Why Crucial?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by coconn06, Sep 21, 2004.

1. coconn06 macrumors regular

Most people on this forum seem to recommend buying RAM from Crucial.

Is there a reason to get RAM from Crucial as opposed to this deal (see bottom of page)? This was found off of Ramseeker. That's 1GB of RAM (2x512MB) for $150. As opposed to $200 from Crucial.

Is there a difference in the quality of memory, or some other factor making it worth the extra money?

2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Crucial sucks--their RAM costs way too much (perhaps not as much as Apple's, but that's not really saying much). Just go to dealram.com and get the cheapest RAM you can find. That's what I always do and I've never had any problems.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The only 2x512 deal (it's for an iMac G5) I see on that page (second from the last) is 2x512 for $199.00. To get that same deal from Crucial would be $198... maybe I'm not seeing the right deal.

But yes you can get RAM cheaper than Crucial.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Lots of people use Ramseeker and OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com), and they're both fine. Not as expensive as Crucial, and Crucial uses dynamic pricing to read your cookies and screw you on price, while I know OWC to be more honest.

5. coconn06 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's strange. I think the page keeps changing. Go to ramseeker.com, choose "iMac G5 DIMM" from the drop-down menu, and click on the $190 1GB RAM link from 18004Memory. That page lists a deal for $150.

[​IMG]

6. augiedb macrumors newbie

I bought my RAM from Crucial based on the advice of a Mac-equipped friend of mine. That's all. Plus, their website was clear for this newbie Mac guy to know he was ordering the right thing.

-Augie

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've looked a Crucial a few times but they were always too expensive for what they were selling. I believe that they were part of the group that is methodically being charged for price-fixing.

I buy from OtherWorld Computing. They've always been fair--whether it's their own brand or TechWorks or something other than RAM.

jamdr:

You're lucky. There is plenty of junk out there that can cause a computer to act strangely. Buying the cheapest is the smartest thing to do.

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

The same reason why people buy AppleCare, and in Crucial's case, you get real life time "NO QUESTION ASK" warranty from a respectable company w/ excellent customer service.

And I should put this in my sig - "If you don't wanna buy Crucial RAM from Crucial.com, buy it from Newegg.com. Same RAM, lower price."

9. coconn06 thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, I just did a search at Newegg and it looks like I can get 2x512 MB for about $150 there, too. And Newegg is definitely a more respectable online vendor. Thanks :)

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And you get the same from OWc without the web browser games that Crucial does. For that reason i would buy from anyone BUT Crucial. They are the slime of the earth.

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Care to elaborate on the browser games again? And just 'cause you don't like to clear your cookies doesn't mean Crucial's hustling you. If you want hustle, look at Apple.com's order page. You pay $3K for a G5, but AE and BT are options? Radeon 9600XT and 512MB of RAM? Are you kidding me? Oh that's right, I forgot, all the money went into the pretty case.

12. advocate macrumors regular

I buy generic RAM in unlabelled antistatic bags for use in my PC desktop computers. It's cheaper, and after a few passes of a rigorous memory test (memtest86) I can be fairly confident that it works correctly. If the memory test fails, I take the RAM out, have it replaced, and run the test again. A few hours of down time for all of this is not a big deal on a desktop. And if the memory starts failing later then I'll just have a program crash once in a while, it's not a problem compared to how much less the RAM cost to buy. By then it's about time for a memory upgrade anyway.

I buy Crucial RAM for my servers. It's tested before shipping meaning that it's much less likely I'll get a bad stick. That means my server is down for less time because I don't have to be as thorough in testing the new memory. It also means it's less likely that I have to schedule yet another maintenance window to replace a bad stick. Further, if the memory passes Crucial's test as well as mine, I can be fairly confident that my production data stores are not going to start developing errors due to bad memory. And Crucial's customer service is exceptionally good. (I have no idea about these "browser games" -- can anyone provide a reproduceable procedure for seeing two different prices for the same module?)

