Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I am a recent switcher, and my new 15" iMac arrives on Monday. Well, I'm so impatient that I drove 3 hours to Comp USA today (the closest place to buy a Mac) to check out what will be on my desk in 48 hours. Yeah, I know. I'm crazy.

Anyhow, as soon as I walked over to the Mac section of Comp USA, there she stood in all her glory...the 17" iMac. Not even an owner of an iMac yet and I was already jealous. Man, that screen is SWEET. I played with it for about 10 minutes before I reluctantly walked over to the puny 15"er.

Of course I'm lucky to have bought an iMac, but I already want a 17" one. For those of you that have a 15", do you regret your purchase? BTW, my iMac has 512RAM, 60gig, DVD-R, etc, so it is a very decent machine. But it's just the screen....

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Why did I go to CompUSA today and see the 17"iMac??

Originally posted by coolbreeze
I am a recent switcher, and my new 15" iMac arrives on Monday. Well, I'm so impatient that I drove 3 hours to Comp USA today (the closest place to buy a Mac) to check out what will be on my desk in 48 hours. Yeah, I know. I'm crazy.

doh.... if you don't mind me asking... did you know that there are serious rumors of new imacs coming out on Tuesday with price drops?

arn

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Re: Re: Why did I go to CompUSA today and see the 17"iMac??

Originally posted by arn

doh.... if you don't mind me asking... did you know that there are serious rumors of new imacs coming out on Tuesday with price drops?

arn

newbies ;)

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Re: Re: Why did I go to CompUSA today and see the 17"iMac??

Originally posted by arn

arn
Good point arn; bet everyone is thinking that. I have read all the hype about new iMacs, but given the price I got this one for, I am still coming out way ahead. I bought it from a member here on the "for sale" forum...for $1100.

Quick specs- DVD-R, 512 RAM, 800mhz, 60gig, 3-year Applecare (2.5 years left). This deal was too good to pass up, so I had to jump on it. I wanted a 17", but couldn't justify the extra $700-900.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Re: Re: Re: Why did I go to CompUSA today and see the 17"iMac??

Originally posted by yzedf

newbies ;)
Well, I may be a newbie, but I am very aware of Apple's equipment. Been reading this board for >9 months, and looking forward to switching when I could afford to. I found a deal, and jumped on it. I do know that Apple will not be offering a 17" DVD-R, blabla for $1100, so I took what I could get (even if new iMacs are coming out on Tuesday).:cool:

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown

I wanted a 17", but couldn't justify the extra $700-900.

Drop another $700 and get an additonal 17" Apple LCD... monitor spanning is sexy. Once you get the machine, I really doubt you'll regret it. That's a great buy!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Good point arn; bet everyone is thinking that. I have read all the hype about new iMacs, but given the price I got this one for, I am still coming out way ahead. I bought it from a member here on the "for sale" forum...for $1100.

Quick specs- DVD-R, 512 RAM, 800mhz, 60gig, 3-year Applecare (2.5 years left). This deal was too good to pass up, so I had to jump on it. I wanted a 17", but couldn't justify the extra $700-900.

Gotcha... makes sense... and it is a good deal. I doubt anything on Tues will change that.

arn

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why did I go to CompUSA today and see the 17"iMac??

Originally posted by cr2sh

Drop another $700 and get an additonal 17" Apple LCD... monitor spanning is sexy. Once you get the machine, I really doubt you'll regret it. That's a great buy!

I dont think you can span monitors with the iMac.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why did I go to CompUSA today and see the 17"iMac??

Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
I dont think you can span monitors with the iMac.

That does appear to be true... hmm, you learn something everyday.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
the 17" imac has a gf4mx with two video ports (one inside for LCD).

the pmac has a gf4mx with two video ports.

see a trend?? the 17" can because the graphices card has the ability. like the DP867 has been slowed down by apple the 17" imac has had its monitor spanning disabled by apple for marketing.

sorry 15" owners. the gf2mx you got is the one in the ibook. no monitor spanning for you. i got a pmac :D

leghorn

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2002
oregon
You did get a good deal w/ the Applecare you offset cost to about $940 for the hardware.

The problem is you're 2 or 3 lousy days away from updates w/ potential increased functionality for an all-in-one system that isn't upgradable (limited).

Still you did well, but if I were you I wouldn't look at the Apple site for a couple of months. The revs will only hurt and not only the 17's. But, I also think it's probably a good idea whenever anyone purchases a new system that they stop 'shopping.'
So no more trips to CompUSA. :)
No good will come of it.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
For a new user, and for that deal, I think he made a good choice. And look at it from another perspective, the person selling it might be looking forward to the iMac updates, and if his old one didnt sell, he might not have been able to buy the soon to be released ones.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
He got a good deal. It's not like G4s are going to get a lot faster anyway, heh.

And bluetooth and airport extreme do not help out everyone. I'd have virtually no use for them personally really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.