Why Cingular sucks (not a rant - really)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plunar, Jan 10, 2007.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2003
    Watch the keynote first, or at least the iphone introduction part. that part alone runs over an hour.

Now, all the cell phone providers suck in the US. we all know that, and we don't need another thread blasting coverage, service, crippled phones, locked media, etc...

Rather, it's something that simple struck me all too clearly during the keynote. Look at Steve present. He oogles over the iPhone as he demonstrates it to us. He's excited to show off how cool the iPhone is, how hard it was to make it work, and how ****ing amazing it is. You can feel the energize, the vision seeming around this man. Some call it RDF or showmanship. What it is at it's core, however, is passion.

Then Stan, Cingular CEO, comes on stage. Stan is in typical business attire, gives some token words to steve, and then refers to 4x6 flash cards to remind himself, verbatim, of what to say. and all he really has to say, in so many dry, uninspirational, completely lacking of passion sentences, is that "Cingular is the best." We are not even thrown a freakin' bone here as to "why," Cingular is the best - only that it is. And this goes on for, well, I honestly don't know. Truth is, after about 4 or 5 minutes of watching Stan, I was more bored than a freshman student in Calc 3 with a non-english speaking professor, and so I clicked off the keynote.

And I would go so far as to say then, yes, Cingular sucks. But just as symptoms of a disease are only the side effects of a virus, so is the ****** service of Cingular borne of the effects of a ****** CEO.
  2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    I imagine that Apple is fully aware of the customer service issues surrounding Cingular. A partnership of this magnitude wouldn't be something Apple just jumps into without Steve lecturing on how the customer comes first.

We'll hope Steve-o whips Cingular into shape -- or ends the exclusivity contract early if there is a clause for poor voice/data performance not associated with the device.
  3. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Well, regarding what you wrote about passion, that's
    my fear about Apple's future. I switched to Macs months before
    he was diagnosed with cancer and I was afraid that he would
    leave Apple. Without his leadership one can only wonder what
    will happen then.

4. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2006
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    the reason why I dont like the iphone is because its not available in Canada...
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Apple isn't exactly known for great customer service, either.

It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.
  6. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    The entire company sucks simply because their CEO isn't a great public speaker? That's just dumb. You might as well say a person who stutters can't run a good company.
  7. Slipperyskates macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2004
    I was thinking the same thing the whole time I watched this guy speak. It was really painful to watch. Here you have this whole spectacle that's going to be watched by the whole world, and you have Steve Jobs getting the crowd all excited, they're cheering and playing along, and then all of a sudden this idiot comes out and starts stumbling all over himself.

I just wanted to make a point of reference- when Steve's clicker died he just seamlessly breaks into a totally relevent story, that is of interest to the crowd, and manages to keep up the excitement in the room. Compare that to this Cingular bloke stuttering every time he looks down at his notecards. Pitiful.

I just hope your wrong, and at least the rest of this guy's company is able to mesh with Apple.
  8. clintob macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    New York, NY
    Where on Earth did this come from?? Apple has the best custom service and support in the industry - perhaps any industry for that matter?

Customer satisfaction is higher for Apple than any other computer or technology company by a landslide. Go look, the numbers are available in more than one place (US News, CNet, Time, Newsweek, blablabla).

Bust most importantly, go make a call for yourself. If you personally had a bad experience at some point I don't know what to tell you, but I have dealt with the service and support teams for a multitude of companies and manufacturers, and Apple is lightyears better than anyone out there.
  9. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    That Calculus quote that the thread poster wrote was funny. It really was hard to watch, I agree completely. Besides Cingular's service (or lack thereof) I'm just glad its out and I hope that Cingular isn't the reason for it's demise.
  10. huck500 macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    Southern California
    I'll reiterate that Apple actually IS known for their great customer service, according to every source I've seen. Consumer Reports, for one. They're not perfect, of course, so there will be horror stories, just like with any company.

From Consumer Reports' website:

Cingular is getting a lot of hate here, and elsewhere, but I've had great service from them. I don't remember ever having a dropped call, and when I've talked to them about getting new phones, new services, etc. they've been great. They even told my wife that she didn't need to get a new phone after we got a letter saying she did. They chose being honest over a sure sale. This is in So Cal, at a local store.
  11. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    yep, Apple has the top customer service in the computer industry and the electronics sector. 6 years in a row now.

That said, everyone here knows someone (or has personal experience) of some "idiot" in an Apple Store or another horror story.

I've had mine too, but I don't let it sour my view of the entire company and its mission.
  12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Apple is better than others but that still doesn't make them good. It just makes the rest pathetic.
  13. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    You really think your going to find a CEO as good as Jobs...good luck.

