Why do people send me ".wps" files?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Cheese, May 7, 2003.

1. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I have not figured out how to decode documents that are sent to me in a "wps" format. I assume that this is some sort of a wordperfect (or as we often call it turdperfect) format. It seems apologetic to ask the sender to resend the document in their mail program, not as an attachment "because I'm using a Mac" . It is as if I am admitting some sort of lesser system that requirews their special attention, and it would further concern them if they were thinking of switching..... What is the proper etiquette for this social faux pas?.

2. cubist macrumors 68020

They could be something else, like Microsoft Works.

Don't say because you're using a Mac. Say, "I don't have the same word-processing application you have. Can you save the document as RTF (Rich Text Format)? That way, we can both use the word processors we like, and formatting will still be preserved."

Frankly, I think it is arrogant to send someone a document in a proprietary, binary data format. Often one must make allowances for the stupidity of the Office herd mentality - but even in those cases, I feel obligated to at least voice an objection. Standardized, vendor-neutral formats should always be used.

True, Microsoft originated RTF as a proprietary format, but they documented it, and it is supported by most word processors.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I don’t think that they are criticizing your platform choice.
    Simple ask for the document in RTF (cross platform).

I think that .wps was primarily a M$ Works format, but I could be wrong. Their app should be able to generate a .doc. M$ Office (I use it for it ubiquity) should be able to decode most file formats, but so should Apple works. You could try importing the file in different formats until you found one that worked.- just a stab in the dark.

As far as metafiles, PDF is preferred by most endusers, it is fairly robust, and now, with the proper software, editable.

For simplicty, don't froget .txt format.

4. Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheese

Thank you cubist. As always, you continue to be a source for proper use of digital things in the world, Mac or otherwise...wise being the operative descriptor. Your wisdom is only exceeded by your generousity in sharing your knowledge. Many thanks.

5. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

6. Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheese

Tangerine, Thanx for your perspective. Alternatives are what makes the world go 'round. I don't deal with receiving wps file extensions from peecee encumbered "thinkers" everyday, so the ability to offer several choices to them when this occurs could be very important. Useful and insightful...

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Cool, thanks for the kudos.

This is a common problem, even in the M$/WinTel world. People don't always upgrade word-processing suites and well, problems occur. Strangely, I think we have M$ to thank for the RT format. I believe it was their attempt to come up with a universal no proprietary format that was compatible with many different applications.

What program are you using?

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I believe that you can open it in word, maybe text edit, I think access is gained with a program on your computer, pre-loaded already, I remember opening with something non-word...

9. Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheese

I ALWAYS use AW6 (.2.7) whenever possible. I try to stay on time with my updates to soft and firm ware... can't afford updates to hardware until I have no other choice...

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

WordPerfect files are .wpd - MS Works are .wps

Wordperfect is a superior program on any platform to Word. It doesn't have the integration into the other MS programs, but a large portion of the corporate sector (mainly law firms) use WordPerfect over Word.