Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Offensively one sided responses like yours convey the perfect iSheep

Wasn't any different than what chugg said so I guess youre saying he's the perfect android sheep as well.

If buying the best smartphone for my needs and sticking to forum etiquette instead of being a troll te way the android sheep are doing here at macrumors makes me a iSheep then that's fine by me :D

Last edited by a moderator:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If buying the best smartphone for my needs and sticking to forum etiquette instead of being a troll te way the android sheep are doing here at macrumors makes me a iSheep then that's fine by me :D

Do you really believe this? You think you follow "forum etiquette" when you belittle those that don't make the same choice as you time and time again. The most vivid recent post I remember you proclaiming an Android user as a less than average IQ. THAT is forum etiquette? Sheesh, I honestly don't even know why I bother.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't hate Android ....... But I do hate some of the Android users who will stop at nothing to try an prove that their device is superior to the iPhone.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Do you really believe this? You think you follow "forum etiquette" when you belittle those that don't make the same choice as you time and time again. The most vivid recent post I remember you proclaiming an Android user as a less than average IQ. THAT is forum etiquette? Sheesh, I honestly don't even know why I bother.

The IQ comment was simply a question for the OP. I didn't state anything ;)

I don't mind if someone makes a different choice than the iPhone, but android people coming to an iPhone forum and flooding the forum with off-topic threads is against forum etiquette. It clutters up the place, makes it harder to find good iPhone information, and encourages trolls to come here.

There was that more polite for you?

chugg

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Wasn't any different than what chugg said so I guess youre saying he's the perfect android sheep as well.

I love it. Because I don't blindly attack competitor products, I'm an Android sheep. Best part is, I don't even own an Android phone!

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I love it. Because I don't blindly attack competitor products, I'm an Android sheep. Best part is, I don't even own an Android phone!

Was I talking to you at all with that quote? :confused:

I was responding to what lordofthereef had said.

Focus man... focus ;)

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
MOD NOTE: So that this thread doesn't get any more off-topic, I'd just like to remind everyone that it's fine to post about competing products in this forum. The OP posted a specific question for discussion.

The thread title is clear, so no one who doesn't want to discuss other platforms should have been mislead. If you don't want to discuss this particular topic, just don't click on the thread. ;) /MOD NOTE

As for the topic, I think the need to bash/be negative about an OS comes from one of two things: blind brand loyalty that usually involves a lack of experience with other brands, or genuine bad experiences with the brand. The first isn't constructive in any way, the second can be interesting to discuss.

Basically, the two systems are similar enough that you can do most of what you need on either, and different enough that people can have a strong preference for one or the other. That can make for some interesting discussions. "Hating" really isn't interesting for anyone.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
And there are some of us that have a lot of Apple products, plus Android, plus Windows, plus WebOS. That makes me an Android person and according to you I'm poor and my Android products are crap. :rolleyes: And by the way, I am in the 24% tax bracket, so I am far from poor (and I don't pay my taxes in Peso's either amigo.)

I don't know what 24% tax bracket means I don't live in the USA I don't give a **** about your situation but that's why Android people hate the iPhone the majority at least.

other than larger screens what have they innovated? (which is NOT an innovation by the way)

Last edited:

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
Why do I dislike Android?

I dislike Android for one reason. Fragmentation. People say its not that big of a deal, but it is actually a huge problem. Android 4.0 was supposed to fix this, but it was only adopted by a mere 3% after months of being out. Some people don't mind this, but it makes for an incredibly inefficient platform. It is expensive and time consuming for developers to make new apps because they have to code for more than one version of the OS. Now you could say that iOS has more than one version of the OS, but since the creation of iOS, it has not had any major UI changes that affects apps, and the hardware has not changed at all. With Android phones, the hardware is always different, and the software has major differences with each version of Android. I personally have owned android phones, and I liked them. But I fear that Android will falter if it doesn't fix this android problem. Android 4.0 started an attempt to fix it, but may have made it worse seeing that 5.0 is due for release not too long from now, and 4.0 isn't even being used the the majority of consumers.