As far as Cingular...they get support at my house, Verizon, TMoble don't...that and the fact that they have the iPhone is more then enought reason for my to sign up with them!
  14. EricChunky macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2006
    are u kidding me?

since when is the last time i heard that Apple cares about its customers and has an excellent customer service? if they do they should have recalled all first generation macbooks :cool:
  15. highres macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2005
    Near the Singularity
    True customer service is almost a lost art these days, that's why when a company that has merely decent CS they are touted as excellent and superior.

Many companies don't appreciate us for what we are, the lifeblood of their company. We pay their bills and salaries not the other way around.

Known fact that most companies don't really support CS with their budgets and CS is one of the first parts to be put on the chopping block when finances get tight or the budget needs to be trimmed.

Companies that truly pick up the phone and respond to complaints are almost known as "throwback" companies from a bygone era.

The most frequent compliment we get at my agency is "It's so nice to call you guys and have someone pick up the phone and take care of my problem, instead of some automated answering network voicemail system".
  16. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Well they didn't, and everything seems to have worked out nicely, no? Besides, how do you "recall all first gen MacBooks"? They offered to fix any and ever problem that occurred with them...what else can they do?
  17. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Id like to add that i hate cingular. At my house here in san diego i get terrible service. My phone goes from full bars of reception to no bars about every minute while remaining in the same place. T-mobile never gave me any problems. I just hated their lack of phone selection. ;)
  18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If you're great at customer support and service, you're probably not appreciated by bosses any more than the other people who just answer the phone.

I spent two years as a software support programmer and I spent time on the phone as well as on the communications line. Our group excelled at helping the customer and yet, I considered the fake smiles a lot of our group gave across the phone line to be transparent to the customer. A lot of the people were just closing the problem cases as quickly as possible to get that high number at the end of the month. They got a lot of repeat customers as a result of it. :(

You can't just throw someone in front of the phone and expect them to solve the problems. Apple do it, Borland do it, and IBM has outsourced almost everything so we know that they do it, too.

I really do hope that Apple can handle it because I would hate to hear a lot of horror stories.
  19. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    To the OP:
    I will say, the Cingular CEO was boring as hell. It was dull but obviously necessary for him to be there.

Was this thread supposed to be more Cingular's CEO bashing, or Cingular as a company?
  20. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    I'm really hoping Apple offers an AppleCare protection plan for the iPhone so I don't have to go through cingular if the phone itself faults (for whatever reason that may be)
  21. EricChunky macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2006
    I wouldn't call that Worked Out Nicely myself. You know when you have a problem with your purchase within warrenty period, BY LAW the company that sold the thing to you have to either fix it or replace it. It has NOTHING to do with customer service or company value AT ALL.

well ... mayb i'm the only one who spent an accumulative 3 months to fix my macbook and another 3 days to sell it on eBay :eek:
  22. ckeck macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Yes, maybe in the computer manufacturer industry, but they don't have anywhere close to the best customer service in general...they are still lacking in a big way...and so is Cingular, but Cingular does have the best customer service in the industry (I worked in the wireless industry for many years and for almost every carrier).
  23. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2006
    Peace in Plainfield
    Yea the Cingular CEO really made an impression of himself standing on stage, monotonically (is that even a word?? :confused: ) reading from cue cards. It was almost embarassing to watch someone from a company who just makes so much ungodly amounts of money babble on from cue cards....
    I wonder if the ink on the cards had time to dry by the time he made it on stage. :)
    I like verizon I'll be a customer with them for as long as I can. Rarely do I get dropped calls (and thats good for as far out from civilization as I live), and rarely have I actually had any other issues. Plus I finally got everyone I talk to to switch to verizon so I dont even use minutes. Apple will eventually have to unlock the phone if they want to keep iPhone sales up. My guess? By the time the phone hits the asian market, the phone will be available, to some extent, for other services.
  24. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006

Hahahahaha. Apple only has one important customer, and his name is steve. Trust me- it's not important what the customer wants. It's all about what steve wants. You'll see.

They signed a deal that would get them money and exposure. They had to make a GSM phone and cingular is the most visible GSM carrier. That's really all there is to it.
  25. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Nov 29, 2006
    Perpetual Bondage
    I turned to my coworker as we were watching and said "How the hell did this guy become a CEO?"

I'm sure that having a brilliant business mind and being charming and entertaining don't necessarily come as one, but a company that's uninspired is a company that is stagnating. Things are about to change at Cingular anyway. AT&T Wireless anyone?