Why did the power light on my mac mini stop pulsing?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by anthonymoody, Feb 6, 2005.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    I'm a switcher so sorry if this is a dumb question, but when I first got my mini the blue LED power light would pulse slowly when the computer was asleep. Now it stays lit, even when the mini is asleep.

Did I change a pref or something?

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    Are you sure your monitor is sleeping. There's a difference. When the light pulses that means the entire system is asleep. When it is solid that means just the monitor is asleep. Its hard to tell with the minis because they're so quiet.
  3. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    Hmm. Well maybe I was assuming (uh oh!) that the mini was sleeping too. The monitor is definitely sleeping (it goes black). But in Prefs I have the power saving thing set to put the computer to sleep after only 15 minutes of inactivity, but after much longer than that the screen is black but the blue led on the mini is solid. Strange.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Try making it go to sleep (choose Sleep from the Apple menu) and see if the light pulses.
  5. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    OK check - that worked. Choosing SLEEP from the apple menu puts the mini to sleep and the light pulses. Also, as an experiment I made the monitor sleep time shorter than the computer sleep time (they were simultaneous before) but no joy - the monitor went to sleep after 10 minutes but the mini appears have stayed awake :(

Not sure what to make of it.

6. tobio macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    maybe you are running some program that is keeping it awake? On my powerbook if I have azureus running, the display etc will go to sleep but the computer will stay awake no matter the sleep settings. If you close all the running programs in your dock (right click if you got it, otherwise hold down the button on them and choose quit) does it still remain awake?
  7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Almost certainly something is keeping it awake--a Mac won't sleep if it's doing something (and that's a good thing--imagine how annoying it'd be if your computer nodded off in the middle of a long download).

The most common "culprit" is leaving Mail.app open and set to check for mail every X minutes--that activity registers, and so resets the Mac's "sleep timer", so it'll never sleep.

I've also seen situations where leaving dialup internet connected can have the same effect, as can programs that run constantly in the background like Azureus (which, again, is the expected behavior).
  8. Gerg macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2003
    Well, I leave Mail open all the time, and it checks for mail quite frequently, but my Mac mini still goes to sleep when it's supposed to. When I wake it up (at least it's not crabby when it wakes up! ;) ) it logs back in and checks for new mail.
  9. RGunner macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2002
    Midnight Sun
    Could also be...

an attached USB or Firewire device. This is a known issue to keep Macs from falling asleep... (sometimes)....
  10. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    BINGO. You guys were right - a program was keeping it awake, though it wasn't what I expected and it was a little hard to track down. I figured weatherdock or some other persistent connection thing was going on. Turns out it was Entourage. I had reduced the schedule for checking all my accounts to every 1 minute (I'm crazy I know - I like my PC to feel like my blackberry:))

Anyway, backing it off to every 3 minutes did the trick. I may play with 2 minutes to see what happens ;)

Thanks again for all your help.

11. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Using Entourage. . . yuck!!! You are a new switcher!!! . . . teasing aside, i do think you should give Mail a try. it does everything entourage does, including the ability to connect to an exchange server. mail runs better with OS X and, in my opinion looks better than Entourage.
  12. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    Does Mail allow you to get hotmail? I know that's a PITA requirement but there it is. I use Entourage b/c it easily sets up hotmail alongside my POP accounts and I can drag (actually copy) messages from hotmail into my POP email file folders.

13. Datazoid macrumors regular

May 10, 2002