Why do some muslims wish to ram their religion down the throats of children?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Oct 15, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

It's one thing all this kerfuffle about youngsters who suddenly stop wearing tight jeans and decide instead to take schools to court for the right to wear a veil, but this latest action by Ms Azmi, should surely be called for the b.s. that it obviously is. For frack's sake she's teaching youngsters in a church of England school, it's a bit sick to force on them a teacher who is covered head to toe in a black sack with a tiny eye slit.

Mrs Amzi insists she will not remove her veil in front of males but she did not wear the veil when being interviewed for the job by a male governor. This single fact should be enough to call this woman a sick fraud, and move on.

When will all this Muslim mayhem end? cartoons, veils, beauty pagents, dead nuns... why don't we hear about abortion clinic bombing Christians any more?

2. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Why do Muslim men find it offensive for women to show their face? :confused:

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I'll take a stab at that but first I'd like to mention that the topic of the thread is not so much the ways of Muslims but rather why any cheap publicity stunt gets so much media coverage. I mean the fact that this turkey went for her job interview with a male governor, without being covered head to toe and then later on pretends that it's all about her religious freedom, brands her as an obvious fraud, yet she gets the front page on the bbc website as if it's a genuine burning issue.

To answer your question, my guess is that it's just another tool of oppression.

4. toontra macrumors 6502

I think what we're seeing at the moment is a media feeding frenzy. IMO it's very lazy journalism - a few thin stories designed to whip up heated debate and inevitably some people's prejudices and preconceptions. Far easier to do this than research and break real news, maybe of a more complex or "demanding" nature.

Not saying there aren't issues here, just that they are being blown out of proportion and cynically manipulated.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not Muslim men insisting on Muslim women wearing the veil: most Muslim women wear it by their own choice. Are they wrong?

As for the OP characterising the wearing of a veil as "ramming their religion down the throats of children", don't you think that's rather immoderate language? I dislike the wearing of t-shirts with logos on. Bloody people trying to ram their message down my throat.

6. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I've heard that said plenty of times but it always makes me wonder if that is the case why there has to be laws forcing women to do what they apparently want to do? Remember the morality police in, was it Egypt or Saudi Arabia? who forced a bunch of young girls back into a burning building to die because they weren't wearing their veils?

You don't think that a non muslim child being confronted by a teacher covered head to toe in a black sack with an eye slit might be a trifle intimidating? What do you think of her decision to go to the job interview without her veil?

@toontra

I've wondered about this.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There are no laws forcing them to do anything, at least in the UK.
    Frankly, no, and it's completely irrelevant.

Who said anything about confrontation? Nobody is being confronted except in their preconceptions and paranoia. No pupil has complained, and what is more, the woman in question is interpreting for Muslim children whose English is not up to scratch. Why would her wearing a veil be offensive or confrontational in these circumstances?

8. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

No not in the UK but there are in Iran and Saudi Arabia, (unless one is wealthy). I must ask why does there need to be laws *anywhere* forcing women to wear a big black sack. Would men stand for this sort of oppression. Is this the message we want to send out to our kids in school. This charade by Ms Aziz is not about religious freedom it's about wearing a symbol of political oppression.

Sorry, I thought it was a well known story. Here's the link. The 'relevance' was in answer to your assertion that women want to wear the veil. I'm sure some do but a lot don't. Even if it's not a matter of life and death.

skunk, what do you think about her decision to go to the job interview (with a male governor) not wearing a veil, then later claiming she can't remove it in front of males? Don't you smell a rat.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Actually, the pupils had complained, she was teaching English to a class of pupiles where english wasn't the first language, and because of her veil they couldn't see her mouth move, making it harder for them to understand.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

isn't it the nature of christian parents to indoctrinate their children into one of the christian religions? i don't see a difference.

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

:cool: y'all better watch what you say in here. They're going to try to kill anyone who disagrees with them and speaks of it...:cool:

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a symbol of their faith and their modesty - which is regarded as a good thing. The dress of many Muslim men is likewise dictated by scriptural interpretation. As is that of the Amish, Hasidic Jews, Mormons and others.
    What message would that be? That flaunting yourself is preferable to modesty? Many Christian women seem to be able to stomach covering themselves when in a church. Muslims, for some unfathomable reason, seem to think that God's purview extends beyond the mosque. Since both religions maintain that God is all-seeing and omnipresent, the Muslim version seems the more rational.
    It's clearly not a symbol of political oppression to Ms Aziz.
    I never said all Muslim women want to wear the veil. Nor do they. What they do in Muslim countries is irrelevant, to us at any rate. It's up to them.

An interview is one thing, where the interviewee is being examined, and needs to identify herself. Daily work practice is entirely another.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Who are "they"? Do you have a link?

14. toontra macrumors 6502

Not particularly funny or informative. In fact, decidedly unpleasant.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I don't think that this story can be called lazy journalism. It was started by comments made by Jack Straw about Muslim women wearing the veil and has been 'ratcheted up' a few degrees by other politicians comments, including a minister for race relations saying that Ms Azmi should be sacked. This is one of the extremely rare occasions where I actually agree with the politicians and the government.

On a different but related topic, I also believe that BA were right to ask that a member of staff conceal her cross whilst at work. Britain is a secular state in all but very old constitutional law, and I believe that such overt religious symbols are unnecessary.

16. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Why does Saudi Arabia and Iran make it illegal for women not to not wear the head to toe black cloth eye slit thing?

Not wearing a complete head to toe black outfit is "flaunting" oneself? If not then what are you getting at here.

However in the UK most Muslim women do not cover themselves from head to toe. In fact Ms Aziz didn't at her interview. What say ye about this?

It isn't "up to them" if it's a law is it? If it was not a political decision by Ms Aziz then why did she not respect her religious beliefs at the interview?

17. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

18. Queso macrumors G4

All religion and religious symbols need to be banned from UK schools IMO. And whilst we're at it, we need to disestablish the Church of England. I see no reason why 26 Bishops of the C of E are entitled to sit in the House of Lords and have a say on legislation that effects the lives of non-practising Christians.

And ban faith schools. All of them.

19. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

:confused: Why not just ban GOD?:eek:
    I'm moving to a deserted island where it's safe from all these unbelievers!

*searches through travel brochure for deserted island getaways*

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

21. Queso macrumors G4

In schools yes. Religion should not be pushed on children by the state.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow, someone's really got some deep-seated hatred against Muslims...

I hate to break the news to you, but adherents of all religious faiths have been guilty of "ramming their religion down the throats of children". It's one reason I'm not so hot on religion.

Ever met any children of Jehovah's Witnesses? Or Pentacostals? :rolleyes:

23. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Amen to that. (No pun intended)

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That is, of course, a different thing from saying that people should not be allowed to wear the symbols of their faith. I certainly agree that faith schools do not help integration, and that the C of E should not have any reserved status either in political assemblies or the state.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How is just wearing a veil "ramming religion down the throats of children"? It's better than the Phelps family taking little kids to military funerals to protest homosexuality.