Why do I need bluetooth? Should I put it in an iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Oct 18, 2005.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I have the last rev ibooks. Also older Tibooks. Now, why do I need bluetooth? I think the only reason I would want it is that I heard you can synch up your cell phone with it and also there is some cheap on line international satellite phone service where you can call someone through your computer for like, a dime.

Other than that, having a bluetooth keyboard isn't that interesting to me; or mouse, or whatever. I just have someone who has an internal bluetooth module and I was wondering if it was worth it to put in an iBook for travel.

Any comments pro and con bluetooth, since i have no idea what it even really is, would be very appreciated!

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i use my powerbook's bluetooth connection to connect to
    -my apple wireless mouse (nice because apple's mice have short cords and cords suck),
    -to my phone to copy my address book (only from mac to phone because it's a nokia 6255i and they aren't isync compatable), and
    -to connect the bluetooth headset that usually goes with my phone to my mac to make skype calls (the mic in the powerbook is under the left speaker grill so if you type while skyping it blows out the other persons eardrums).

if you want to do any of these things it's a good idea. bluetooth is far superior to RF or Infrared.

something else you can do is connect a (expensive, good brand) cell phone to your mac and use it as a modem to connect to a normal internet dialup service. I'd like to do this because it sounds cool to be able to do that on the train, but its a little pricey for me (new phone, different provider, etc)

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Its just what it seems a short range data transfer device I like using my bluetooth mouse and not having dongles easy for transport so I see no negatives in them being in the ibook.

PS if your buying a new ibook you dont have a choice so this thread is pointless and if you have an older model laptop bluetooth cant be added so the thread is still pointless.

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

well, I got inspired and found out that my cell phone (Sony Ericsson) has bluetooth. Does that mean I can synch up my laptop and use it as a dialup service? That would be totally worth it. BTW I've never even thought of using my phone for email etc., but I guess it has the capability.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

all powerbooks, ibooks, and imacs, and 1.42 Ghz minis now come with bluetooth standard, so unless you're buying a powermac (ironically) or a low end mini, there's no choice to be made - you're getting bluetooth. :)

That said, I really like having it, and would definitely get it as an add on anyway. Wireless desktops are great, and you can even do computer to computer file transfers with it.

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Salling Clicker and Romeo are great when you've got a Bluetooth module. Version 3.0 of Clicker is out now (bit of a wait for it too) and it's got support for a lot of new phones. You can control your mouse, control iTunes, check for mail and all sorts of other stuff. You could also sync your phone and send messages through Address Book (if your phone is supported)...very handy.

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i forgot to put the disclaimer on my post:
    to use a cell phone as a modem it has to be compatable with mac os x (meaning doenst require you to use nokia's windows only software), and your service provider must allow data transfer over their lines. some providers dont care or are oblivious, some will charge you per kb, some will dissallow normal modem/data style connections and force you to use their 'GPRS' service (extra $ for them). GPRS is a cell phone network data connection designed for internet on the phone or connected computer, most phones have the capability, and providers make you pay out the arse for it hoping that most people will not realize that their modems 10 years ago got higher speeds using older technology for the cost of a local call. can you tell I dont like the cell phone companies?

8. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I didn't have any interest in Bluetooth before I got my iBook. It was included as standard in the recent update though, so I didn't complain.

In the intervening months however, I've found it quite useful for random little tasks. Mostly in the order of transferring files to my girlfriend at a coffeeshop.

Bluetooth 2.0 w/edr is impressively fast. Nowhere near FireWire of course, but quite sufficient for many applications.