Why did I wait so long to switch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snowmoon, Feb 27, 2007.

1. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

For all of you out there on the fence, I really don't know why I waited so long to switch. I went out yesterday and picked up the low-end MBP and I am absolutely thrilled with my choice. I went though all of the arguments and ended up deciding that being productive was better than not.

Maybe leopard would be better, but Tiger is sure nice. Apple will come out with 10.6 next year too... I can always upgrade then.

Maybe they will come out with a 15" MB with a decent Intel video card, ( which will probably cost close to the low end MBP ) maybe not.

Maybe santa rosa will have a significant improvement in my computing experience, but when will Apple actually release a product based on it... will it suffer from rev A problems?

What I do know if that the MBP improves my life *TODAY*. In the last 24 hours it seems like I have been more productive than the last 6 months. Everything "just worked" and I'm on to doing real work ( and more fun stuff too ) rather than fighting with a mess of incompatible applications.

If I were set on buying a MB rather than the MBP I might have waited since the video card upgrade and the larger screen are very appealing upgrades to me.

2. mrthieme macrumors regular

The other day a friend asked me if it was worth switching and what I thought they should buy, I gave my advice and hung up the phone. 2 hours later she was sending me Photobooth pictures from her new iMac, complaining that she had not done it sooner, she could not believe she had it unpacked it, set it up, and was online enjoying it so quickly. I'm still smiling. Enjoy your notebook.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Many of the reasons are here, in a 10 year old ad campaign that everybody thought was a failure. You are right that it is best to enjoy what you have now instead of worrying about the future (and, of course, things did get a lot better while you waited). Best wishes.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Congrats! You'll love you new mac. The MBP is a very fast and wonderful machine.

5. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

6. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Glad your enjoying your MB! Though to set a few things straight. I wouldn't expect 10.6 in 2008 since Tiger was released April 29th 2005. Plus 10.5 isn't out yet.

A quick google of OSX release dates will show that a yearly release as slowly extended over the 1 yr period. I think Leopard will be a significant update and we will be looking at 2009.

Santa Rosa will include a far better graphics solution than the GMA one in your current MB. Whether SR will suffer Rev A issues is anyones guess but i wouldn't have said so.

7. snowmoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I never understood why Apple doesn't play up the "Just works" motto more on their advertising anymore. Hell I just plugged in a second monitor and it worked.... I even saw rotation and said "hell why not" ... 10 second later I was reading web pages on a 1024x1280 screen and it's damn sweet if you ask me.

Even the "best of breed" apps seem to follow a functional and simplicity model. I was using Colloquy and loaded a new style by dropping a package into a directory. The new style wasn't working quite right so I opened the package in finder... opened the .xls file in text edit and corrected the problem and instant fix.

Every time I have used OS X it's this same eerie effect of things working like they are designed. The OS fades into the background to let me get things done.

8. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

And the OP won't have to worry about that because the Macbook Pro has a real graphics card.