Why do WiFi hubs "die" and need constant resetting?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RichP, Feb 11, 2007.

1. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

It seems like a common problem. You get a new hub, it works great for a while, then it slowly begins to need a reset, more and more frequently.

This has happened with my older airport and a recent netgear I purchased. These things dont have moving parts or anything, what is wearing out? Firmware resets dont help.

I just replaced my netgear with a new Airport, which is running flawlessly; wonder how it will be in 6 months?

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I've never had this problem, perhaps you have an interference issue with a neighbor or some electrical equipment in the house? I'd suggest trying a non-standard channel when you configure, like channel 2.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, if you reach a point where it's basically never working without a reset, I think the more likely culprit is not something like RFI but is something like bad power lines causing surges.... Routers from any of the majors -- Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, Apple, etc -- should have a very low base rate for failure. If you have the same failure mode on more than one router, I think you have to look for a common external cause.

Do you have both modem and router plugged into a surge suppressing power strip? Do you have / can you get a power strip possibly that also surge protects the incoming cable or DSL/telephone line?

(P.S. I've had the same Airport Extreme BaseStation running more or less continuously since Dec 2003 in four different locations).

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Which Base Station did you buy, Express or Extreme?

I've had my Express for over a year now and never so much as a single hiccup. It's worked flawlessly for me since the day I bought it. My mother purchased one for herself (along with a new iMac Core Duo :p ) and hers is flawless as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

5. RichP thread starter macrumors 68000

RichP

The early airport was the Airport Extreme, replaced by the Netgear, now running the new Airport Extreme "N". We have an airport express here that is running as a printerhub, that thing has been flawless and never needs a reset.