Why do macbook's light sensor are located on the speakers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Masquerade, Jun 30, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

seriously, I've been using a macbook pro, and i find annoying when i type or rest the hands above the speakers
    why they don't put that sensor on the display?

2. macrumors 6502a

I know it's annoying, I just uncheck "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" then adjust the screen brightness using the keyboard.

3. macrumors 68040

squeeks

how in the world do you type the you end up with your hands above the speakers?

4. macrumors regular

MPHL

lol thats the same thing I'm wondering.

5. macrumors 68020

MattZani

with my wrists either side of the trackpad, my hands can't even reach the sensors. You must either have massive hands or type strange :S

6. macrumors 68000

yeah, you have to move your wrists so far! i dont understand how/why anyone would do that, rather than leave them either side of the trackpad

what i find annoying is in the evening, i have lights behind/above me, and the shadow from my head can dim the screen and change the keyboard lights, although i have it set up so i manually control it

7. macrumors 6502a

yea.. lol = = :confused:

8. macrumors 6502

I type w/ my hands facing inwards at about a 45 degree angle, and still don't really hit the sensor (and I have pretty big hands). However I do like to rest my left hand on the speaker while mousing w/ the right hand. Always messes w/ the screen brightness :mad: Switching off the auto-adjust brightness did the trick though.

9. macrumors 6502

wgilles

If you have big hands like me it's hard not to. Also, whenever I hit the delete key it always dims because of my big hand being over the speaker. Don't assume he is sitting there with his hands over the speakers.

10. macrumors 68000

e12a

i agree its not a very ideal location. The shadows from my hands in certain lighting conditions causes the screen to dim, also the bright screen itself on a white background causes the screen to spontaneously brighten when it affects the sensors.

the air has its sensors on the LCD bezel, where those two holes are. a better location, in my opinion, but then you get holes.

11. macrumors 6502a

zakatov

They're in the grilles because that's the only place where light can enter inside the computer. Where do you want it to be? They're the only places on the top part of the case when it's open and furthest away from the hands when they're placed on the "home row" position for typing.

12. macrumors 68000

fleshman03

As such is the difference between a 15" and a 17"

13. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I turned mine off because it was just inconvenient.

14. macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

I'd love to use it because it really is a very useful feature, but I have to turn it off because anytime I hit the top left functions keys I dim the screen.

....sadly, I do like showing the feature off to people who are interested in the MBP

15. macrumors member

For me at least when I eject a disc, change the volume, or delete an extensive amount of text half of my hand seems to float above the speaker, but while I'm typing this I don't have any problems.

16. macrumors regular

Icewind

This happens to me also. I think its more the shadow of my hands rather than my actual hands (depends on where I sit/light sources etc). What I have noticed is how amazingly sensitive the sensors in the MBP's are compared to my old 15" PowerBook. When I'm sitting on my sofa with the TV on (and no other lamps), my MBP constantly increases the brightness whenever a bright scene appears on TV. Then decreases it when a dark scene comes on. My lounge walls are white, so the entire room tends to light up with bright TV scenes. At first I actually thought there was a problem with my screen until I sussed that it brightened up along with the TV lol.

Not a big issue for me... I was actually quite impressed that the sensors were in fact this sensitive.

17. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I also use lab tick to control the keyboard lights with a shortcut. Can still show off easily.