Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Been using Newsrack for a while now. I think it's a great app. Got Reeder too since it got rave reviews. It's a great app too, but after using it for a while, I'm still not sure why so many people prefer it over Newsrack. Is it purely because of the user interface (swiping, etc.) or is there something else I'm missing? Thanks.

shadowness

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
I used Newsrack at the beginning. It's a very good app, but after reeder was released, Newsrack got delegated to the second position! I haven't opened newsrack in over a month.

I love reeder's pleasant looks and gesture support. Reading feeds in news rack is good but the basic controls and commands like starring, mark as read and mark as unread take way to many keystrokes and travel. Even moving forward and backward from feeds is a chore! Reeder's swipe gestures make it very intuitive for scanning a large no of feeds in a very short amount of time!

Still some features like feed organization and additions are missing from reeder . But it's not a big deal for me as I can do it from the desktop when I need!

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
The main reason I use Reeder is speed. The UI is perfect IMO. I normally go into the full article view then used the arrows on the left hand side to page through them. Any I want to read get sent off to Instapaper or read within Reeder. I find it the most pleasant and above all quick RSS experience on the iPad.

The only thing I would change is to allow for multiple Google accounts. I have two, one for tech news and one for motorsport news so I don't see any spoilers. I use NewsRack for looking at the motorsport feeds.

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
NewsRack came out with an update today which seems ot have fixed the speed issues. I still dont see the big deal about reeder. ALl I see is too many fanboys for it and when you speak negatively about it you get shot down pretty quick.
IMO NewsRack is a far better app than Reeder. For e.g NewsRack allows you to add feeds plus use Google Reader. Reeder doesnt allow this and only allows people who have google reader. No flexibility there to add your own feeds. There are few other functions like this that Reeder doesnt have.

shadowness

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
NewsRack came out with an update today which seems ot have fixed the speed issues. I still dont see the big deal about reeder. ALl I see is too many fanboys for it and when you speak negatively about it you get shot down pretty quick.
IMO NewsRack is a far better app than Reeder. For e.g NewsRack allows you to add feeds plus use Google Reader. Reeder doesnt allow this and only allows people who have google reader. No flexibility there to add your own feeds. There are few other functions like this that Reeder doesnt have.

Me? I am no way near a fanboy! The iPad is my first ever idevice as such and I had no idea about any of the apps for the iPhone prior to owning an iPad!

Like I said I bought newsrack first even before I knew what reeder was. I got attracted to it when I saw the preview posted by macstories.com and waited for the release and bought it the moment it arrived! One of the few buying decisions I don't regret!

Why?
I liked the way it looked... Plain and simple! Not of your run of the mill apps.
I loved the way it worked, pure form follows function ideology for me! As a designer that idea is totally ingrained in me!

When a new device is introduced which totally eliminates the old pradigm of HID and is controlled only by touch and gestures, apps designed for such device should be build around those concepts, not with traditional point and click methodology underlay as a foundation. It won't hold much appeal when a user is interacting with it.
Reeder is one such app, like the device itself, was innovative for that category of applications

Does the lack of certain features bother me? Yes, if I am gonna use my iPad as the only device. So No, it doesn't bother me coz I use my desktop or laptop all the time. If I want to add some feeds On the ipad I do so on the GR mobile site.

The OP asked others opinion regarding the liking for reeder! If you don't feel so you are welcome to your share of the views!

But name calling and labeling others as fanboys is off the line!
Not everybody is the same, each have their own likes and dislikes, and in a community forum everybody is entitled to express their views, but with certain responsibilities!

In the future please refrain from name calling without prior or sufficient knowledge!

Peace!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
NewsRack came out with an update today which seems ot have fixed the speed issues.

Oh thank you! I would have missed it for a few days more!

Of course I read this after I just updated my feeds! But the actual stories are loading faster, so that is hopeful!

I didn't use google reader until recently, which was one reason I went with NR because it didn't require it.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
My god, people are so quick with the word 'fanboy' these days. Get over it.

I used Newsrack for a long time (and evaluated and rejected many other readers including the gimmicky ones like early edition and pulse). Reeder eclipsed Newsrack for me with its superior/minimalistic UI.

