Why didn't we think of that?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Feb 6, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4241391.stm

Counselling, that's what they need! Way to go, House of Saud!

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Are you being facetious? With the plentiful issues of your carefully crafted sardonic wit, I couldn't be sure...(though I tend to hedge toward genuine in this instance).

Assuming you are playing it straight, I wonder how the US would've gone about this course of action w/o any credibility with potential Islamic militants. Our support of Isreal and various other real or perceived actions prior to Iraq may have made it difficult. After all, the Wahabi Hous of Saud enjoys tremendous Islamic credibility due to being the guardians of many of the holiest sites of Islam (which, kinda ironically, they took by force from the Hashemites).

Even via proxy, I have my doubts. Of course, considering how well the military option has worked, it sure would've been preferable. Once upon a time, before the creation of Isreal, the US was the most beloved of Western Nations in the Arab world, because we aided and educated the Arab populace (often in Arabic), and kept our prostelyzing to a minimum, as well as fostering Arab self-determination, which ran counter to British and French policy at the time.

Ah, how times change...good to hear someone is making a dent, however small. I wonder how much of the impetus behind this by the House of Saud is to forstall instability and preserve their rule?