Why did you choose MAC?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by choosemac, Feb 14, 2006.

1. choosemac macrumors newbie

Hi everyone :)

We are currently building a site which is there to point out why everyone should choose a MAC over any other computing platforms.

I'd just like to know why you chose a MAC? Or Why you switched to a MAC? Do you have any experiences you wish to share with us?

What do you think are the advantages of using MACS?

All your replies will be valued,

thank you

OH, and you can explain in the most biased way also ;)

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

It was the only access controller available to me at the time

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL!

Well, the first thing you should do for your site is realize that Apple computers are Mac(s), short for Macintosh. They are not an acronym like PCs (Personal Computer), so calling it a MAC is completely inappropriate and will be flamed by many Mac users/diehards.

MAC is the acronym for Media Access Controller, also known as the ethernet hardware address. Which is what Bakedbeans is referring to.

As for why people should choose one over the other.. your choice should be based on need and experience. If you're a life-long Windows user and you're sick and tired of dealing with what Windows brings to the table and you're in a position to try something else, you have 2 choices, Linux on Soap and OS X.

4. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I was just going to say that!

I chose Mac's because I like the operating system software etc.

5. Motley macrumors 6502

Damn, beat me to it!

6. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Why I switched to Mac...

I chose a Mac because I have grown very sick and tired of Windows. I've always enjoyed Linux and it's various brethren and having a FreeBSD underbelly to the beautiful OS X interface was very appealing to me. A friend of mine has been a Mac zealot for years, when he upgraded to OS X and let me play with it I immediately fell in love with it.

I also revel in the fact that I am part of a small elite group of people that stray from the norm of beige boxes and plastic towers. The hardware design of Macs is elegant, sophisticated and just plain cool. Given the array of software options I don't have to worry about compatibility issues. I can retain the unique identity of being a Mac user while still being compatible with the Windows world.

Do you have any experiences you wish to share with us?

I'll just say that I used to be anti-Mac and changed my viewpoint once I played around with OS X. My previous employer back home had a G4 with OS X (Panther I believe) that I would often tinker with. Once I started seeing and hearing more about Vista and it's similarities to OS X Tiger it irritated me to no end. Lastly, getting a 20GB iPod two Christmas' ago brought my attention back to Apple's computers. I started reading the Mac Rumor's forums, was impressed with the hospitality of the Mac users here, bought my first Powerbook G4 and the rest is history.

What is the URL of this site you are going to be building?

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I picked up an old Mac from '94 for free that was still working. I was curious what Macs were like back when I only worked with Windows. It was years ahead of Windows at the time. Sort of like today with the current Macs compared to Windows.

I originally only picked a Mac for the iMovie program back in 2001. I was still going to use Windows for everything else. I only use Windows when I have to use it.

8. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Erm, went for work experience in a Graphic Deisng Studio, played on PowerMacs for the whole week, and just well in love with them.

Saved up, and got an iBook about 5 months later.

And the other reason is that Windoze Sucks.

::20ROGERSC::

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I chose Mac because it was the only computer with seamless integration of text and graphics. And because of the amazingly clear black and white monitor, and the unbelievable 512K of RAM! I was a college student, so the fact that I could easily handle footnotes in Microsoft Word 2.0 was important to me. Also, the mouse and menus made the computer amazingly easy to use compared to my Commodore 64. ;)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Had used pc for a long time, but it was mac's that I used at university on my digital media course, and so as soon as I finished uni and got myself a job that put me in a postion to buy a mac, I did so. That was a 15" iMac G4, since then I haven't stopped...

17" Imac G4, 20" Imac G4, Powermac G5 Dual 1.8, Powerbook 12", 2x Mac Mini, 15" Powerbook, 20" Intel Imac Duo, 12" IBook......... That's my shopping list since 2001 :D

Also I find with design work its so much easier dealing with printers if your using the same program, operating system and colour profile.... It save's time trying to unify things with a PC...

11. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

It works, plain and simple.

At the time I entered the computer world, DOS was it. I don't do DOS or any line command. So for me the ease of use was why I chose Macs.

I have tried to use Windows 98, 2k, XP all were/are cumbersome.

Plus, I refuse to use anything Microsoft. To me that company has lowered the bar of what is quality work. As I work in advertising, I see alot of garbage created in MS Word. These clients will send their word file to use and say can you print this? (on a press, not to a desktop printer). We always say no, we can re-create it in a press friendly app. Of course, the client doesn't like that but after explaining the problems associated with trying to rip a Word file they relent and O.K. the work. My experience with Macs as a graphic artist is wonderful, I just like the way Macs do things.

