Why do they still call it "iTunes"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by patseguin, Sep 13, 2006.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    With the move to photos, movies, and TV shows, it doesn't seem logical to keep calling it "iTunes" other than brand-recognition I guess. Anyone see Apple changing the name in the future? Maybe "iMedia" or something of the like?
  2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    There's no reason to change the name. The point of iTunes is still music, everything else is just awesome extras.

3. c-Row macrumors 65816

Jan 10, 2006
    Because it's a well established brand by now. And let's face it, iMedia wouldn't sound half as cool. :cool:
  4. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    The brand recognition is really strong with iTunes.

Then again, Apple did drop the 'Power' branding on its computers when it went intel - maybe they'll do something with iTunes as they increasingly invest more into TV/movie services.

For the near future, though, I doubt it. It's just too strong of a brand.
  5. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    West Palm Beach
    Maybe they are waiting until they rewrite it in cocoa :p.
  6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I agree that the brand name recognition is important. "iTunes Music Store" has been shortened to "iTunes", which helps indicate that the store is no longer just for music (which was already true before yesterday), but they only removed one of the two musical words.

The title of a business doesn't have to reflect everything it sells, especially after people learn the name. Radio Shack is an excellent example. They've probably longed to change their name, but the brand name is too important.

One of the smarter retail store titles is "Bed Bath and Beyond". They sell bed and bath items, various types of housewares, storage containers, clocks, toys, and so many other things (even food!) that it couldn't possibly describe them all in a title. They just have to get you into the store the first time. One of their competitors is named "Linen 'n Things". Same idea. Maybe Apple should call it "iTunes+" or "iTunes Etc." or the "iTunes 'n More Store".

More questions to ponder: Should Apple have had a longer term view when they first introduced the iTunes Music Store, and given it another name at that time? Did Steve's vision extend that far into the future? If they named it something more general then, would the name have resonated with the music customers they had to entice? Would a more general name have given away their long-term game plan?

And the best question of all: Even if the name was "The Apple Music and Audiobooks and Music Videos and TV Shows and Movies and iPod Games Store", would we be right back to this same problem when they started selling software and electronic books and stock photos and whatever else appears down the road? (Sorry if I gave away your plans, Steve.)

On the other hand, who's to say Apple doesn't already have a transition plan? Perhaps they'll soon be changing the store name to the "i Store" or the "iT Store"!