Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
OS X is the reason I like my Mac.

I also have a PC which I use for torrents, video converting and network storage. But I will be getting a new iMac soon.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I am a PhD student, employed 50% and working 150%. I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world, where I have to pay 1200$ per month for my 25m2 apartment. Do you really think I got any money to waste? And frankly, I have no idea about US economy or prices because I never been to the place, but where I live 20$ is worth two meals in the student cafeteria.

How in the world do you have money to spare? Seems to me like you're not a typical college student at all.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Thanks for a sensible reply ....

You know, there really ARE a lot of stupid "absolute" statements made about Macs -- usually by people who aren't all that computer literate in the first place. ANY time someone says "never" or "always' about a specific, you should raise an eyebrow and say, "Oh really??"

Of COURSE Macs can get viruses. But the fact remains that for every ONE notable Mac OS X virus that makes the rounds, there are literally thousands of them for Windows machines.

Of COURSE Macs crash sometimes. But the fact remains that OS X, being based on a very stable BSD Unix core, is a very stable operating system on the whole.

And claims that Macs use "stolen" code vs. code developed from the ground up? Well, that's just laughable. Microsoft has COUNTLESS pieces of their code they simply purchased from somebody else and slapped their name on it. Even the popular Pinball game they used to include with Windows was licensed from Maxis (the makers of Sim City). Microsoft Exchange Server (one of their "crown jewels" of server offerings) wasn't theirs either. They originally bought that from someone else. The "HyperTerminal" built into Windows? Another app purchased from another developer and rolled in. The defrag utility in Windows 2000? Microsoft just used a stripped down version of the commercial Diskeeper package for it.

That aside, I currently work in I.T. for an employer who uses about 60% Macs and 40% Windows machines in their offices. I'm happy to support both platforms, and I think the more you interact with BOTH on a daily basis, the more you realize the strengths and weaknesses of the two.

Windows is still a "must have" for accounting departments of mid to large sized companies, simply because high end accounting packages don't really exist as native OS X applications. Sure, you can run Quickbooks on one, or "MYOB" or something -- but you're not going to have an equivalent to Sage ACCPAC or Microsoft Dynamics/Great Plains or the like.

On the other hand? Creative types just work more efficiently in OS X, from what I've seen. Such things as universal OS-wide support for Adobe PDF document format is a huge plus over dealing with it in Windows. Printers behave better too, since you don't have monster-sized drivers installing and cluttering up the system tray with background tasks to monitor ink levels and tell you how to click to re-order supplies, etc. etc.

If there's one thing I'd like to see OS X improve on though, it's their Windows networking compatibility. It's certainly usable, but it takes far too long to connect up to a shared drive on a Windows server, or to browse available network resources.

Cool, you resurrected a 7 month old thread on a Mac lovers forum to tell everyone why you think that Macs suck.

This is a community of rational people that understand that PCs of the same specs can be had for much cheaper, but still prefer Macs for one reason or another. We aren't delusional idiots that think that we're living in some sort of magical ecosystem as Apple would have us believe. I don't feel compelled to go onto a Windows forum and tell them why I think that Windows sucks. Leave people to use what they wish.

My Mac is perfectly suitable for doing 3D and 2D motion graphic design, and I'm heavily invested in the Mac platform in terms of workflow and software. I've had only minor issues with hardware, which the Apple store fixed within hours and for free.

There are reasons, such as excellent resale value that Macs are superior, but you probably won't be back to check your quote notifications, so I won't bother going into it all.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I remember the trial where Microsoft reverse engineered the code for Stacker, because it was much better than the disc compression software written at Microsoft. Microsoft then included this software on Windows, which put Stacker out of business. The courts ruled for Stacker, but it was too late. I read the transcripts and Bill Gates was still in his whiny, petulant, stage. Quite amusing to read. But, he's actually matured into a decent guy. He supports a lot of causes and you can find him eating in local restaurants in Bellevue.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I'm pretty stunned to have read (in page 2 or so of this thread) one comment suggesting that people who cannot afford to purchase Apple products, or haven't 'done well' in life are inherently 'stupid'.

Because as we all know, poor people are lazy, stupid and worthless. When your self worth lies solely in the size of your wallet.....wow.:(

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Some thoughts from me.

