Why did Apple drop voice recognition login?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phreakout13, May 27, 2005.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

I was watching an old Keynote presentation and Steve was talking about the new freatures on OS 9. He described the multiple users feature (which I didn't even know existed before then) and how you can log in with your voice. I tried it out, and it worked great. Nobody around the house could open my account when I told them to say my password. So why then, did Apple drop this feature in OS X. Was there something wrong with it? It seems like a step backwards. Oh well, thanks in advance for reading this:)

2. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

I think voice recognition is still available via Speech preferences under "speech recognition". You can use "speakable items" to initiate specific actions like opening documents and/or launching/quiting programs. I've yet to use it in Tiger though, but it still should work the same.

As for voice-recognition for log-in purposes. I think it is a shame that was taken out of the OS also. I loved using it and it worked like a charm for me. However, I'm assuming it was not a positive experience for most users, and it might have been a bit buggy. Again, I'm assuming here and really have no clue as to why apple stopped supporting this feature. All I know is that "I luvs them thar voice-recognition thingy-mabob" when it was a feature.

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I agree it was kinda cool -

I could be wrong, but I've looked at the login system before and if I remember correctly it can support "login plugins", possibly providing alternate methods of logging in. Here's to hoping someone develops a free speech recognition login plugin!

4. yogi477 macrumors regular

I thought it was a really good feature too and if it didn't work you could always type in your password. I'm sure if they wanted they could make it better than it was before. Maybe Apple is holding this feature back so they can use it as a prominant new feature in 10.5 or beyond.

5. 2Cheap2Switch macrumors member

It would have been really good for handicapped users who are not able to type that well. Too bad they didn't keep it :( .

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The one and only thing OS 9 holds over OS X is the voice log-in...

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

yeah.. I was looking for this.. I am watching the Keynote in questiion now, and I WANT TO USE a voice login..

I had a nifty idea, and I can't try it now :(

8. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863