Why do apple Hard Drives die so much???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AJ Muni, Aug 18, 2005.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

It happend to me in april, and ive been reading alot of people having the same problem. Why do the hard drives just freeze and shut down?? I hope none of you ever experience that "folder with the flashing question mark thing"...it was one of the saddest days of my life... :(......I've also noticed it happens the most to people with notebooks..

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

happened to me too, wish i could give a good answer why though

3. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

This doesn't sound like something I want to here, I just purchased an iBook. Tell me it was a joke. :eek:

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple hard drives don't break down any more often than any other manufacturers' -- they are after all the same mechanisms from Hitachi, Seagate, Fujitsu and Toshiba.

Most often, its not the hard drive that's broken but the OS on the hard drive that's borked -- Repairing directory structure (Disk Utiltiy, DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro), reinstalling OS and/or reformatting and reinstalling OS fix this most times.

Laptop hard drives just have a much harsher environment to operate in - subject to movement, shocks, changes in temperature, and overheating, so they fail more than desktop drives (this is common across the board of laptop miniturized, light weight, low voltage components)

Oh, and I'm willing to bet that Mac downtime due to OS problems is WAAAY less than Windows OS downtime.

5. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

didnt mean to burst your bubble imatt, my girlfreind has had like 3 macs and this has never happend to her...the one thing I KNO...is that my ibook died in the middle of my flight back from hawaii. the "genious" at the apple store said it "could of" been the altitude....but after reading all these different cases...i doubt that....

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Okay, for one, Apple does not make hard drives - they buy them from Maxtor, Seagate, WD etc etc just as does Dell, Compaq/HP etc etc etc...just about every drive manufacturer has had bad batches of drives go out the door...it happens....I support a large network of Windoze boxes at work and we had a bunch of Compaq pc's come in a while back and had several bad hard drives...this is not just an "apple" thing....oh yeah!

7. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

in my case it WAS THE HARD DRIVE...because it kept clicking, and the genious said it was stuck. p.s. i used disk warrior AND disk utility...no luck

8. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

your right...i'll edit...

9. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

It's Genius. :p
    I love when people spell smart words wrong. Kind of funny. Sorry to pick on you though. Common mistake.

Carry on. :D

10. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

lol i knew i spelled it wrong...but i was too lazy to fix it...darn i should of used dictionary widget!!
    :cool: ...p.s. imatt, im not trying to scare ya, jus back your stuff up. i had bought my ibook on 1/1/05, and the HD crashed 4/25/05...

11. gregorydanger macrumors member

It happened to be four times within the first 2 months of having my first iBook.

Not Apple's fault, but it does become their fault when they refuse to replace it until you demand on the fourth failure that they do so. :)

Anyhoo. It happens and that sucks but as long as you have AppleCare you should be just fine.

12. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

yea im HEAVILY considering getting applecare this december...but it still sux cuz u lose everything on ur HD.

13. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

I have an external DVD Drive. I'll back important stuff up on a DVD. :)
    Hey, I use Windows now, and I never back ANYTHING up. I'm a risky guy. :cool:

14. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

by the way imatt, your gonna loooooooooove your ibook. just make sure u get some more ram (by it from crucial)....DANG did i mispell again? :p

15. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Shoulda stuck it in the freezer :cool: Old-school solution.

16. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Well for one, you misspelt "Mispell" haha. It's two S's. And Love only has one O :p
    "u" should be You.
    Ok, done being a spelling Nazi.

17. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I've been an Apple customer since '82 and have never had a hard drive die. Of course, my first Apple computer did not come with any hard drive, but at least the dual floppy drives never broke down either.