Why do full-length movies stream faster than iPhone videos?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HarryKeogh, Aug 7, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

So I have full-length movies (some ripped from DVD, some downloaded) and short videos of the kids taken with my iPhone (these were originally imported into iPhoto and I copied them into iTunes) in my iTunes library.

Any ideas why when I watch them on my Apple TV it takes just a few seconds for the movies to start playing but the home movies shot with the iPhone to slowly load and not play for over a minute after I hit "play"? Both play nice and smoothly but why does a one-minute clip take so long to get going?

2. JAT
    macrumors 603

DVD at 480i60 resolution? Vs iPhone at 1080p30 resolution?

3. macrumors 6502

I have the exact same problem. Full HD movies streamed over wifi from my iMac start instantly, but a short 30 second video clip of my son streamed from my iPhone over Airplay takes up to 2 minutes to start playing.

I've heard that this is actually an issue with a setting on the wireless router, but obviously I haven't done the research yet to make the change.

4. macrumors 68000

Have you checked, what kind of bitrate does iPhone camera produce?
    It's over 21Mbps, VBR, 1080p@30fps.
    That data rate is 1/2...2/3 of that of a BluRay movie!
    ~2.5MB/second.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll have to check these settings when I get home. Thank you both.

6. macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to control this while recording. You only can recode in post to a lower bitrate.
    PS the 21+Mbps rate I referred to, was from my 8Mp camera of 4S. 5Mp of iPhone 4 ought produce less than that.