Why do i love my Mac SO MUCH??

Discussion in 'Community' started by ewoh24, Oct 22, 2003.

1. ewoh24 macrumors regular

Ya know, I was just sitting here reading some new posts im macrumors on my 12" PB 867 and I felt such a wash of pride and love come over me that I feel i have to ask the question:

Why do I love my Mac SO MUCH??

I've had computers since I was a wee lad of 8 years. I've had them all: Commodores, Tandys, PC's, Texas Instruments, Ataris. But I've never felt the, dare I say it, OBSESSION that I feel about my new PB. Can someone explain this phenomenon to me please?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

because watching Apple grow as a company is like watching a child grow...new discoveries...new memories...always evolving...

I don't know...was worth a shot...

3. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i know exactly what you mean. When I was a "switcher" with my 667 TiBook I thought it was really cool. When I got my 1GHz TiBook I couldn't let the thing leave my site. Now that I have my 12" AlBook I am inutter awe at it's awesomeness. It is seriously the sweetest little laptop I've ever seen. I'm becoming more of a Mac addict all the time (That's why I'm going to be at the opening of the new Apple store in Lyndhurst by 6am!)

I don't even need to preach to people about why Macs rock so much either, that's the thing that I love the most about Apple. Instead of preaching, people just come up to me when they see my PowerBook and are like "Woah, that's really cool". I don't even need to say a word. I don't have enough great things to say about Apple and the hardware and software they produce, all top notch.

Apple... you rock my world.

4. iGav macrumors G3

Why do I love my Mac SO MUCH??

Easy... because it allows me to do what I love basically.... ;) I don't think I could do, what I do, to the standard that I do it on ANY other platform.

I also have a soft spot for Atari (the proper Atari, not the current faux-wannabie) I remember my 2600, 65XE, 1040 STFM with as much fondness as my first Mac.

I still trawl eBay in the hope of finding the Atari TT, that, in it's day could emulate the Mac, but faster.... ;) :D

5. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

You know, I'm the same way. After working all day on a Gateway, Pentium II/64meg I long to be home working on my iBook. Even if it's just answering emails, or chatting with friends, the experiance is soo much nicer.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

They are so easy to love. Always ready to please. Never giving us problems!

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't feel that way about my Macintosh. It's great and all that, but I'm more detached from it than most people are. However, I can see how you feel that way.

My first machine--an Atari 800--held all that for me. It had the better operating system, a graphics co-processor, intelligent peripherals when the rest of the world was hard-wired.

8. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Attention to detail. Higher quality. Sexy industrial design.

9. Iconocat macrumors member

This just feels strange!

I am not used to identifying with people so much. For pretty much as long as I can remember, it's unusual I find myself having anything in common with people. I've always managed to fit the definition of misanthrope quite nicely.

Since I got my new mac this year, it's unreal how many people I'm getting to know just because I'm obsessed with my computer!! I somewhat recall feeling this way about my first mac, but the world was so different then (1989).

You all seem to have come up with most of the reasons I love my mac. But I think another thing that really sets it all apart is the "community." These days everything is so broad-based and homogenized, finding people in small groups that are dedicated to something specific and special seems to be harder to come by.

It seems to me Apple is poised to take another big bite out of shaping a generation. Is this a blessing or a curse as we see more and more people start joining this culture? It seems easy to see it from both angles. :)

I've been using computers for about 19 years now, and I'm pretty familiar with the events that shaped things back in the initial information renaissance. Does it seem like we're finally getting back into a heated period of innovation and excitement? It definitely feels like there is something crackling in the air these days.

Speaking of the growing community, it was convention of the iPods this evening coming home from work on the subway. I somehow got next to TWO people with them and I had mine. No one said anything but you could see the twitching 'I-See-Your-iPod' grin. Know which one I mean? ;)

10. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

You love it so much because its a nice computer that actually works, now thats thinking Different.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's really sexual, you know...

Just kidding.

I have the same admiration for my LCD display (there's a short-lived thread about it somewhere) and I've already had it for a couple of months.

I think there are a few reasons:

1) The products are of excellent quality
    2) They are well-designed
    3) Aesthetically, they are distinctive, giving them a personality that PCs never have in their beige (or even black boxes). Even with the UV-reactive cables and the clear cases, it's still just a mishmash of "random cool crap" as opposed to the cohesive, artistic Apple designs.
    4) Mac users are a pretty tightly-knit community

There are probably more, but these are a few good reasons. Great products that look great and that are used by great people.