Why do people skip OS X revisions???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cosmo modo, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Cosmo modo macrumors member

I was just wondering, i really don't understand why someone would 'skip' upgrading to the latest OS X ??

It's only 120 bucks every 18 months.... what's the point of still using Panther at this time.....

I read so many posts of people stating they still run OS X Panther..... i just don't get that.....

Sorry, just posting my thoughts here..... feel free respond :)

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Because the older OS does exactly what they need? Maybe software that they use isn't compatible with a newer OS? There is a saying in the corporate IT world "If it ain't broke don't fix it!".

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Why should one upgrade if everything works fine ?

4. Cosmo modo thread starter macrumors member

Well, that would be something i really don't get... not upgrading because everything works fine.....

Okay, it would be smart to wait until one is sure all will work.... so skipping until Apple has released a few patches / updates.... but still using Panther after nearly 2 years Tiger has been released, there's no excuse for that....

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Well at least you have an answer to your question even if you don't get it.

6. HallofRecords macrumors newbie

Of course there are reasons for still using Panther: 1) Apple still supports it, and, 2), there are indeed those of us who are pinching pennies to the extent that saving $120 does make a difference. I'd like to buy Tiger for my iBook (G4), but I also need money for more RAM, another battery for said iBook, and money to visit my best friend who lives 700 miles away, among other things.

Thus, I might as well hold out for Leopard.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No excuse? You simply have no idea...

When there isn't the money for Tiger, nor any appeal for its key features when used in an office/studio situation... and when an upgrade would necessitate stopping work for a day or longer and sorting out all the software incompatibilities with the carefully set up workflow that you have spread over 6 machines, then that qualifies as a sound and business-based reason.

8. Cosmo modo thread starter macrumors member

Do you still drive a car that was build in World war 2?
    Do you still use OS 7? And so on.....

I come from a competitive art background (games) in my industry the newer software you have the more and better features you have, so that's keeps you ahead of the competition.

I probably have a complete different view on these things......

System administrators are lazy.... upgrading computers... that's a lot of work.... yeah and it's what you are geting paid for :)

Yep, a conversation at my company.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Panther is actually quicker than Tiger on G3 hardware. Tiger also broke a lot of software that worked well in Panther, which would mean having not only to pay for Tiger itself, but upgrades to your software where the fix isn't free. There's a couple of reasons why a lot of people decided to stay on Panther and miss Tiger out completely.

As for why people skip in general, it's like asking why someone would still be using Word v.X or Photoshop 7. Sometimes there's just no reason to upgrade, so why pay to do so?

10. HallofRecords macrumors newbie

No, I don't use Windows. Sadly, some of my friends and relatives have to.

You asked about Panther, not OS 7.

Exactly. Not everyone needs or can afford what you do/can.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Ridiculous analogies.

What competitive advantages did you gain by running Tiger vs. Panther?

As has been previously stated, in business environments, you just don't upgrade because something new came out. There are many factors that must be considered befroe doing so willy nilly. Will internally developed apps work properly? Training? Costs? Will new hardware be needed?

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm a print designer and am responsible for keeping our Mac network running; not paid as a system administrator. Besides, our system administrators on the Windows side are anything but lazy. I think you're making these ridiculous statements up as you're going along.

And there's not one feature in Tiger that is of any relevance in a print-based workflow... what's more, Tiger was known to break the functionality of certain pieces of critical software. I fail to see how widgets keep you ahead of the competition. :rolleyes:

However, we will be upgrading to Leopard for the sole reason that some of the newer apps we will be purchasing this year need a minimum of Tiger to run on. That is a sound reason for upgrading; caring about irrelevant bells and whistles isn't. Like I'm going to ditch our network backup software for Time Machine...

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Wow what a completely clueless comment. This thread is pointless. You asked why people don't do something, and rather than accept it you've set out to prove they are idiots or lazy.

I am responsible for a **** load of computers for various customers and there is no way you'll see me making changes that aren't required. It has nothing to do with being lazy, it just isn't good business practice!

14. calculus Guest

calculus

You make it sound as if it's some kind of obligation.