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

:D

I chose it because MS Word 4.0 was the best word processor available, with drag-n-drop editing, and numerous features not available on PC word processors at the time!

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hahahhahahah that is awesome

Anyway, I love my Macs much so. Can't wait till i get my revision B MBP and Revision C PowerMac Intel

14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

15. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I used and owned both for a long time. But why did I switch to Apple completely?.....

The iMac G4!

Simple as that. Beautiful design sucked me in. So I sold all my video games, my PC, and bought the iMac G4. It came with OSX 10.1 and I quickly fell in love with the operating system.

I quickly began enjoying iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto. Soon thereafter I got an iPod.

There is no going back.

16. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

A friend introduced me to Macs when I was in high school. I liked the way they looked and how different it was from the other laptops I had seen. I decided to buy a iBook G3 when I started college to use as my main computer. I figured it was a good time to try Apple out.

Since then I have fallen in love. The whole presentation of their products make the sale to me. Its not just another computer, it runs MacOSX and is the most stable computer I have ever had. Even during the times I had hardware issues, MacOS never crashed.

Its about time to upgrade my iBook G3, and I have recently ordered an iMac to replace it, and am planning to buy a new Powerbook Merom at the end of the year.

I've had my issues with my iBook just like the next person, but one thing I have noticed about Applecare is that they care about their customers. When I had to send in my iBook for a logic board replacement, it was shipped back to me the day after I sent it in. Plus they send you that nifty kit with everything you need to ship things back, even pieces of tape.

17. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Back in 1993 was when I got my first computer a 486 DX 33mhz Renau 4MB RAM and a 212MB hard drive running DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.1. Well I was 13 at the time and wanted a computer to play games on. However my friend had an Apple and a bunch of games for it so I went and got a high speed Macinthosh IIvx 68030 33mhz w/FPU, 5MB of RAM, and a 80 Megabyte hard drive running System 7.1:cool: . Note: I said System not Mac OS for you newer Mac users Mac OS use to be called System a far better name and Mac's were Apple Macintosh or Apple for short. Would not System X sound cooler than Mac OS X?

I was still just starting to learn about computers at the time and found out my second big lesson there are Apples and their are Macintoshes. Games for my friends IIgs would not work on my IIvx (my first big lesson on computers was that games had specifications, my dads AST 286 10mhz with 640KB RAM , 20MB hard drive and CGA video would not play many games). Even though I did not have any games I now had both a DOS computer and an Apple Macintosh. After fiddling with both machines I sold that IBM Compatible to my father and kept the IIvx for myself. Since then I have owned many Macs and ran the gauntlet of Apples Operating Systems to Mac OS 10.4.4.

(On a side note no I was not spoiled I worked my but off mowing lawns and installing sprinklers to afford those computers. When I have kids they will have to do the same if they want to have their own Computer, TV, Cellphone etc.)

18. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

At first I was fascinated by the visual effects when I saw OS X in use at my uni-advisors office. Then I learned about the Unix underpinnings and since I was getting used to Linux and Unix from other subjects at university I was warming up to the idea of getting a Mac. Once I started checking out which models were available I also fell in love with the exterior design and that sealed the deal for me.

19. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Well, Macs do actually qualify as PCs. ;)

I switched to Apple because I was fed up of reinstalling Windows 9x about 9x a year. Instead I prefered dealing with extension conflicts. :eek: :p :p

I guess I sticked around because I like things that "just work" and things that work the way I want them to.

20. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

i got a couple free macs. however, i use my debian machine more. and if i'm not sitting in front of the debian machine, i'm logged into it with my mac.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I never said they weren't PCs. Only that "Mac" wasn't an acronym like "p.c.". ;)

22. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

Honestly the only reason i got a mac was because i wanted to buy an ipod

And at this time iPods only worked on macs. I also wanted to get a mac because of the look. It was all white (iBook) and looked different from the other laptops and i always like to get things that aren't mainstream.

When I first started using Mac OS X I have to admit, I thought windows was better. Then i got used to it, and started learning more about it and realized how much better it was than Windows.

Btw I was using 10.2 at the time

23. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Yeah, I know. I just like pointing it out. ;)

All hail the power of the halo effect. :eek: :D :D :D :cool:

24. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

LOL.

To the OP: Trolling makes you look stupid enough... try not to add to the effect with idiotic things like "MAC"

25. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Because:

> modular OS design ( unix )
    > stable
    > UI design
    > ease of use/maintenance
    > Application packages
    > security
    > open communication/file standards
    > excellant multitasking

> no registry