Although you can see that my experience is all in the PC world, the same thing applies here: if you want RAM that's good enough then buy whatever's cheapest, if you want RAM that's rock solid then buy the best. That's why both markets exist, not because people don't know how to find cheap RAM but because the more expensive RAM is what some people want to buy. When you buy RAM, just buy from the market that's right for your needs.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry, but the consumer should not have to worry about clearing cookies before going a particular web site. Also it is an issue that using different browsers gave different prices.

To the best of my knowledge "cookies' are not shared between browsers.

it is only because of attitudes like yours that companies like Crucial are able to get away with their rip off antics. I would rather deal with OWC that does not play those games.

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This is so strange! Thread after thread I read about RAM (it seems as common a question as "where can I get DVD-ripping software from?") people praise Crucial.com and immediately say to go there. Then I come across this thread asking people to give reasons why they like Crucial and it just gets the opposite - a complete slagging match against Crucial!

I bought my PowerBook RAM from Crucial.com from advice on the aforementioned threads from this website. The RAM was cheap enough for me and arrived the next day. I have had zero problems from day one. This week I bought a Crucial upgrade for our Dell desktop. It arrived the next day too and works like a charm. I'd highly recommend crucial personally.

Crucial RAM is apparently the RAM that Apple and Dell use anyway. It is good RAM and has a lifetime guarantee. Cheap generic RAM maybe slightly cheaper still, but it may not work and give you more hassle.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Crucial is good RAM. So does OWC offer good RAM. It is now a question of the Crucial business practices. And whether you want to support them or not. OWC sells the Samsung memory, which many say is the RAM that Apple uses.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well actually, people say Samsumg is the same RAM that PowerBooks use. For G5 PowerMacs, they use Micron-Crucial RAM, I believe. Crucial is good, but I pledged to NOT recommend Crucial about 3 weeks ago. Enough people make that recommendation. I try to recommend both Crucial, but OWC and Newegg as well.

Browser games? Its actually the cookies. By using different browsers, though, you can see the effect of the Dynamic Pricing I mentioned earlier. Basically, Crucial reads your cookies to study your spending habits, and if it seems like you're a rich high spender, they charge you more for RAM. If your cookies indicate that you don't spend much on tech stuff, they charge you less for the same RAM. They're hoping that by lowering the price for poorer people, they're making it within your price range. If you can't afford $110 for a 512MB stick of RAM for your PB, they want to make sure they're in your price range by making the RAM $96. ;)

For rich people who spend lots on tech, Crucial knows that whether the price is $125 or $110, you're going to buy the RAM anyway as price isn't going to matter as much.
    Nobody has any problems with the pricing of RAM because they never see the different prices. If you keep going back and see the same price over and over, you're not going to know that the price changes depending on how much money you have. :rolleyes:

17. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Because of you don't buy crucial, then the "Knights who say crucial" will follow you all over these forums and say "crucial" everytime you post - for eternity - or the rest of your life, which ever comes first.

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I just checked crucial.com. I looked up prices for Apple's PowerBook 12" (1 GHz) model and they were identical when using Safari, Firefox 1.0PR, Netscape 7.1 and Internet Explorer (Mac). I'm not convinced. (Note I'm using crucial.com/uk if that makes any difference).

19. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Nice info. Yet more proof that some people have the "Crucial is scamming me w/ cookies" bug running inside their head.

Right... then why do Anti-Virus programs sell so well?

20. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

They did a while ago because when I tested it out when it was first posted it was clear that it was happening on there site.

They have either fix a why to prevent that trick from happening. Or they have there base rate and if you have cookies from a vendor that is selling there ram higher than theres they my move up there price. Hopefully they learned their lesson because I would not be surpised if they saw there sells start to plumped after they start that bull. The losses where massicly out running the gangs they made.

I have noticed that apple people tend to worship and swear by one brand more than any one else. They are learning though. THe basic rule is choose a ram that is a name brand. Like kingston, Coirsa, Crusible are among the best stuff out there. For hardware maccy are a little weak in general in that knowleged area. The people who know the better brand are PC side who been building computers so they have learned or know what brands are the better brands and the brands that are well crap.

