Why didn't apple build the OS for Motorolas new phone

Discussion in 'Community' started by j05h, Sep 15, 2003.

1. j05h macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2003
    I've always wondered why Motorola and Apple don't team up on a PDA/Phone.
    I saw on the news today that Motorola has a new phone with a Microsoft operating system on it.
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    originally i was against the idea, but now i definitely think Apple needs to create a micro-OS to run on these things... phones, PDAs, BMW's, kiosks. If they stripped the system to something tiny, it wouldn't take much work to shrink or expand it to the needs of the device. I love my T720 stylewise, but whoever did the programming sucks... i can't stand the OS it runs. Extremely poor menu system, takes about 3 times as many clicks as it should. Non-intuitive. Unfortunately, if Apple made such a micro-os, they would be more and more influential in the design process (the iPod wouldn't be the same without the touch-scrollwheel), as the physical parameters of many devices leave a lot to be desired. So eventually, you'd have a hardware team at Apple who's sole responsibility it was to stick their noses in other company's product development. Why not just start developing this hardware themselves? And we come back to Jobs saying it won't happen. Apple is such an all-or-nothing company (don't complain, it's why Apple is so great) that there's no middle ground.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Maybe Pixo, who did the iPod work, should be doing phones.

I was recently trying to help some of my mum's friends with their mobile phones and they were too helpful while entering names. By accident, we got a name or two into the phones correctly. I guess I need to hang on to my Motorola Star Tac forever. :eek: