Why do my jeans wear out so fast in the crotch?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acidfast7, Nov 15, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I've found that I can extend the life of the jeans by a little while if I buy jeans that are raw and of a higher denim weight (usually Swedish and Japanese) but still them seem to go from new to hole in the less than 18 months.

G-star RAW can be OK, because they often have double-layered material in that region.

Maybe their duty cycle is too high, I only have 6 pairs (2 grey, 2 light blue and a 2 dark blue), maybe they get worn too much?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also found that if I freeze them to clean them, instead of washing them, not only do I save water, but the material tends to last longer. I usually just leave them in the -20C or -80C freezers at work.

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wearing out on the crotch? Damn, you must be the Minnesota Fats of pocket pool.

3. macrumors 65816

imaketouchtheme

What type of washer do you use? Does it have an agitator and what material drum does it have?

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

No agitator at all. Edelstahl (which translates as a high-quality stainless steel, i guess). It's a Miele that kinda looks like this:

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Those are the best washing machines on the planet. Seriously.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I'm quite happy with the Miele stuff we own. It's not that much more than another equivalent but they tend to last and are entirely fixable, which is nice. We stack a heat pump dryer on top, which probably isn't the best for the longevity though.

7. macrumors 603

firestarter

From the Steve Jobs biography:

(On deciding whether to get a vertical or horizontal washing machine)

8. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Are you walking strangely in them and stretching out the crotch? What line of work are you in and do you wear them regularly to work? I had a pair of levi's blow out in the crotch once and that's because they were 4 years old.

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I work as a group leader (like Asst. Prof) at a university. Yeah, I wear them all the time. It seems to be a friction-based issue because you can watch them wear out over time. It may come from sitting at a desk actually, which is pretty lame.

10. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

My guess is that it's that barbed wire jock you're wearing.:eek::D

11. macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I thought I was the only one!

Mine water out there every damn time! I end up sewing them back up to make them last longer! :D

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I found someone that I see every few months, that lets me drop them off and I pick them up next time I see them.

And there's a place in NYC that patches them (http://denimtherapy.com/). My rips look like the one on the front page, and the prices are reasonable (damn Americans), but I don't want to deal with customs.

I just can't stand the cost versus how long they last before getting a hole.

13. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

maybe switching chairs would help? A seat cushion might help.

To me it seems like they're wearing out way too fast, especially since you cycle thru a number of them

14. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Maybe get a cheap pair 1 size larger to try and see if maybe they are too tight? And rubbing and stretching too much.

15. macrumors G5

leekohler

The same thing happens to me. I think it is because of sitting at a desk chair. It happens to all my pants too.

16. macrumors regular

this plus i recommend putting your jeans in a freezer to clean them. i prefer freezing my denim, it kills all the odor and bacteria yet the jeans remain practically brand new.

17. macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Designer jeans tend to wear out faster due to using softer cotton. I got holes in two pairs of Seven jeans and I just sit at a desk all day. Denim Therapy fixed them for about $40 a jean which is cheaper than $120+ for new ones.

18. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

My jeans used to wear out at the crotch all the time too. Guess how I fixed the problem ? Yep, I stopped being fat.

19. macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm not fat. I'm in great shape. My jeans still wear out in that spot.

20. macrumors member

because you've got sweaty balls...?!

21. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Listen, lee, we all know why your pants wear out there!:D ;)

22. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Lap dances??

23. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

maybe you are carrying an unusually large package down there and the jeans are made for regular loads :apple:

24. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Maybe"?? [​IMG]

25. macrumors 603

Carlanga

I find the freezer method weird but interesting to try. Quick question though, does it remove any smell, dirtiness and stuff or just put them in the freezer after a days use that you didn't get anything dirty on them?

Now for my jeans breaking I have never had problems with them breaking/ripping until 3-5 years old. I use Woolite w/ normal washing cycle then I dry them at med-high temp in the dryer (I have balls on the dryer and I also use one sheet of softener)