Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I know exactly what you mean, OP.

Presentation design is a whole other world in of itself. They carefully set up optimal lighting to showcase their products, they do careful material analysis of the furniture they pick to showcase their products on, their products are usually in superb condition, and I think just the general atmosphere and architecture of the building plays a huge part in it. Even if you don't think about it, your emotions are heightened when you are in a place you don't go to everyday or are looking at products you may be interested in. Just a little bit of adrenaline kicks in.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011

Presentation design is a whole other world in of itself. They carefully set up optimal lighting to showcase their products, they do careful material analysis of the furniture they pick to showcase their products on, their products are usually in superb condition, and I think just the general atmosphere and architecture of the building plays a huge part in it. Even if you don't think about it, your emotions are heightened when you are in a place you don't go to everyday or are looking at products you may be interested in. Just a little bit of adrenaline kicks in.
Ahh. Thanks for the reply. :) When I use my Apple stuff at home it isn't quite the same, I guess? =[

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I often see products look worse in stores as they haven't really been configured well or people have played around with them. They certainly look better in advertisements (be they on TV or other form of media).

Reactions: ifixscreens

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Ahh. Thanks for the reply. :) When I use my Apple stuff at home it isn't quite the same, I guess? =[
is this because you are buying products because of the feelings the advert gives you, or because you actually need them?

It would explain why you are walking away with buyers remorse..

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It depends on the products. Usually tech devices like smartphones, laptops, and tablets don't look any better in store, sometimes worst. But something like a car always looks better inside the dealership showroom. And TVs always look smaller in the store.

I agree with TSE's post. Product placement and mood of atmosphere plays a part for many people.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
TVs in particular have the brightest settings enabled. That coupled with the light generally makes for an impressive presentation, although not an accurate one.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011

But then in the store the stuff isn't mine.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011

Nothing beats that :(

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

Part of the science and art of marketing.

Reactions: Meister
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.