Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Light blue will be active 3G on March 31st...

Why in the world did they decide to cover the entire western half of Kansas and the eastern Dakotas? Those areas are going to have better coverage than many large metro areas. Geesh AT&T.

Last edited:

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I find AT&T to have faster data coverage, and has been reliable for any metro area I've been in (including NYC).

Now... their voice service... thats another story. But I never make calls, and this is the iPad, so I don't make calls there.

Needless to say, if I got a 3G model, it'd be AT&T.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Remind me why people buy AT&T iPads?? The difference in 3G coverage is ridiculous.

View attachment 276509

$30 a month for UNLIMITED = PRICELESS!:p:p:p

Being able to change your SIM is Priceless. :p:p:p I have never had any reception problems with my iPad and have been very happy with AT&T. In all my years with AT&T I can not imagine not being able to change my SIM.:p:p I use multiple phones and Verizone would not cut it with me.:eek:

I have friends who use Verizone and they are amazed at the AT&T speeds in comparison to your slow and lethargic speeds of Verizone:p:p:p

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
For me, because the AT&T iPas is unlocked. When I travel internationally, I can insert that counties SIM into it and use their 3G networks.

+1

North Korea still uses CDMA, so you can use your VZW iPad there. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

shingles314

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
My iPhone is on AT&T and I have a verizon MiFi. When I travel, I take both. All I can say is, if I am in a spot where I cannot get signal on my iPhone, the MiFi does not fair much better. They are about the same. Verizon has better EVDO coverage in rural areas, but that's really not relevant to me (and probably many others). I just don't travel to many of those places with no coverage. I do travel outside of the US. Good luck with a CDMA device outside of North America.

LFSimon

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
Illinois
Unfortuantley the following map is not a map of ATT's 3G service, but rather a map of all their different data services combined:
Well, for me it's because ATT data speed is at least 4-5 times as fast as VZW.

And FWIW, that map is NOT correct. I just retrieved this one from ATT web site and it's far different from the one you have: :confused:

coverage_Data.gif

Maybe you're just trolling?

I'm an ATT customer and I'm buying an ATT iPad, but with that said the poster is correct. That map you posted shows ATT's entire "data" network but only a portion of this is 3G. If you go to the actuall link and zoom in it shows the difference in different shades of blue that you can't see on the full country map. Beleive me, I've spend some time at relatives in some places where the national map looks solid blue but there was no 3G anywhere close just the much slower E service, But for us the ATT service is fine 99% of the time and their options are better suited to us.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
$30 a month for UNLIMITED = PRICELESS!:p:p:p

Being able to change your SIM is Priceless. :p:p:p I have never had any reception problems with my iPad and have been very happy with AT&T. In all my years with AT&T I can not imagine not being able to change my SIM.:p:p I use multiple phones and Verizone would not cut it with me.:eek:

I have friends who use Verizone and they are amazed at the AT&T speeds in comparison to your slow and lethargic speeds of Verizone:p:p:p

what is this unlimited data you speak??? sounds suspiciously marxian to me!!!!!!!!

Technicalspeak

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I just have wifi because I have wifi where I will be needing this. That being said I would have bought the AT&T version if I had bought a 3g. Everybody I know
who uses or has used Verizon has had issues with them. With me, it was in the neighborhood of huge charges that I could not have been responsible for. my phone was broken for a month and during that month I supposedly ran up 500 dollars worth of calls and text messages. I guess a lot of people just pay the charges and assume they used too many minutes. They couldnt explain it to me, even with their databases but I am sure had I paid it they would never have sent a check back.

forget verizon!

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
If i was frequently driving around Montana, Utah and the deserts of eastern Oregon...I'd definitely have a Verizon iPad. ...But since i am not, and I actually leave the country every other month and go places were there is NO CDMA. :) Well you get the picture.:apple:

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
It really all depends on where you live. In my area, Verizon's network is much better than AT&T's. When I had my iPhone my town didn't have 3G and it was pretty slow on Edge, and my phone dropped calls more often. However where I'm living now has 3G and I never dropped any calls. I can understand the advantage of an AT&T iPad... especially if you can use it overseas.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
lol. But at least Verizon 3G is faster than AT&T Edge. Am I the only one that doesn't travel out of AT&T's happy zones?

Is this comment serious? 3g is always faster than Edge!!

I choose AT&T because they are faster POINT BLANK! I dont like the fact that they arent available everywhere like Verizon but then again.....Im not traveling to many there isnt coverage.

And that map u have sir is off by miles.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I think both carriers are great. My iPhone is with AT&T, however my iPad will be with Verizon. So, I figured no matter where I am, I'll have some sort of data coverage so that I may surf the web, check e-mails, stream music, and whatever else I can do that requires a data connection.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
lol. But at least Verizon 3G is faster than AT&T Edge. Am I the only one that doesn't travel out of AT&T's happy zones?

I live in one of the largest cities in MI and I'm out of their happy zone.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Why in the world did they decide to cover the entire western half of Kansas and the eastern Dakotas? Those areas are going to have better coverage than many large metro areas. Geesh AT&T.

Do you have a clue on what the process is to install a cell tower? I do and just getting the land is only a fraction of the crap you have to go through. You will be fighting city boards and have to get FAA and FCC approval in certain areas for any structure that is over a certain hight. It is a royal pain!

So, to answer your question, they are likely getting better coverage because they were the easiest to get operational quickly.

Pick the carrier that works best for you. I was going to switch to Verizon but ATT recently bumped the towers around here and things have been working a lot better. So, I'm staying.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I'm in NYC and I can honestly say that ATT sucks.
I have Verizon. I had the iPad 1 3g (ATT) and it was dread aweful. I always had full reception, but the internet as slow as hell. Page loading literally took 45 seconds most times.

I'm glad that Apple now makes the iPad for Verizon and am loving the VZ 3G connection in NYC.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Well, for me it's because ATT data speed is at least 4-5 times as fast as VZW.

And FWIW, that map is NOT correct. I just retrieved this one from ATT web site and it's far different from the one you have: :confused:

coverage_Data.gif

Maybe you're just trolling?

This.

VZW 3G avg 600 to 800Kbps around KC based on the feedback of our sales staff on iPhones and data cards.

My ATT 3G iPhone with 2 bars pulls 1.5 to 2 mb and in my office easily avg 4 to 5 mb down. When LTE is the standard it won't matter, until then ATT blows VZW out of the water for where I need cellular data. Not everyone has poor service from ATT. Welcome to the rest of the US, and the rest of the world that is GSM. I won't even mention voice + data at the same time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.