Why do mods ignore established threads?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by freeny, Mar 17, 2006.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Why, as a practice, do the moderators start a new thread in "page one" even if there is an existing thread already established in another section on the same subject?

Couldnt they just move the existing thread to page one instead of ignoring it all together?

Example-
    Original thread-
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=187414

New "page one" thread an hour and a half later on the same story-
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=187431

WTF???:confused: ???
    Is it that the mods dont search first?

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Maybe they don't search. Or maybe Macrumors automatically posts a thread ever time there is a new announcement. ;)

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would think that it automatically starts a new thread when the story is posted. But that doesn't stop them from merging the old thread into the new one. But then the MR article isn't the first post in the thread, which can be problematic.

4. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Try not to feel too bad. I posted about the DOJ investigating about online music price-fixing a few hours before it hit the main page - posted a link and everything - and then after it went to page one someone yelled at me that there was already a thread on the subject... :rolleyes:

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The regular moderators don't have any control over the news threads. I've combined a few with the user threads and it looks a little odd, but...eh, whatever.

On the other hand, if you post a thread on the same subject as one that's already an official thread, don't expect to be congratulated. :D

No one tries to ignore anything. You may see everything pertaining to a certain issue because you're looking specifically for that issue, but someone else won't. We can't be as focused as you--there is just too much information to watch.

7. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Thanks guys. Was just a little peeved. I understand this isn't a perfect world, Oh well.

I have moved on...

Hopining for the true Video pod in a few weeks.;)

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What's a regular Mod? I thought they were all the same.:confused:

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I didn't see the original thread. I've merged the two now, but the best way to let me know when you post something that you think should be posted to the front page is using the submission form:

http://www.macrumors.com/site.php?mode=submit

That gets to the right people.

arn

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We link a news story directly to an existing thread only if a post matching the news story (the post by member "MacRumors") does not need to be in the thread. Usually, it is appropriate to have it there for the sake of discussion.

Sometimes, after a news story is posted, we merge in other threads on the same news item, if they contain discussion worth combining (and we spot the other threads). In some cases, posting links from one thread to another is good enough, and you did this yourself in the case you mention.

When the threads appeared, you did not choose to use the reporting system to send a message to the moderators on duty, which is the only guaranteed way to let moderators know to consider merging threads. If you post comments intended for moderators in a thread, they may or may not see it.

11. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Thank you Arn, That was very kind. next time I will submit a story that is page one worthy. all is forgiven:)