Why do you hate the NRA?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jul 16, 2013.

1. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I am always surprised the amount of hate I see towards the NRA in this forum.

If you are someone that has a distaste for the NRA I would like to know how much you actually know about the NRA and what it does(other then lobby) and/or why you dislike them.

2. macrumors 6502a

From my experience, people tend to pick things to like and dislike based off of their political views...more or less. Personally, I think the NRA is good to have around because I strongly believe in gun rights. Do I agree with everything they believe in? No, but I think they do more good than bad.

3. macrumors 65816

aerok

Because many of us disagree with their suggested solutions to guns violence. Their mentality of more guns to avoid gun related massacres is not something I can ever agree with.

4. macrumors 68000

sonicrobby

I agree with gun rights, I dont agree with organizations that tend to have not-so brilliant ideas and brainwash their followers into believing its the only way. Not saying everyone is brainwashed, Im just against organizations that have that effect.

5. macrumors 6502

lannister80

They're a lobbying group for manufacturers of deadly weapons, who want there to be *more* deadly weapons in circulation in America. That's why.

6. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Agreed.

They will do or say virtually anything to forward their interest of selling these weapons to as many people as they can, while downplaying the cost in human lives.

That sure is ... noble.

:rolleyes:

7. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I guess in a way it's no different than someone who is anti-abortion hating Planned Parenthood, despite everything else they do.

8. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I don't hate the NRA but they need to move out of the political arena.

9. macrumors 6502

lannister80

??? What else does the NRA do other than lobby for gun manufacturers? It's literally the only reason they exist. Sure, maybe they run some safety courses, etc, which is good, but the ONLY reason they exist is as a lobby group.

Planned Parenthood does TONS of stuff other than provide abortions (tiny percentage of overall services), and their mission is to support women's health, not to increase the number of abortions and do some other stuff on the side as PR.

10. macrumors 6502

Jesla

I don't hate the NRA…..but I do hate the ACLU……

Just say'n…….as a gun owner…...

11. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Why do you hate the ACLU?

12. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

So the NRA is only 3% lobbying?

Please tell us what makes up the other 97% of the NRA's services.

13. macrumors 68000

sonicrobby

Obviously he's a commie :p

14. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

You got there before me...because I can't type. But I'm interested in why you hate the ACLU also.

15. macrumors 603

Because the only interests they truly speak for and care about are the profits of arms and weapons manufacturers.

They don't care about the general public AT ALL. Just like the majority of these lobbying organizations. They should be illegal.

16. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

What does the NRA do other than lobby to ensure their true members get to keep selling guns?

I know they suggest solutions to the gun control issue that nets them and their corporate members even more money and they extract fees from their members.

What else do they provide? What do I gain by paying dues and joining them?

17. macrumors G3

Huntn

Regarding the OP, extremely simple: they are pro-gun zealots who are against any reasonable, any regulation of firearms, because they are so worried the government will come take their guns. They care more about their guns, than the adverse effect guns have on society. Take any other regulated item as an example, say automobiles, they would be against the registration of automobiles so car ownership would be tracked.

Btw, I don't hate them, just think they (NRA leadership) are extremely dangerous.

18. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

He doen't like civil liberties??

probably doesn't much like unions either.

Attached Files:

19. macrumors G3

Huntn

You'll hate them (ALCU) until one dark night when the jack-booted thugs, show up at your house, slip a black hood over your head and whisk you away to never be heard from again... :cool:

20. macrumors 604

chrono1081

This pretty much sums it up. Not to mention I never see a push from them for gun safety, only gun rights.

21. macrumors G3

Huntn

They throw that in every now and then...

22. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

But since the NRA fights for gun rights, I'll be able to fight the thugs off.:p

I use to be a member of the NRA, but dropped my membership a long time ago. While I support gun rights, I don't think that it means that there shouldn't be some reasonable restrictions on the types of guns and ammunition that most people can use.

23. macrumors 6502

Read -> http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Les...74004676&sr=1-1&keywords=more+guns+less+crime

Can be had for as little as $10, if you're willing to read it with an open mind and can't afford the $10, IM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

24. tshrimp, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

macrumors 6502

I like the NRA. Good to see a group that fights for the 2nd Amendment.

----------

I agree with Huntn. That is something that if forgotten about the NRA. They do address the importance of gun safety.

As far as the ACLU goes, I found a good link...so I think.

It shows the pros and cons via quotes.

http://aclu.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001316

25. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

You can save the $10 and just point to the studies and statistics on which the author bases his arguments.

I'm very willing to read that.