why do I always get this disk permissions error?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Surface mount, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Surface mount macrumors newbie

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log

When fixed, it will say fixed for a week or so, then when I check permissions again........ there it is

thanks for the help!!:)

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

May sound odd, but it's supposed to do this.

There are maintenance scripts that are executed in OS X on roughly set schedules (Daily, Weekly, Monthly).

After certain scripts have been run, you will find that the specific item you list needs it's permissions repaired.

I don't recall specifically which maintenance task causes this. But, I do believe it to be one of the weekly scripts. So, that would explain the timing.

If you wanted to verify this for yourself, you could run the daily, weekly, and monthly scripts manually (using a terminal command or a free tool like OnyX) right after repairing permissions. You'll find that this little item pops right back up when you repair permissions again.

Keep your maintenance scripts from running, and this item will not show-up in your next permissions repair.

In short, it's nothing to be worried about. It just indicates that your scheduled maintenance scripts have been run.

3. Surface mount thread starter macrumors newbie

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

You're welcome. Glad I could help.