Why do Adium's transfers suck?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac000, Jan 29, 2007.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Everytime i try to send somethign to someone else thru adium like a simple picture or document the stupid program never sends the thing i want or if someone is trying to send me something it never goes thru either.. Everyone that i am in contact with has adium so i dont see what the problem is, someone help me out here bc its a pain in the ass.

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know that's not helpful, but I've looked all over for a solution and the best thing I've found is just that someone said Adium is basically a gAIM agent, and gAIM sucks. Not really much more to it.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

this happens with a friend of mine. he can't send me stuff and i can't send him stuff (we both use Adium) but neither of us have a problem sending stuff through Adium to someone using the AOL client or iChat. it's weird.

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yes it sucks in 89.1, but it works flawlessly in 1.0. Download the beta.

5. thestaton macrumors 6502

I'd disagree. I've been using the new beta for a long time and i've never had any success in file transfers.

6. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

I've never had a problem with file transfers, but with some buddies, I have to send it twice. The first time "initiates direct connect" or whatever the AIM phrase for that is, and the second time it goes right through. FWIW!

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Hmm, I would check your router / firewall configuration. Are you using AIM?

8. redmeister macrumors 6502

i have the beta as well and have found success in sending and rcving to those with original AIM client on winblowz... but have not had much success to other adium users

hmm if they could solve this problem this really would be near flawless program

9. thestaton macrumors 6502

do I need to open ports to send files with adium? if so I was unaware.

10. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yup, it's somewhere in their documentation (wiki). Go into your router config settings (usually http://192.168.1.1 or https://192.168.1.1 or the Airport Admin app in the Utilities folder).

11. indiean macrumors member

I've had a lot of problems too, and honestly, I just open iChat and send it that way.

12. jimmy.66 macrumors newbie

This is taken from Adium's "Help" file, 'splains alot.

I also haven't been able to send OR receive from PC MSN users either. Everything else about Adium rocks!