Why do people have multiple ipods?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Meecrob, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Meecrob macrumors member

Meecrob

Just a question. Is there actually a point to having an ipod video, nano, and shuffle all at the same time?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, if you want to play videos, games, and use the Nike+ kit, you'll need both the iPod Video and a iPod Nano.

3. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

so you can listen to three times as much music at once... duh

4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Well I am one of those.

I have...

...a 512mb shuffle that I bought as a refurb cause it was a good deal with a free armband :rolleyes:

...a 1gb nano for running and iPod sport kit

...a 20gb 4G that I got for Christmas in 04...my "gateway" apple item...and my first apple item. I use this in my car through my auxilary port.

...a 30gb 5G that I got for basically 90$ with the student promo when my mom bought her macbook.

...and a 1G that is just sick cause its the first iPod...it is in Prestine condition too:D

Now I really want a 2nd generation nano and shuffle:eek:

5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Well, I wouldn't want to take my 5G Video iPod out when I'm mountain biking--its expensive, and theres no need for all the features. So the Shuffle is perfect! I hit play on my shuffle, throw it in my CamelBak, and forget about it. :D

On the flip side, when in my car the Shuffle just wouldn't do... Definitely need the larger capacity, and a screen...

6. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

Its because they either have lots of music, or because of the features.

The iPod is updated practically everyday, and to get the latest stuff you need the latest iPod.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Why not?

They all do similar things in different ways..people have many shoes, many of which(not all of them...running shoes vs dance shoes, I know, but some people have multiple dancing shoes) do the same thing. I like to change this up...I have a Vidoe, Nano and Shuffle and 1G..now I'm work on a way to sell somethings inculding my 1G, to buy a new Nano and Shuffle..I might give my family members my old Nano and Shuffle..or sell them if I need th cash to pay for the new ones

8. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

9. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Now that is a great analogy...I'll have to use that one:)

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I have a 1GB nano for running and a 40GB iPod photo (original, baby) for long trips. Can't see needing much else.. :confused:

11. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

Me? are you talking about me?

yeah, I get strange looks at the airports when security guards ask me the same question. As someone already said, different features and functions. Plus they were announced at different times and some of us sort of pick them up you know?

My 1 gb shuffle I use as a flash drive (you have a flash drive yes?) or when I am outside and worried about weather

My 4gb nano I wear around my neck with the lanyard (love that lanyard) for general listening

My 60 gb video I use for travel (airplane screen is small too). I catch up on my tv shows that way (Lost, desperate housewives)

and really, why not?

12. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I've often really quietly queried this too - why the need for multiple iPods?

I guess the same ppl who have multiple iPods would have multiples in another things too. I personally don't understand the culture of doubling up in consumer goods (even if they are designated for specific things) - I guess I would go so far as to say I would think it's a not a particularly attractive attribute from my own political viewpoint.

However, we (and I'd say unfortunately) need to keep purchasing and throwing away 'things' (as opposed to repairing things) to be a fully participating and a 'good' member of western society. Without ppl buying up constantly, our economy would change. I would argue it would change for the better, but then where would the R & D money come for new shiny mac products? (which I love).

Personally, I'm iPodless (never had one) but have always dearly wanted one (as I already have a Sony personal CD player) - I'd not feel comfortable buying one until my Sony died, stolen etc.

Bottom line maybe: We are a globally diverse world and just as it wouldn't be great if we all were hungry consumers of everything - it also wouldn't be good if we all turning our backs on consumerism.

13. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I use my Nano at work and when I am out and about. My 3G in the car. I have a Pioneer Head Unit with an iPod interface in my car. I use the 5G when I want to watch videos or movies. I use Handbrake so I have a lot of good stuff on my iPod. And I use my shuffle when I work out. Which is why I barely ever use my shuffle :D

14. mashinhead macrumors 68020

to be honest i don't uses the ipod like a walkman. to be honest when i had a walkman or discman i ddn't use it one th day to day, just on trips. i have a 5g 60 gb which i pretty much only use in my car. And a Nano for the gym. The nano for obvious reasons. The other one because i have A LOT of music, and its easy and nice to have that selection in there. I think the size of your library plays a part. If it was small i think i't only have one.

15. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Honestly im just a huge fan of Apple i own 1 shuffle, 2 nanos, and a 60 gig video. I do use them all though i know they arnt all needed per say. But i use my shuffle for a pindrive because i received it as a gift, 1 nano for jogging and workingout, 1 nano for my iHome and my 60 gig in my car so i can bring my whole music collection with me everywhere. Yes i know i could use one of these for everything but im a apple fan and ehh im lazy.:cool: i just sold my 60 gig cause i wanna get a 80.. Once a apple fan always a apple fan.

16. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i thought the best part of the shuffle was the usb connector. It was actually a flash drive that played mp3s not the other way around, i don't like the new one. if it was 2gb, i could see it, but now its just neither here nor there.

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I use my old Third Gen iPod as a fourth HD, just for storing pr0n.

:p

18. mashinhead macrumors 68020

its a good thing its white. j/k

19. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

I'm EXTREMELY tempted to buy a new 8 GB nano and a Nike+ Sport Kit. That way, I can justify getting one, and shave off a few pounds in the process!:D

20. Macanadian macrumors member

I have two iPods myself... a 512 shuffle and a 10 gig 3rd gen.

The shuffle is great while at work, I walk to work (30 min walk). The 10 gig is good for my long road trips. Recently went on a 2,000 km week long trek on the car (1,200 miles). Pre- iPod days we used to take around 20 cds in the car and get bored listening after awhile.

iPod nano is next on my list with the Nike add-on. My wife has a Motorola ROKR also.

21. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

so people can use them for different things
    eg in front of my laptop i use it as an ipod
    when im at school i use my mini (it just lasts the whole day)
    when im out i use my other(3) mini
    when im driving i use my other(2) mini
    and when i am going to sleep i use my shuffle
    i still can find a use for the other shuffle yet but give me time

22. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I curretnly have 2.

-a 4G ipod photo, I bought new, I use to store my music collection (11Gig's and counting) and primarily use it hooked up to my car in-dash system via an ipod interface.

-a 5G version I bought off of ebay for $60 bucks with a broken lcd. I replaced the lcd with a new one and now use it a large flash drive. Formatted for FAT32 I use it to transfer large file folders from PC's to my Mac's and back.

-I also had a 4G b/w model I also rebuilt with a new HDD but didn't need it so I traded it to someone for my Power Mac G4.

23. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I used to have a 2nd gen for the car, and a mini for everything else. Sold the mini a bit back then my 2nd gen died. Need a couple new ipods.

24. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

My 20GB iPod is in storage and I just use my 4GB nano for everything. I can see with the 8GB, the nano could possibly be the only iPod I need. The nano + Nike sport kit is all I need. I may just get the shuffle for the lightest, no fuss mp3 player for dangerous activities that could break my nano or if I am too concerned with it being swiped.

25. mdickson macrumors regular

I have a 30 gig 5g video iPod, and I'm about to buy one of the new 80 gig ones just for the storage