1. Macs ARE PCs
2. I don't believe Macs are better than any other PC
3. I bought an iMac as it was the best All-In-One on the market.
4. I spend as much time in Windows on it as I do in OSX
5. People have spoken about Windows slowdown. Well, before I bought my iMac I had an "Enthusiast" PC that was over clocked to 4Ghz. It was as fast at the end as the day I bought it. I had it for 3 years and only upgraded the graphics card in that time.
6. Some things in Windows bug me. Some things in OSX do as well. In fact some of the things that OSX does just wind me up.
7. If you have plenty of cash and want a nice All-In-One then get an iMac. Mac laptops are fantastic machines with decent specs but expensive. If you are an idiot with too much money then buy a Mac Pro. If you need a Mac Pro then the sensible thing is not to buy one - not at the price and not with the old tech in it.
8. OSX or Windows are down to personal preference. My wife (not a tech person) finds Windows easier to use and more logical. Lots of people find OSX easier to use. Both are excellent Operating Systems.
9. Macs work with other Apple stuff better. In my experience iTunes is a bit ropey at best, I think the Windows version was written by a sadist. iPhones, iPads etc all play better with OSX than Windows.
10. Other peripherals seem to work better with Windows. Drivers are updated less often (in the main) for OSX than Windows. My networked laser all-in-one has issues with my iMac. With my Windows laptop "it just works".

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Of COURSE Macs can get viruses.
They CAN but they DON'T since none exist in the wild.
Macs can, Macs have, and Macs will in the future continue to get viruses.
Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing, as shown in the following link.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

Last edited:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
You know, there really ARE a lot of stupid "absolute" statements made about Macs -- usually by people who aren't all that computer literate in the first place. ANY time someone says "never" or "always' about a specific, you should raise an eyebrow and say, "Oh really??"

Of COURSE Macs can get viruses. But the fact remains that for every ONE notable Mac OS X virus that makes the rounds, there are literally thousands of them for Windows machines.

Of COURSE Macs crash sometimes. But the fact remains that OS X, being based on a very stable BSD Unix core, is a very stable operating system on the whole.

And claims that Macs use "stolen" code vs. code developed from the ground up? Well, that's just laughable. Microsoft has COUNTLESS pieces of their code they simply purchased from somebody else and slapped their name on it. Even the popular Pinball game they used to include with Windows was licensed from Maxis (the makers of Sim City). Microsoft Exchange Server (one of their "crown jewels" of server offerings) wasn't theirs either. They originally bought that from someone else. The "HyperTerminal" built into Windows? Another app purchased from another developer and rolled in. The defrag utility in Windows 2000? Microsoft just used a stripped down version of the commercial Diskeeper package for it.

That aside, I currently work in I.T. for an employer who uses about 60% Macs and 40% Windows machines in their offices. I'm happy to support both platforms, and I think the more you interact with BOTH on a daily basis, the more you realize the strengths and weaknesses of the two.

Windows is still a "must have" for accounting departments of mid to large sized companies, simply because high end accounting packages don't really exist as native OS X applications. Sure, you can run Quickbooks on one, or "MYOB" or something -- but you're not going to have an equivalent to Sage ACCPAC or Microsoft Dynamics/Great Plains or the like.

On the other hand? Creative types just work more efficiently in OS X, from what I've seen. Such things as universal OS-wide support for Adobe PDF document format is a huge plus over dealing with it in Windows. Printers behave better too, since you don't have monster-sized drivers installing and cluttering up the system tray with background tasks to monitor ink levels and tell you how to click to re-order supplies, etc. etc.

If there's one thing I'd like to see OS X improve on though, it's their Windows networking compatibility. It's certainly usable, but it takes far too long to connect up to a shared drive on a Windows server, or to browse available network resources.

What an unfortunate post. :D

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
They CAN but they DON'T since none exist in the wild.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing, as shown in the following link.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

This is true if you think about it. The internet runs on a Unix backbone. If someone could develop a virus for Unix, then they would take down the internet, not a handful of Macs.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
My iMac has frozen and crashed approximately 0 times in the 3 years i've owned it.

Thats the main reason. The next dozen reasons are just bonuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.