Due to experience in making software, I really think that Microsoft's phones have potential. Their Metric UI is simply stunning, so I think that if people give it a chance, Microsoft's phones may turn out to be gold.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I dislike Android for one reason. Fragmentation. People say its not that big of a deal, but it is actually a huge problem. Android 4.0 was supposed to fix this, but it was only adopted by a mere 3% after months of being out. Some people don't mind this, but it makes for an incredibly inefficient platform. It is expensive and time consuming for developers to make new apps because they have to code for more than one version of the OS. Now you could say that iOS has more than one version of the OS, but since the creation of iOS, it has not had any major UI changes that affects apps, and the hardware has not changed at all. With Android phones, the hardware is always different, and the software has major differences with each version of Android. I personally have owned android phones, and I liked them. But I fear that Android will falter if it doesn't fix this android problem. Android 4.0 started an attempt to fix it, but may have made it worse seeing that 5.0 is due for release not too long from now, and 4.0 isn't even being used the the majority of consumers.

Due to experience in making software, I really think that Microsoft's phones have potential. Their Metric UI is simply stunning, so I think that if people give it a chance, Microsoft's phones may turn out to be gold.

Yep, pretty much. Here is the exact reason why devs are also getting sick of Android fragmentation and some have even quit. Instagram works flawlessly on iDevices, not so much on Android. Problems from day one thanks to all the different versions of the OS and hardware. But all of those 1443 Android phones running 6 different versions of the OS are great because you have a choice right?! :rolleyes:

http://webtrends.about.com/b/2012/0...rs-theres-fragmentation-in-instagram-land.htm

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't know what 24% tax bracket means I don't live in the USA I don't give a **** about your situation but that's why Android people hate the iPhone the majority at least.

other than larger screens what have they innovated? (which is NOT an innovation by the way)

Lol

The 3GS is 99 cents with contract new. If that's still out of your price range you can get a refurb for 1 cent.

4 new is less the 100 bucks.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The IQ comment was simply a question for the OP. I didn't state anything ;)

I don't mind if someone makes a different choice than the iPhone, but android people coming to an iPhone forum and flooding the forum with off-topic threads is against forum etiquette. It clutters up the place, makes it harder to find good iPhone information, and encourages trolls to come here.

There was that more polite for you?

I could care less about how polite you are. I am just highlighting that you don't practice what you preach. If you want forum etiquette so badly, it would behoove you to practice proper etiquette yourself. Questioning a person's or group's IQ because he/they disagrees with you (hate Apple) doesn't seem to gel with the very definition of etiquette. But continue being rude man, it's all good with me (it really is), but don't expect those with opposing viewpoints to do any better.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Widgets are a pretty new thing on mobile phones. People seem to like them too, so much that Apple has included a version of them in their own OS.

Copy and paste was also implemented in Android before iOS (note, I am not claiming android was the first mobile OS to implement copy and paste). Interestingly, android's copy and paste is a near carbon copy of how iOS handles copying and pasting. Another interesting fact is that Apple (it may have even been Jobs himself) stated we got copy and paste and it took so long because Apple waited to "do it right".

Let's talk about stores. One might say Apple's AppStore was an innovation of their own. I would argue against that. We had a store, called Installer (jailbreak), way before Apple implemented an Appstore. At the time, Apple seemed to think the future was in web apps, since they were focusing heavily on those.

But honestly, I don;t understand why something has to be completely newly innovated in every way, shape, and form, to be useful? I think both platforms have added various tidbits to the mobile OS world. In my eyes, it is just as impossible to say Android would be what it is today without iOS as it would be to say iOS would be what it is today without Android.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Smug responses like yours are why iphone users hate android people on our iphone forum :rolleyes:

This is a public forum though. I'm a member of 2 forums that you have to qualify for to be able to use, this is not one of them (one is career related the other is firearms related).

