Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Why did I join MR?

I was in the market for a new notebook earlier this year and was originally looking at buying an iBook. I lurked for quite a while and started checking back regularly to see what the latest rumours were. My first post was in the "New iBooks Next Tuesday?" mega-thread! That seemed to go on forever and I got fed up of waiting for the iBook update and went and bought a PowerBook instead. I still checked the forums anyway and just somehow got hooked.

Oh and I heard that the MR Moderators get together each year to do a Calendar shoot specially for the MR ladies ;) ;)

Ok... I actually heard no such rumour... but I'd like to *start* that rumour :D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
dietcokevanilla said:
Oh and I heard that the MR Moderators get together each year to do a Calendar shoot specially for the MR ladies ;) ;)

How much are these calendars?
Are some of the Demi-gods involved in this, too?

I would glady pay about $3 for such a calendar!

I like your ideas, share more with us!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
dietcokevanilla said:
:eek: Who told you that!?
dogeyes_s.gif

katie ta achoo said:
$3!?! :eek: That all you think it would be worth?
cry-1.gif

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
How much are these calendars?
Are some of the Demi-gods involved in this, too?

I like your ideas, share more with us!

Hehehehe

Well let's see... there are 11 mods. We just need another (or a group photo?) for December...

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
i was searching for info regarding the fabled G5 introduction. got sucked into a rather heated debate about "why all software should be free" and have been here ever since. btw, all apple introduced at the time was the MDD g4's...so I bought a QS dualie 1ghz. man, it took forever to witness the real G5.

ahh, the old days of alphatech, beej, mcrain, dukestreet( oh wait...;) ) and slyhunter/voltron.

ntm, apple's legal affairs seemed a little slower on the draw back then...

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
I wanted a website to find information when I needed to applying to my iBook. Then I made some friends here, and I guess it has become sort of an online hobby.

I am for sure happy that I found this site. Always provides some entertainment when I am online :D

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I joined because I don't have a new mac, but felt that joining the mac forums would help me get more in touch with the Apple users group. Also I had nothing better to do, and I wanted to comment on the "Post your Powerbook set-up" thread where I was busy drooling over all the wonderful looking Powerbooks.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
jefhatfield said:
but igav, i am still here!!

You've been here long enough to be considered 'fixtures and fittings' mate, if arn ever sells up you'll be included in the deal ;)

jefhatfield said:
and you and maybe only three other people currently active know my real identity ;)

Indeed I do. ;) :D

L

Lau

I first visited for my powerbook buying dilemmas last summer, and lurked for a fair while, but somewhere along the line I got sucked in...

...blimey. Where am I?! :D

Seriously, I think I started because everyone seemed pretty cool, and there were some good conversations and the like. It must be a MacRumors thing, because I don't really post on any other forums. Aw, you're all just so darn funny and entertaining....:)

edit:
dietcokevanilla said:

Excellent rumor starting. We have 4 weeks to badger them incessantly about it.... :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
dietcokevanilla said:
Well let's see... there are 11 mods. We just need another (or a group photo?) for December...

Mod election by looks. We better dive into the Picture Gallery before Onizuka nominates himself... :p

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I came to MR for help transitioning to my PB a few years back.

Liked the the community feel here, and "joined" at the first opportunity by sending a few dollars their way to keep this board alive.

A benefit of really "joining" MR is not to have to worry about your post count ratings. :) Anyone that gets benefit from MR should try and become a Dem-God/Contributer.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
i came for a month or two before i officially joined, i liked reading everyone's posts but realized it would be more enjoyable to respond once in a while :)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
iGav said:
You've been here long enough to be considered 'fixtures and fittings' mate, if arn ever sells up you'll be included in the deal ;)

It is true, though, that there are only a few people around who were active and had avatars when I first arrived...jefhatfield was definitely one of them...so many people have come and gone in the aging of the community...to me it seems that while we've lost quite a few great guys, though the best of them have stuck around.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well for me it all started way back in 2002; a friend of mine allowed me to use his PowerMac G4 733mhz QuickSilver for 3 months. Yes I know I claimed I owned one but the truth is it was on loan. Lucky for him I did take the offer his house was robbed of his stereo zip drives & Cds & DVDs & his Projection TVs.

Well he wouldnt teach me nothing about it ... said I had to learn about it right! he knew I would because my Compaq P3 laptop had a bum HDD wouldnt boot & I didnt have $400 at that time to replace it. I did an AltaVista search and found Macosrumors but it didnt help much.

Then I found this site! Been hooked ever since! (but I think I found this site before that outta boardem but never really fully understood Mac OS.

Funny enough with 5 different jobs and 3 different moves around 2 cities I'm finaly in a position were I can purchase a used QuickSilver or Cube to start me on Mac OS X indefinately! I cant see myself saving for 5 months for a PowerMac G5 or even a RevB iMac G5 ... too many cellular phones to buy & other Nintendo DS Xmas systems & games in the next 3 mths. It hurts but giving help & gifts of love is what I do best in this world even if it means I dont dress like a player, or a full business person like my work peers.

I'm humble like that. I've got big aspirations for my family but 1 step at a time.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I joined MR because I was trying to figure out what I was doing with the PB that I had just bought, forcing me out of lurking status. I started lurking because a friend at school suggested I use the buying guide to gauge my purchase of the PB that I was lusting after (Rev A alBook, Apple released the Rev B 11 days after I received it).

I now spend enough time on MR that my wife makes fun of me and any time that I disappear, she assumes that I'm here. It is really embarassing. But I really do love it here. A lot of the people that I talk to and even a lot of the people I don't talk to feel like extended family. I look forward to figuring out where my wife and I will end up after I graduate and asking for location advice.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hmmm... lets see:

As far as I remember I heard about MR, AI, and TS in an article talking about Apple and lawsuits. I visited all of them on got hooked on the rumors. Little did I know there was an entire community under the "forum" tab. I joined... didn't post muched and then... I got really into it. :) Apple- Thanks for sueing TS. ;)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I have been coming here for years on a daily basis to read the page 1 news. Like some people read the morning paper, this and a number of other sites are my daily paper. One day a few months ago I got bored of just reading the front page, went into the forums and starting posting. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.