Why do people want their iPhone 5 to be perfect from a logical perspective

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Jan 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I understand it costs over $700 and I use to be anul about it too.

But after my first serious scratch I have come to realize that if this was a Nokia no one would care. I wouldn't care.

My razr was really egged up scratches in all everywhere. But who cared. It was legit. And that's all that matters.

iPhone 5 a straight legit phone and that's all that matter.

2. macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

simple. atleast for me.
    if i spent over $700 for a product, dont care if its nokia, sony, motorola, samsung, apple... anything at all. i'd like for it to look perfect out of the box.

3. macrumors 65816

Because the iPhone 5 is something that is nice to look at, it's pretty, and it's not cool to make something pretty ugly.

Some people don't see beauty though. They look at the logo and then turn their brain off. Those are the same people that look at a painting and think "what's the big deal" or "this Mona Lisa painting is boring".

4. macrumors 604

Personally I don't care about scratches on ANY of my devices, Apple or not, as long as the scratches aren't on the screen :)

5. macrumors 601

Did you actually just compare the iPhone to the Mona Lisa? :D

6. macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

I have a lot more things to worry about in life than getting a scratch on my phone.

7. macrumors 6502

You kinda answer your own question, at the price we pay for an iPhone people make sure to look after it and to keep it in pristine condition.

If your happy for your iPhone to be scratched all over then you get on with it. Personally I prefer to have mine still in good condition.

You lost me with the legit stuff, not really sure what your on about.... ......??

8. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

I do not think the OP is talking about "out of the box", i think he is referring to scratches, blemishes or dings after you have been using it for a while.

I kept my 4 in a case, and i had my 5 in a case for the first week. The 5 is such a great looking phone that i am now carrying it naked.

I am sure it will show some wear overtime but such is life, i bought applecare+ this time around.

9. macrumors 601

eawmp1

It isn't logic (for logic would dictate the longer you own something, the more likely it will show wear) it is emotion.

10. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Back in the day, i remember OCD kicking into overdrive about my N95 8GB and the common loose slider. The crap people went through to get a "perfect" one!
    Finally, someone figured out how to fix the problem ourselves. take it apart, bend the rails. Tight slider! Ahh, the good ole days.

Its not just Apple. Everyones quality control sucks it seems. I think people have high expectations for a device that costs upwards of $1K. Perfectly understandable.

11. macrumors 65816

Some people may treat their iPhone as a tool. They don't bother with some minor flaws/scratches.

Some people may want their phone as to be perfect when they invest such a substantial amount of capital on such a product. It's only logical.

Different people have different preferences.:)

12. macrumors member

I once bought a cheap LG featurephone for 30$: It was in perfect condition! I mean wtf=?!? I get a flawless device for 30$ from LG, but Apple can't produce a flawless one for 700$?!?

13. macrumors 6502a

For me, it's partially about resale value. A lot of people would buy an iPhone just because it is an iPhone, but if you take good care of yours, even more people will take notice of it = potential higher value.

Then there's the thing about user experience; it's much more pleasant to look at an unscratched screen than noticing a streak every time you watch a video or play an app.

Finally, there's the pride thing. When I bought my first iPod on eBay, I was overjoyed and proud to own one even though it was scratched to heck and back. Over the years of reading how people kept there idevices in mint condition, I fell into that crowd and wanted to protect my products, too. I'm sure each person has their own perception. Sent from my iPhone 5.

14. macrumors 65816

First off who's going to pay 700 for s phone? The 64gb iphone is only 400

15. macrumors 65816

Not everyone buys the phone on contract.

$400 is not a small amount of money either.

16. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

1) I am very OCD about the conditions of my product.....a tiny scratch would annoy me beyond belief (almost a stressed out feeling)

2) resale value. An iphone in perfect condition will sell a lot better than one with flaws; making upgrades yearly very do-able

17. macrumors regular

Here in Sweden the lowest price for a new unlocked iPhone 5 16 GB is $900. You can get it for less (up front) if you buy it with a subscription/contract with an added monthly cost on your bill. But in the long run (over the contract that's normally 24 months) you often still payed at least $730 for the hardware only .

18. macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Yup! I agree 100%. When you upgrade, having a scratched and dented phone will net you less at resale.

19. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is a phone and will get scratched.

20. macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Apple sells and markets this phone as a very expensive 'jewel'. Are people wrong to expect delivery on that promise?

21. macrumors 6502

My thoughts also. I resell every year so I want it top notch for top dollar.

22. macrumors 6502

I think some imperfections help with the beauty of it. My Black iPhone 5 has been naked since day 1 and yes it does have very slight wear and tear on the chamfered edges but that's to be expected. It is how the iPhone 5 was designed and natural wear and tear in my eyes helps give the phone character.

23. macrumors 65816

Yes I kind of did, and I think it's valid, though they're not on the same level.

24. macrumors 65816

Because this...(cut from my last post)

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions. Symptoms of the disorder include excessive washing or cleaning; repeated checking; extreme hoarding; preoccupation with sexual, violent or religious thoughts; relationship-related obsessions; aversion to particular numbers; and nervous rituals, such as opening and closing a door a certain number of times before entering or leaving a room. These symptoms can be alienating and time-consuming, and often cause severe emotional and financial distress. The acts of those who have OCD may appear paranoid and potentially psychotic. However, OCD sufferers generally recognize their obsessions and compulsions as irrational, and may become further distressed by this realization.

25. macrumors 6502a