Why do ppl prefer Crucial memory?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac_i_Am, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Mac_i_Am macrumors member

Nov 22, 2004
    My new Powerbook is on the way and memory upgrade will be one of my first move. So i've been checking out forums (even dpreview.com) and Crucial.com seems to have the best reputation. Sure they have a great reputation, but, why?

Compared to other sites who also give LIFETIME warranty on their memory and are MUCH cheaper:

TransIntl: 1Gb = $259.00 http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2503&RequestTimeOut=500

Datamem: 1Gb = $229.00 http://www.datamem.com/parts_that_fit_list.asp?M=PowerBook+G4+1.5GHz+(M9422LL/A)+15"&MF=Apple&C=

Crucial: 1Gb = $479.00 (!!!) http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...werBook+G4+1.5GHz+(15-inch+Display)&submit=Go

So why do ppl tend to prefer crucial?? If a company is willing to guarantee it for life then thats (IMO) 90% of the sell.
  2. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
    Heh, I just went with this guy and I am satisfied..

It was $139.99, so cheap I couldn't afford not to!
  3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I went with OWC and am very satisfied. Had always bought crucial before my PB because that is what I was told to do....so I did. I still think they are a great place to shop, but not the only one. Now I look around a little bit. ;)
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I also went with OWC, no problems here....
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    > You forgot to look at OWC ($94):

Thats the price for the 512. The OWC 1 Gb, which is what the original poster was looking for, is $237. It's a Nanya MBGA chip (Micro Ball Grid Array) module, which is a good part.

> Heh, I just went with this guy and I am satisfied.. It was $139.99, so cheap I couldn't afford not to!

The Fry's/Outpost link shows $160 and is a no-name module with only a 1 year warranty. It is also an old-school double-sided module with full sized TSOP chips, not the current MBGA chip low-power-drain design. This one I would avoid, IMO.

7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Just bought from them:

-Excellent service and support
    -Guarantee for life
    -Works flawlessly
    -Computer now shows increased performance
  8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    as i've said many times. only the uneducated prefer crucial,do a little research and you'll realize what morons they are for recommending them. may as well just buy from apple and save the time.
  9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    My typing mistake, I meant $294 for the Samsung, which is the one I bought....
  10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    From Crucial.com

And its not just the uneducated who buy Crucial. The above reasons are good reasons to buy from them. As for the Cutomer service, I can speak 1st hand, it is superb! To make a statement like that shows you must be one of those that "prefer crucial!"
  11. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
    Yes, the price has been raised. Search the forum for "Supercheap 1gb Powerbook RAM" and there was a thread about it. Meh, double sided works for me. Still saves me $150+

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    And pay $700 for a 1 gig RAM chip? I think not.

My PowerBook has Crucial RAM in it. Worked like a charm. Apple stuff is nice and all, but is way too expensive.
  13. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    crucial is a good seller of ram, but not the only one out there who provides quality products. once in a while u see crucial come out with cheap deals; but i think the main selling point is the fact if there is a problem they just send you stuff till it works, and there it is rarely a case where there are problems, and even rarer (tho not unheard of) for multiple problems
  14. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    no one is a moron because of what memory they buy, and you're not anyone to call them that either.

some people buy from apple because they believe it is more reliable - because they dont want to install ram, or because they dont want to hve to troubleshoot annoying ram issues with 3rd party vendors. good for them.

other people like to buy crucial because of their good reputation, and also the fact that their website allows you to check that you are in fact buying the right ram. in terms of price, i was looking for a 512mb stick on crucial, got the price, and headed out to several retailers. the lowest price i found was 40% more than the crucial price.

a reputation is something you can't buy, and crucial is lucky, because they have a good one..