Why didn't T-Mobile wait until 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanc28, Mar 27, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Why didn't T-Mobile wait to announce their having the iPhone availability when the 5s is released in a few months? Is it because T-Mobile will not carry the newer iPhone until way later?

2. macrumors 6502a

I think it is because Apple is using tmobile to move sales of the 5 as more people anticipate for the 5s (and stop upgrading until it is released)

3. macrumors 68040

Because the 5 is available to them now. Why would they wait and loose out on sales. Has nothing to do with the 5s.

4. macrumors 68020

T-Mobile has been negotiating with Apple for ages.

It's apparent iPhone 5's are not selling at the same rate as previously expected. I bet Apple chose the timing so as to have help unloading iPhone 5 models in the months leading up to the next new iPhone.

Always in a position to dictate, Apple calls the shots.

5. macrumors 68020

Just a repeat of Verizon and the iPhone 4.

6. macrumors 65816

Lika boss.

7. Moderator

Agent-P

Staff Member

I'm inclined to agree with this. There are plenty of people who don't know what Apple's release cycle is. As far as they're concerned, the T-Mobile iPhone is finally available and they're going to go get it.

8. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Considering that the iPhone 5 A1428 needs to be retooled to work on t-mobile LTE, t-mobile would be pretty much useless for unloading any current, unsold stock.

I'm pretty sure it's because we won't see the 5S until Q4, and like Verizon, T-Mobile didn't want to wait two whole quarters.

9. macrumors 6502a

There are no contracts, they have nothing to lose by offering the 5 now and 5s later on. Anyone who buys the 5 now can get the 5s if they want.

10. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The people that are on boards like this and follow everything Apple are a small minority.

11. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

exactly...

THIS.. Apple > all

anyways, i really think it's tmobile's smart move cuz the more they wait, the more they lose on sales. it's a good marketing move.

12. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

The longer they wait the more subscribers they will lose.
    There's no reason to wait.

13. Moderator

Agent-P

Staff Member

Another good point. I could get any phone right now with T-Mobile and then two days from now get another from them. No contract extensions (as there aren't any from here on out) or anything.

14. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Gotta love that.
    Hope the other 2 big carriers adopt something similar in the future.

15. macrumors 68040

So what happens to the first phone?

16. macrumors 6502a

You can keep it or trade it in for a fair value (whatever that value may be to tmobile).

17. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

well it's yours so do whatever you want... unless u on the payment plan, then i guess it will just pile up?

18. macrumors 6502

At one point AT&T (formerly Cingular) and Verizon would pro rate your ETF based on the number of months you had remaining on your contract. I think they ended that around the time that Smartphones became commonplace.

The beauty of T-Mo's plan is that it becomes much easier o time your upgrade. It doesn't matter if the next release is April or October. If your iPhone is in good shape, you shouldn't have any problem selling it for at least what you owe on it.

19. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

T-Mo has been pulling in disgruntled ATT members for some time, now that they're "Official" and are providing no contract services, it makes a lot of sense. Bring your iPhone (provided they don't need a unique iPhone 5 for T-Mo's network) and avoid a long term contract

20. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, the Verizon phone came out in the middle of a cycle but seems that everyone has forgotten that already....

21. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Do you know how much money this will generate for T-Mobile and Apple? I am just curious what the agreement between both company states, where as T-Mobile is selling the iPhone 5 for full price, so there is no sub pricing. I bet Sprint is kicking themselves in the BUTT for not doing something similar, although they really need to fix their network, so many ppl went there for unlimited data and have left.

22. macrumors 68040

dontwalkhand

Exactly my point as well, in 6 months time, all carriers will be seeing a 5S, and the people who plopped down the cash for a T-Mobile iPhone 5, can just trade them in towards a 5S.

23. macrumors 6502a

I like that I can switch my sim card between a Nexus 7 (Yes the Nexus 7 will use the sim for data only), Nexus 4, iPhone 4S and a 3GS and T-mobile doesn't send me a text saying I am using my sim in a phone not authorized for use on my plan. I couldn't tell you how many times I got a text from AT&T warning me when I would swap sims between a Blackberry and iPhone a few years back.

24. Moderator

Agent-P

Staff Member

I currently do that between my 4S and 8X (both on T-Mobile). iMessage gets a little wonky from all the switching but apart from that it's great. T-Mobile doesn't care and neither do either of my phones.

25. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

On T-Mobile, no. On Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, of course there still are. Launching now means that they've short-circuited the contract cycle for people on other carriers who were thinking of re-upping prior to the 5S release.

It's also marketing. T-Mobile got the most bang for the buck by doing the un-carrier thing AND saying "oh by the way, we're officially carrying the iPhone 5." As opposed to becoming an un carrier now, and then being lost in the din when the 5S comes out later this year.