any iOS version. From this source [2], there are about 8℅ of iPhone 5 devices still in active use. Most probably found the iPhone 5 too slow for today's apps and websites

[1] https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html#Platform
[2] http://bgr.com/2016/02/06/most-popular-iphone-models

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Back on topic, for me personally, one thing I like about flagship android devices are that they are more future proof even with no more OS updates.

I've read one comment how iOS 6 is a child's os compared to iOS 10. I agree. Android KitKat was released about same time as iOS 6. As of now, there are still 25℅ of active android users on KitKat [1]. Lots of users OK with KitKat. I'm still on KitKat on my Nexus four.

Try finding 25℅ of iOS users on an iPhone 5 on any iOS version. From this source [2], there are about 8℅ of iPhone 5 devices still in active use. Most probably found the iPhone 5 too slow for today's apps and websites

[1] https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html#Platform
[2] http://bgr.com/2016/02/06/most-popular-iphone-models
Lots of people on iOS 6 are OK with it too.

As far as how many people are with iPhone 5, that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't with that phone because it's can't handle something as much as those people already upgrade after all these years. On Android's side there are more than likely much more recent phones that are with KitKat, which isn't much of a comparison to iPhone 5 that is much older--comparing OS versions to phones is an apples to oranges comparison that doesn't really mean much one way or another.

Basically doesn't seem like much in the way of meaningful conclusions can be drawn one way or another given that things aren't the same and comparisons aren't the same in addition to reasons for people using or not using something also being plentiful and diverse.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Im locked out of my Apple ID because of two step authentication, takes up to 10 business days to recover my account. It never occurred to Apple that someone may get rid of their other devices and have no way to recieve that stupid code. That ordeal was the last straw and for now on its android and chromebook, im sick of Windows nonsense also.
Just picked a $74 LG Stylo 2 and couldnt be happier!

Reactions: frankgrimes

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Im locked out of my Apple ID because of two step authentication, takes up to 10 business days to recover my account. It never occurred to Apple that someone may get rid of their other devices and have no way to recieve that stupid code. That ordeal was the last straw and for now on its android and chromebook, im sick of Windows nonsense also.
My friend recently had this happen to him.
He was locked out for half a week.
It was kind of self inflicted but still a pain in the behind as he uses his devices for billing and such but he's not going to switch any time soon.
Apple devices work for him 99 percent of the time

I'd find it frustrating, Ive never had an issue that cant be dealt with within minutes.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Isn't that why there is the ability to attach secondary emails and trusted phone numbers to your account, if your device should become inoperable? Which is the same as getting rid of your devices?

I added my home phone as a trusted device and apple will call my home phone if I choose, when I sign in to appleid.apple.com.

Last edited:

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Isn't that why there is the ability to attach secondary emails and trusted phone numbers to your account, if your device should become inoperable? Which is the same as getting rid of your devices?

I added my home phone as a trusted device and apple will call my home phone if I choose, when I sign in to appleid.apple.com.
Phone number changed since I set this up years ago and email was not a option. A few security questions would of did the trick but Apple has to be different. 10 business days is ludacris and among other things Im done with Apple, their to controlling for me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Phone number changed since I set this up years ago and email was not a option. A few security questions would of did the trick but Apple has to be different. 10 business days is ludacris and among other things Im done with Apple, their to controlling for me.
It sounds like user error to me. You can keep your Apple ID up to date, something you didn't do. Dont mean to rub salt into the wound, but all of this could have been avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.