But it's a personal preference and it's beyond me why people think there is a "right" answer. Use what you like. Fortunately there is plenty of choice. My decision should not affect yours and vice versa.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It decided to load Reeder back onto my iPad again. Have to admit that I like it wore the second time around. As per the advice of a poster above, I use the left arrows to advance to the next article. This is much better than clicking the next article on Newsrack. In Newrack, I would skim the summary on the left, but what usually happens is that gloss over the articles titles, not even taking anything in. With reeder, I read the name of the article when it's displayed on the right side in much bigger font. Not only does this decrease I strain but it allows me to efficiently read all the articles titles instead of glossing over the list looking for a word that stand out or sentences that catch my attention. I will keep both for now, but eventually will Reeder over Newsrack. I will also keep Pulse around for those times when I want some with panache or to read those feeds that are pic intensive such as Gizmodo and Endgadget.

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Me? I am no way near a fanboy! The iPad is my first ever idevice as such and I had no idea about any of the apps for the iPhone prior to owning an iPad!

Like I said I bought newsrack first even before I knew what reeder was. I got attracted to it when I saw the preview posted by macstories.com and waited for the release and bought it the moment it arrived! One of the few buying decisions I don't regret!

Why?
I liked the way it looked... Plain and simple! Not of your run of the mill apps.
I loved the way it worked, pure form follows function ideology for me! As a designer that idea is totally ingrained in me!

When a new device is introduced which totally eliminates the old pradigm of HID and is controlled only by touch and gestures, apps designed for such device should be build around those concepts, not with traditional point and click methodology underlay as a foundation. It won't hold much appeal when a user is interacting with it.
Reeder is one such app, like the device itself, was innovative for that category of applications

Give Apollo news a shot. I think it is a very well made program and I use that along with Newsrack now.
Does the lack of certain features bother me? Yes, if I am gonna use my iPad as the only device. So No, it doesn't bother me coz I use my desktop or laptop all the time. If I want to add some feeds On the ipad I do so on the GR mobile site.

The OP asked others opinion regarding the liking for reeder! If you don't feel so you are welcome to your share of the views!

But name calling and labeling others as fanboys is off the line!
Not everybody is the same, each have their own likes and dislikes, and in a community forum everybody is entitled to express their views, but with certain responsibilities!

In the future please refrain from name calling without prior or sufficient knowledge!

Peace!

Look man, did I even label you (Shadowness) as a fanboy?? Get over it man, I never labelled you as that. When I label fanboy, what I mean is you can check out many threads where they say Reeder is the best and everything else is crap. That to me is a fanboy. Thats what I meant. Look people have preferences and thats well and truly fair enough. I have never once inferred that no one should like this or that as people can make up their own minds. To be Reeder doesnt have a good interface and I dont give much to swipes.

At the end of the day interface and other things is a beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing. You may like it and I may hate it. So its really a preference thing. Like I said you love Reeder and good on you for that. There are fanboys out there, just read through the forums and you can pick them out easily. And also when someone says they dont like a particular app because of this and that, you see them very aggressive and they are very confronting, that again is a fanboy. So there you go..

Give Apollo News a shot. Its a very well made program and this is what I use along with NewsRack.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Invoking the word 'fanboy' should be the new Godwin's law. If you can't make your point without it, you probably already lost.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I used Newsrack at the beginning. It's a very good app, but after reeder was released, Newsrack got delegated to the second position! I haven't opened newsrack in over a month.

I love reeder's pleasant looks and gesture support. Reading feeds in news rack is good but the basic controls and commands like starring, mark as read and mark as unread take way to many keystrokes and travel. Even moving forward and backward from feeds is a chore! Reeder's swipe gestures make it very intuitive for scanning a large no of feeds in a very short amount of time!

Still some features like feed organization and additions are missing from reeder . But it's not a big deal for me as I can do it from the desktop when I need!

This pretty much sums it up for me also. NewsRack is still on my iPad b/c I like it and it works great but Reeder is my first choice and I keep NewsRack around for those times I'm in a different mood and want to see a different look when reading feeds. Reeder is great and I don't see my taste changing much. I love the minimal design/appearance of the pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.