21. Enigma macrumors member

I buy RAM from Crucial for 3 reaons:

1. I've never had a problem with it, always works on every computer I've tried it on
    2. Here (in the UK), I find it cheaper than buying branded RAM from other retailers. I never trust anything that's unbranded, with maybe the odd exception for blank CDs and DVDs
    3. Their depot is about 20 miles from my flat (appartment), so I've had deliveries in under 18 hours on a few occasions when ordering online. :)

22. kanker macrumors 6502

First off, I'm a Crucial fan - search my posts and you can see that. Rethinking that though, since I opened up Safari and Exploder, looked for 12" 1Ghz PB memory, and came back with this- Safari
    *1GB — CT405707 DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 NON-ECC US $479.99 (each)

512MB — CT327971 DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-parity US $104.99 (each)

256MB — CT327972 DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-parity US $52.99 (each)

128MB — CT327973 DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-parity US $25.99 (each)

Exploder
    1GB — CT405707 DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 NON-ECC US $508.79 (each)

512MB — CT327971 DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-parity US $111.29 (each)

256MB — CT327972 DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-parity US $56.17 (each)

128MB — CT327973 DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 Non-parity US $27.55 (each)

23. EminenceGrise macrumors member

That's interesting, and would seem to confirm what I've suspected for a while now - that this Crucial.com discriminatory pricing based on cookies thing is a total urban legend. I would imagine if it were true, I would have seen it referenced somewhere else on the web, yet every time I see it here and run a search in Google I get jack squat.

To the people who swear that Crucial is ripping them off, I ask the following questions:

1) How is it that Crucial.com is reading cookies from other websites, when generally speaking, only the site that placed the cookie can retrieve it? (this is handled by the browser)
    Reference - note however that if you intend to bring up a possible browser flaw, it would have to exist across multiple browsers if the reports are true.

2) We can assume it is possible (well, it is in fact) to distinguish browsers based on the user agent string, it would be silly to argue otherwise. If this were the method used, how does one determine what price to give what browser? And why do something that would be so completely obvious? (see also next question)

3) Considering that price discrimination is generally quite illegal, why would a company go to so much trouble (and risk the potential consequences) to make a couple extra bucks? I am not arguing that this can not happen, or that it has not happened in the past - however, the question to ask is whether the benefits would really yield that much extra revenue for it to be worth it. I'm inclined in this case to say "no". Keep in mind the programming resources, etc, etc. that would have to be involved to maintain such a byzantine system (What cookies get set by other vendors? How do you keep track of changes to the other cookie formats?).

4) Have you considered that they were running a price update when all this funny business that everyone is harping on about happened, and it was simply random as to whether you got the updated price, or the old one? My websites distribute requests to multiple machines, so it's not altogether far fetched. Or it may even have been a simple glitch in the system. Think it's so far fetched? Not as much as "OMG! Teh Crucial.com is stealin' ma cookays!!!!!" IMNSHO.

5) Can you present incontravertible proof, in the form of screenshots - or, even better, a way to *consistently* reproduce this behavior? Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. If you have it, I suggest that you present your findings to the BBB or your Attorney General - as I've said above, price discrimination is illegal.

These are the questions I want answered before I buy into this "Crucial.com is riping you off with cookies" business.

24. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I know that Crucial.com price discriminates either based on user agent or based on cookies. I know this because I have browsed the site with two different browsers--one used and one unused--at the same time and come up with different prices for the same products.

By the way, price discrimination isn't illegal. Predatory pricing is, but price discrimination is not.

25. macidiot macrumors 6502a

I've been shopping for ram recently and I've noticed that ram pricing has gone up. Crucial ram has gone up about $10 for 512MB ddr400 in the past 2 days. Its now $99. Looks like similar increases elsewhere. Anyone know why? eh, is it because of all the new iMac owners needing to upgrade that 256MB of ram??