There are plenty of members here that have owned android and didn't have a problem with it or own both. Usually some immature brat will call them a troll and they go to more mature forum.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is a public forum though. I'm a member of 2 forums that you have to qualify for to be able to use, this is not one of them (one is career related the other is firearms related).

There are plenty of members here that have owned android and didn't have a problem with it or own both. Usually some immature brat will call them a troll and they go to more mature forum.

If we want to get technical, the forum is called Mac rumors. Anything not directly related to rumors about Macintosh computers should be discussed elsewhere. This includes news about Macintosh computers because news is not a rumor. :p /removetonguefromcheek

Honestly I see a lot more unbiased opinions here about android than I would have thought. Yes, you see some people unfairly bashing it, but for the most part I see people expressing the pro's and con's of each and typically they are able to come up with more pro's for iOS.

As for me personally, I've never used android (aside from a few times playing with friends phones). That's been the beauty of iOS to me, because I've never felt compelled to leave. That's good enough for me. But I can explain to you why I prefer staying on iOS than going to android

First, I like having the best phone and I like it being a simple, objective process. :) by that I mean the best on my respective platform. I would kill myself comparing the pro's and con's of the 5 "it" android phones at the moment and then once I finally picked my favorite I would be content for approximately 2-3 months before the next shiny android phone came out that I would want. Rinse and repeate every 2-3 months after that for 2 years. I love the yearly release cycle of the iPhone. I get it on opening week. No remorse, no questioning, no comparisons... then I have the best phone I could ever want for a full year. (I only upgrade every other year, but I'm ok with not having the best for the 2nd year)

Also, Updates. I like knowing that I am guarenteed updates for the entire life of my phone, plus I will get them the moment they come out. Yeah this is mostly a techy thing, because I'm always reading about the new features. But it would annoy me to buy the best android phone available, and the second I leave the store it already is on an outdated OS. Then I would get the update 5-6 months down the line, but by that point I'm lucky if the NEXT OS hasn't already been released. And then (generally speaking) that's it. You'll get about 1 upgrade on android (unless you root and deal with all those hassles which I prefer not to) and then you'll have outdated software for the next 1.6 years till you get a new phone.

I'm gonna hurry up and finish up this post so I'll just end with how I started. I don't want to leave iOS. Would I like android (or WP7) more? I dunno. Would I get more functionaility, features and more out of them? Maybe for certain things... But why? I like iOS. It's simple. I understand it. I like my upgrade cycle. I have my ecosystem. I love Apple design. Sure, I'm an iSheeple. Whatever you want to say, but I'm happy with it. Apple knows how to keep its customers happy and unless they royally screw something up, or someone comes out with some KILLER feature... I'm not going anywhere...

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Why I hate on Android...? These two posts should answer as to why
'I" really HATE Android...

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14459389/

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14058746/

p.s.: A friend of mine uses two phones... He has been using a Nokia N8 as his main phone and a dumb phone as the secondary... Recently he bought a Galaxy Note... He rested his Nokia and used the Note along with his dumb phone... Today, just a month after he bought the samsung he uses the Nokia as his main phone again and the Note as the secondary... Today I asked him why does he carry the two giants...? He says just two words and I start laughing... "********* battery"...

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
It's posts like that which I think cause so much android/ios disucssion on here

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Because they are idiots. Plain and simple. They have nothing else going on in their lives. Pathetic bunch really.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

Amen brother.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
It's a phone. Spending the time to hate on one or fanatically defend one is pretty much a waste of time.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Because they are idiots. Plain and simple. They have nothing else going on in their lives. Pathetic bunch really.

Really? I just find it funny that this is an iPhone forum and android trolls come here to hate on people who have found the phone they like. So it's funny to me that android trolls can't get a life and stick to their own forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.