Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I've found that I can extend the life of the jeans by a little while if I buy jeans that are raw and of a higher denim weight (usually Swedish and Japanese) but still them seem to go from new to hole in the less than 18 months.

G-star RAW can be OK, because they often have double-layered material in that region.

Maybe their duty cycle is too high, I only have 6 pairs (2 grey, 2 light blue and a 2 dark blue), maybe they get worn too much?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also found that if I freeze them to clean them, instead of washing them, not only do I save water, but the material tends to last longer. I usually just leave them in the -20C or -80C freezers at work.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wearing out on the crotch? Damn, you must be the Minnesota Fats of pocket pool.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
What type of washer do you use? Does it have an agitator and what material drum does it have?

No agitator at all. Edelstahl (which translates as a high-quality stainless steel, i guess). It's a Miele that kinda looks like this:

Attachments

• miele.jpg
    miele.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 376

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Those are the best washing machines on the planet. Seriously.

I'm quite happy with the Miele stuff we own. It's not that much more than another equivalent but they tend to last and are entirely fixable, which is nice. We stack a heat pump dryer on top, which probably isn't the best for the longevity though.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Those are the best washing machines on the planet. Seriously.

From the Steve Jobs biography:

(On deciding whether to get a vertical or horizontal washing machine)

Steve Jobs said:
"We ended up talking a lot about the design, but also about the values of our family. Did we care most about getting our wash done in an hour versus an hour and a half? Or did we care about our clothes feeling really soft and lasting longer? Did we care about using a quarter of the water? We spent about two weeks talking about this every night at the dinner table."

They ended up getting a Miele washer and dryer made in Germany.

"I got more thrill out of them than I have out of any piece of high tech in years," Jobs said.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Are you walking strangely in them and stretching out the crotch? What line of work are you in and do you wear them regularly to work? I had a pair of levi's blow out in the crotch once and that's because they were 4 years old.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Are you walking strangely in them and stretching out the crotch? What line of work are you in and do you wear them regularly to work? I had a pair of levi's blow out in the crotch once and that's because they were 4 years old.

I work as a group leader (like Asst. Prof) at a university. Yeah, I wear them all the time. It seems to be a friction-based issue because you can watch them wear out over time. It may come from sitting at a desk actually, which is pretty lame.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I work as a group leader (like Asst. Prof) at a university. Yeah, I wear them all the time. It seems to be a friction-based issue because you can watch them wear out over time. It may come from sitting at a desk actually, which is pretty lame.

My guess is that it's that barbed wire jock you're wearing.:eek::D

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I thought I was the only one!

Mine water out there every damn time! I end up sewing them back up to make them last longer! :D

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I thought I was the only one!

Mine water out there every damn time! I end up sewing them back up to make them last longer! :D

I found someone that I see every few months, that lets me drop them off and I pick them up next time I see them.

And there's a place in NYC that patches them (http://denimtherapy.com/). My rips look like the one on the front page, and the prices are reasonable (damn Americans), but I don't want to deal with customs.

I just can't stand the cost versus how long they last before getting a hole.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
...It seems to be a friction-based issue because you can watch them wear out over time. It may come from sitting at a desk actually, which is pretty lame.

maybe switching chairs would help? A seat cushion might help.

To me it seems like they're wearing out way too fast, especially since you cycle thru a number of them

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Maybe get a cheap pair 1 size larger to try and see if maybe they are too tight? And rubbing and stretching too much.

dreary

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe get a cheap pair 1 size larger to try and see if maybe they are too tight? And rubbing and stretching too much.

this plus i recommend putting your jeans in a freezer to clean them. i prefer freezing my denim, it kills all the odor and bacteria yet the jeans remain practically brand new.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Designer jeans tend to wear out faster due to using softer cotton. I got holes in two pairs of Seven jeans and I just sit at a desk all day. Denim Therapy fixed them for about $40 a jean which is cheaper than $120+ for new ones.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
maybe you are carrying an unusually large package down there and the jeans are made for regular loads :apple:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I find the freezer method weird but interesting to try. Quick question though, does it remove any smell, dirtiness and stuff or just put them in the freezer after a days use that you didn't get anything dirty on them?

Now for my jeans breaking I have never had problems with them breaking/ripping until 3-5 years old. I use Woolite w/ normal washing cycle then I dry them at med-high temp in the dryer (I have balls on the dryer and I also use one sheet of softener)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.