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Apparently, your company is way behind the times. Personally, if my print design vendor isn't using this

[​IMG]

I'm not getting my money's worth.

16. Cosmo modo thread starter macrumors member

Well yeah, personal frustration with system administrators may make me biased :) For the record: I never stated IT people are idiots, those are you words.

Okay.... there's probably good reasons for not upgrading in some cases.

Personally i'll upgrade as soon as possible again when OS X Leopard will be available :)

17. Queso macrumors G4

Great! You can report back all the issues so we can be assured why we're waiting for 10.5.1 :p

18. calculus Guest

calculus

That's very generous of you.

19. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm sure the feelings are mutual. ;)

20. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Whats all this talk of system admins? most of us privately own our systems and personally choose whether to upgrade or not.

the sort of money you are talking about isnt small, and so people need to make a decision, i wouldnt just upgrade blindly, to whatever apple released, I would decide if i need/want it bad enough! is it worth that much to me?

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1) not everybody is as rich as ppl who can afford $129 for maybe something they don't need
    2) why do ppl upgrade every version anyway? too much money to spend? $129 can give u a good book, or a DS lite, or several movies, or a cellphone, ....

22. TWEO macrumors member

I just buy a new laptop around the time a new OSX version comes out :D Of course, I sell the "old" one for a reasonable price.

23. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I use Tiger on a work machine and Panther on my personal PB. There is NOTHING in Tiger for me that is worth the time/money spent on upgrading my PB. Panther does everything I need it to.

Of course, if I ever contract the "upgrade fever" bug, then I will start upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. But so far I am sticking with what works for me.

24. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Sorry to add to the general kicking your comments in this thread are getting, but my sysadmin spidey-sense was tingling...

Slapping a new version of an OS onto a machine isn't (usually...) hard work, especially on the Mac.

But installing a new OS, ensuring that users are at least as familiar and as productive with the new OS as the were the old, and also having a plan in place for taking advantage of the new features of the upgrade is both hard and difficult work.

A bad sysadmin will install something new and shiny in the space of an hour or so, look smug and walk off saying "look, you've got version 10.9 now! You should be happy!".

A good sysadmin will have spent a month or two running a test system with the new OS. They should not assume they know everything about how a user works. They should be taking the time to understand what it is their users do and what effect system changes will have. They should be talking with their users to see what they'd like improving and also suggesting new ideas that might help. They should be performing compatibility testing, finding (indeed, coding) work-arounds if necessary.

Sometimes during this process the conclusion that the change is not required may be reached. This is where the sysadmin needs to be brave. Personally, I won't ever make a change unless I feel I've got an answer for everything the user might ask. So, for me, the best upgrades are ones the users never notice, but quietly make things better from a performance of admin-ease point of view. If I'm changing something the user's going to notice, I make sure they've been involved in the evaluation of the change and that they're going to be fully at home in the new system.

So, if I were suddenly to find myself in the role of Blue Velvet's sysadmin, the first thing I'd have to do is learn how she does her job and what tools she uses. I'd need to spend a considerable amount of time finding out how those tools work (at the nuts 'n bolts level, not the creativeness bit!). And the last thing I'd do is welcome her to work next Monday congratulating myself on having install the latest version of OS X but need to explain away why I have no idea why her colours all suddenly look a bit 'off'.

... which, incidentally, is why so many professional Mac users tend to be their own administrators. If I knew enough about Blue Velvet's job to be her sysadmin, the chances are I'd be doing something more akin to her job than being a sysadmin :)

25. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

To tell you the truth, the only reason I have Tiger is because I have the desire to have the bleeding edge software (that will change when I become a dad in June I predict)

Tiger has fantastic new features that Panther lacks. But are those features worth $130? Not hardly. Panther had Expose which is an important addition for me usability wise. I could take or leave spotlight and Dashboard... and lets be honest, thats all Tiger really gave us.

Now Leopard's Spaces WOULD be very good for what I do so I would probably upgrade.

Now as far as iLife '06.... I have NO idea why I upgraded to that... Apple is going to have to pull off something fantastic to get me to move to iLife '07...